Can't connect with narrative - tell me your secrets writing gods!!!!

Jotomcas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been very fortunate to have partial and full requests to my manuscript, however the last two responses to partials have both mentioned "Cannot connect with the narrative" and "Something missing in the voice"

They mentioned specific parts of my manuscript in the rejection, so I don't know if it's a form comment, but if it's not, I'm still trying to get my head around those terms. Aren't narrative and voice my storytelling style? Does that mean my writing is horrible and I should just get a job at the carwash?

Input appreciated.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
a) Rack up some posts and get thee to Share Your Work. People there will help you figure out what needs help (if anything).

b) They might not have been form Rs, but they sound a lot like subjective "not for me"s, which may not be helpful, but should also not be read as "quit writing, you hack."

c) Writing is like any skill. It can be improved. You're welcome to work at the carwash, but there's no reason not to keep writing if you do. :)

A.E.Fisher

The first draft of anything is shit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jesuisley.com
a) Rack up some posts and get thee to Share Your Work. People there will help you figure out what needs help (if anything).

b) They might not have been form Rs, but they sound a lot like subjective "not for me"s, which may not be helpful, but should also not be read as "quit writing, you hack."

c) Writing is like any skill. It can be improved. You're welcome to work at the carwash, but there's no reason not to keep writing if you do. :)

^^^:Clap:

I completely agree. SYW is amazing for feedback, and you can also try beta readers if you're looking for feedback on the entire MS. If you're really invested in the MS, try hiring a line-editor or have your MS professionally critiqued. I've worked with authors on their MS in the past and it's always ended up being a wonderful, collaborative experience.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been very fortunate to have partial and full requests to my manuscript, however the last two responses to partials have both mentioned "Cannot connect with the narrative" and "Something missing in the voice"

They mentioned specific parts of my manuscript in the rejection, so I don't know if it's a form comment, but if it's not, I'm still trying to get my head around those terms. Aren't narrative and voice my storytelling style? Does that mean my writing is horrible and I should just get a job at the carwash?

Input appreciated.

How many partial and full requests? What did the agents say before these last two partial rejections?

"Cannot connect with the narrative" could mean anything, but in my experience, most often means the reader doesn't like the way you tell the story. "Something missing in the voice" means the agent doesn't know what voice is, but probably intends to say pretty much the same thing as the comment on narrative.

But comments just mean you need to keep writing and keep submitting. You didn't expect writing fiction at a professional level to come easily, did you?

Until and unless an agent or editor tells you specifically what's wrong, and how to fix it, you can safely ignore all comments because all just mean "No", and none have any real meaning other than "I don't think I can sell this".

As for the carwash, ninety-nine out of a hundred who try writing are not going to sell a novel, or a short story, and are not going to make any money at all. Most who do sell something are not going to earn enough to live on. Few who do manage to sell with some regularity will even make minimum wage.

All you can do is write and submit, write and submit, until you succeed, or until you decide something else might be more your cup of tea.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
These are polite ways of saying, 'Not for me,' that's for sure - but perhaps focus on having a strong concept that gets the plot rolling very early. As for the voice, it really depends on the kind of story you're telling, but I've always been advised to try to make the voice clever but likable. Which isn't terribly helpful, I know, but might give you some good ideas.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
I think a couple of rejects aren't enough to make you doubt the book enough to hire an editor.

I love the idea of SYW much more than I like the reality of it. Same thing with writer's groups and beta readers. In the end, all they can really offer you is affirmation that it might be good enough. Agents aren't searching our forums looking for promising new talent, and that's all that matters. You might get some good feedback, but you might get people who are wrong. And if you get good feedback, it might give you confidence you might not deserve. And even when you get that, it doesn't really mean anything.

So understand that it is your, and only your book. That you, and only you, can make it better. Dedicate yourself to that. Read the book a bunch of times. Read it out loud. Read it with the idea that anything in it can be changed or cut, and then change or cut anything that's not working -- not just those things that are good enough, but anything that doesn't directly benefit your book. Once you're published and successful, you'll get the occasional reader indulgence. Until then, you have to write with the understanding that once the agent, or the editor, or the acquisitions committee puts the book down, they're not picking it back up (even if that's not true, write like it is). At this stage, there is no such thing as "eh, it's good enough." Write until every sentence sings.

if you've done that you'll know you've done all you can do. It ought to be enough.

