Get your British Titles Correct!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Impelled by an egregious book blurb that mangles title usage, KJ Charles, who writes romance novels, has posted an extremely informative diatribe on her Blog about British title usage.

Bad title usage will make me DNF an historical story so hard I dent a wall. With my Kindle, even. So thank you Ms. Charles so very, very much!

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
There are so many sources on the Internet for the correct usage of British titles. I don't understand how authors keep getting it wrong.

Also: I was a huge fan of Downton Abbey and when they used to do promotion for it, they would refer to Cora as "Lady Cora" sometimes. She's not Lady Cora; she's Lady Grantham!

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Citizengrey, why's that? As I understand it, that's a British phrasing.

Shudder.

I have had enough of, a suffiency of, an abundance of, or even a slight surfeit of but I am fed up with; literally stuffed with it.

No idea where it's come from, probably the same stable as "can I get a cappuccino" instead of "may I have a cappuccino" but I suppose all will be absorbed into acceptable usage at some point...

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
That's how language works: it changes.

Indeed it does! that's kinda (you see what I did there) what I meant by "all will be absorbed into acceptable usage ".

My kid's kids will think my usage "quaint", Chaucer wouldn't understand I word I say (c: