Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
I was just reading this thread here at AW about the different romance genres.

Realizing that while my novel fits under the general paranormal heading, I suspect it breaks down further into the 'fantasy' realm under that.

I think.

Reason being, it includes alternate history. My two clans have been working either in favour of humanity, or against.

As such, one of my characters, for example, lived as William Shakespeare...and Bram Stoker. Another was Amelia Earhart. Bad guys had a hand in the JFK assassination. But humanity has been unaware of them, so I'm not sure that 'counts'? (Thinking of the example of Laurell K Hamilton's books, everyone is aware of the vampires/fey)

But, the good guys are also part angel. Bad guys are from Adam's first wife, Lillith.

So, I'm confused how to categorize it, when it comes time to querying. Does it even matter, to an agent? Is 'Paranormal' good enough, or should it be further broken down into 'Paranormal/Fantasy'? Cause it also could fit under 'Light Paranormal'.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Sounds like fantasy, with a liberal helping of Secret History. Depending on how much romance is in it, could it sell as mainstream fantasy as well as PNR?

Really, unless you're planning on self-publishing and need tags, PNR is probably an effective classification.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
If it has a huge chunk of Romance, it can be Paranormal Romance.

Alt fantasy history can still be fantasy or speculative fiction (which still falls under the umbrella of SFF), but the mention of angels and demons can narrow it down to Paranormal.

So, Paranormal or Urban Fantasy (if set in contemporary setting/timeframe).

If it has a romance plot line that takes center stage, then Paranormal Romance.

Last edited:

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Thanks to everyone that responded!
Go look up comp books and see how they're marketed, and query from there.

That's tricky. I don't know about anywhere else, but here, you can't find Laurell K Hamilton, JR Ward, and Christine Feehan in the same section. Seriously. And this is something of a mutt relation of all of them, sans vampires. It's like JR Ward's Angel series, and Christine Feehan's non vamp had a love child, with the alternative history, serial killer, and 'tude of Laurell K. Hamilton.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
That's tricky. I don't know about anywhere else, but here, you can't find Laurell K Hamilton, JR Ward, and Christine Feehan in the same section. Seriously. And this is something of a mutt relation of all of them, sans vampires. It's like JR Ward's Angel series, and Christine Feehan's non vamp had a love child, with the alternative history, serial killer, and 'tude of Laurell K. Hamilton.

Well, what sections of the bookstore do you see those authors?

I would think most of them would be in the huge SFF section (SFF bookshelves has tons of fantasy and scifi and science fantasy), or a narrow Paranormal Romance section. The Romance section can have some paranormal and fantasy Romances as well.

Most speculative fiction would be found in the SFF section, (or in the Literary section if it's literary?), I would think.

I've read paranormal books set in Steampunk Victorian settings with Alt History elements, too. They were in the SFF section.

Fantasy is the big umbrella term. Paranormal is more of a specific "sub-genre", I guess you can say.

If Romance is a major plotline and ends with Happily Ever After or a Happy For Now ending (with couple together), then it can be Paranormal Romance or maybe Fantasy Romance.

If the action-y or general SFF plot is a huge part of the plotline, while the romance part is more of a subplot (or if couple doesn't get together at the end), then it can be Urban Fantasy or Contemporary Fantasy, or just Fantasy.

(I don't know if agents want to specify Alt-fantasy? Historical Alt Fantasy? Either way, still fantasy.)

Everything you mentioned all sounds like Fantasy to me, or the huge umbrella term, speculative fiction.

Most likely a book like that would be shelved with all sorts of speculative books in the SFF (or Romance, if it's Romance.)

If Romance is a huge part of it, then Paranormal Fantasy or Fantasy Romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.