It won't be, but it ought to :)

Good luck.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
SYW may be the greatest thing since peanut butter and onion sandwiches, but my experience is that critique groups of every size and type destroy at least nine writers for each one the group helps. What are that stats on novels sold by those who have used SYW.

This is the complete opposite of my experience, James.

It's true that writers who blindly follow all the advice given in critique groups might not make the best decisions for their work: but very few writers do that; and in SYW, there are so many different opinions given that our members have to actually think about what might be wrong in their work--and that, alone, is very valuable in a writer's development.

It's been shown, over and over again, that writers who give critiques learn a huge amount about how to improve their own work; and that receiving critiques accelerates writers through the learning process, and makes them improve as writers much more quickly than they would otherwise do. (I think some of this is described in Peter Elbow's widely-known book, Writing With Power, but I might be wrong.)

Why don't you go to SYW and compile those stats for us? It wouldn't take you too long.

As for hiring a line editor or professional "editor" that's absolutely guaranteed failure on a stick. It's the worst possible thing anyone who wants to be a writer can possibly do.

It all depends on how the writer and editor work together.

If the editor imposes changes on the writer, and the writer doesn't question them, then it is not going to become a learning experience for the writer, and so it will help with that one book, but not with further books.

If, however, the editor suggests changes, explains why they're required, and offers alternatives, which is how good editors work, then the writer is going to be given a brilliant lesson in how and why to improve their own work. They can then take what they've learned from that experience and apply it to every single thing they've ever written.

Even if, by some part the Red Sea miracle, the worked on manuscript found favor with an editor, how in blazes are you going to do all the work required getting the manuscript ready for publication when you couldn't even write it for yourself in the first place? The ditor is not going to give you enough time to run back to that hired editor each time he wants something changed, and you couldn't afford it, anyway. If you want to be a writer you MUST be able to do those thing for yourself, or you may as well just put that hired editor in touch with the publishing house editor, and let them do the job without you.

Logic, James. Logic.

If the writer managed to work productively with the first editor, then why would they suddenly be unable to work productively with the second?

And with all the experience you claim to have, as a writer and an editor, then you should know that working with an editor does not equate to having someone else write your book for you; you should know that editors work with their authors, and don't just steam-roller them into making changes they don't understand; you should know that for writers, listening to a skilled editor's advice is one of the quickest ways to improve as a writer that there is.

Jotomcas

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for putting things into perspective for me. A no is a no and I'll just soldier on. I still have 4 full manuscripts out. The two rejections were both based off partials.

I have such a love/hate relationship with beta readers and critique groups, I absolutely realise their value, but then I run into problems when one wants more romance and another suggests I turn the heat down a bit. I start thinking perhaps my original vision was better, then I tell myself that my ego is out of control and binge eat ice cream, peppermint chocolate chip for anyone interested in the specifics.
I do enjoy feedback though and I'm very curious about SYW. I better get my post on *finger snap*

I can also see the benefit in an editor, but I'm not at that place quite yet. I'm on minimum plus tips at the carwash :tongue

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I have such a love/hate relationship with beta readers and critique groups, I absolutely realise their value, but then I run into problems when one wants more romance and another suggests I turn the heat down a bit. I start thinking perhaps my original vision was better, then I tell myself that my ego is out of control and binge eat ice cream, peppermint chocolate chip for anyone interested in the specifics.
I do enjoy feedback though and I'm very curious about SYW. I better get my post on *finger snap*

I think for me it was useful to distinguish between what seemed like storyline feedback (too much heat, etc.) and structural feedback. I got some responses on plot/character stuff that puzzled me (and that didn't result in me making changes), but I also got things like "this section was slow" and "I got confused here" that were really helpful.

All critiques are the truth of that reader's experience, but not all of them are going to mean you should change things. (Although I will say if a lot of people tell you that, for example, your MC is unrelatable/too passive/that sort of thing, it may be worth considering.) If you think of it more as figuring out if you're communicating what you want to communicate, that might help filter out the parts of the critiques that might be useful to you.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
As for hiring a line editor or professional "editor" that's absolutely guaranteed failure on a stick. It's the worst possible thing anyone who wants to be a writer can possibly do.

Mr. Ritchie

As a writer, it behooves you to cultivate an ability to control your tone.

That is, stop making blanket assertions.