• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

How do you deal with writer's block in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
I have written out the first two thirds of my story, but I keep coming up with writer's block on the last third. I cannot find an ending that works to build into without it becoming paradoxical. Or there are a few endings I have that do work logically, but I find them to be underwhelming and just not as compelling. I feel that ending can still be a let down, even if everything comes together, if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any tips on what do about writers block where you want to finish it but just can't seem to bring all the elements to a close, and not sure what to write therefore?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's really common to have worries like these when you're writing the middle of the book (and here, "middle" can mean anything from 25% to 75% of the book). We worry. It's natural.

Just keep writing.

If you can't somehow get going, take a couple of weeks off if you can, to give you some space. When you return to the work, write letters to your characters, write their laundry lists, write anything. Just stop thinking about whether the ending's going to work or not, and write. Anything, pretty much. Just to get going.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm in much the same place -- again -- right now. It kills my output for weeks at a time and sends me to the bottom of a dark pit of non-writing. I try to climb back out by writing something else, maybe even several different things, to avoid angsting over the same stuck story, so its importance becomes less and less as time goes on and I can once again start thinking about finding a more satisfying ending.

Writing is hard.

-Derek

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You know there's an entire sub-forum about coping with writer's block?

I'm going to move this there, but in the meantime, you should know this is so very very common for writer's of all sorts that it's on the verge of being "standard."

Different approaches work for different writers—and different books/pieces.

Try writing something you don't plan to use, about your characters or story. Possibly a letter from one of them, or a diary entry.

Try putting the current work aside and writing something else.

Possibly your writer brain just needs a break entirely. Try taking a week or a month off, and don't even look at the current thing.

Go for walks. Make something with your hands. Garden. Read a lot. Read things that you might not otherwise read.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this is writer's block and you'll still come up with a satisfying ending, but it's also possible you've written yourself into a corner. You may need to figure out where you took the wrong turn, go back to that point, and take the story down another path.

I usually try to avoid this by making sure I have a good ending before I start writing, but even so I've occasionally had to backtrack and rethink things. Best of luck with it.

s.cummings

exploring life - one word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
medium.com
You are not alone in this, friend.

As was stated above me -- the best thing you can do is just keep writing. Maybe you will write have to write all the endings before finally realizing the ending is one you haven't written yet! :)

In future, one thing I have found in my writing, knowing the end (or having a good idea) before I start. It doesn't have to be a structured outline that will "hamper the creativity" Just give yourself a skeleton to work with.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.