Sold First Novel--Working on #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbarabarnett.com
What a year. End of February, Pyr acquired my debut novel The Apothecary's Curse. It will be released October 11. I'm 24,000 words into book 2 in the hope that there will, in fact, be a #2 (if not a series). TAC works fine as a standalone (always intended that way), but as it became clear while writing that there were some very unplucked threads, a book 2 seems a good bet. So.

The sequel is all outlined/sketched out/storyboarded, but the real task is keeping up the same level of tension, stakes and overall feel of the first one. This one will require more world-creation as I introduce a place only referred to in book one (and obliquely, at that!)

So. Goal for the rest of the year is to finish first draft of Book 2 (and await publication of TAC in October). And--not to obsess over Amazon and Goodreads numbers (or reviews as they start to emerge over the next month or so).

But most important: stay grounded and realistic, earn out my advance and pave the way for a second novel :)

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, and good luck on the next book!

And--not to obsess over Amazon and Goodreads numbers (or reviews as they start to emerge over the next month or so).

I have a feeling that if I get published, I'm going to be obsessing those numbers haha. My skin still isn't as thick as it should be, and I feel I'd be worrying about if those numbers were what I'd like to see if I was a reader looking for a book.

sasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbarabarnett.com
Congratulations, and good luck on the next book!

I have a feeling that if I get published, I'm going to be obsessing those numbers haha. My skin still isn't as thick as it should be, and I feel I'd be worrying about if those numbers were what I'd like to see if I was a reader looking for a book.

My skin can be very thin. We'll see as time goes on. Good luck with your project :)

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, ye of the hardened outer shell. Good luck with book 2. Personally, I've found that the lessons learned in book 1 make the second book that much easier to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.