AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: AFrankOpinion (Robert Frank)

figuring it all out

AFrankOpinion (Robert Frank)

afrankopinion failed to pay some of it's writers and refuses to communicate with the writers about how they intend to resolve their problems. Beware of this company! They pay pennies on the pound for writing and then blow you off!

Gone
    Got any contact information, Sireen? That makes it easier to locate the exact company you're talking about.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

figuring it all out
    The name of the company is afrankopinion. He's based out of Ocala, Florida. Everything he does is online. I think the address, off the top of my head, is afrankopinion@gmail.com. It was naive for me to sign up with him. Live and learn! I was just getting started online freelancing, eager and enthusiastic and stupid! I worked for him for a few months. Last month for some reason he tanked and couldn't or wouldn't pay some of his writers. I contacted him several times. He initially e-mailed me with excuses..and then absolutely nothing. I e-mailed several fellow writers for his service. He paid a few (though later I found out that these seemed to be associates of his personally as they are also posters on his "the Peoples Ocala" Blog.) The rest of us, he's stiffed. He isn't willing to communicate though I have made several attempts. I finally turned him in to the Attorney General in Florida. I'm not sure if this will do any good, but it's worth the effort!
    Last edited by Sireen; 04-27-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Evil, undead Chihuahua SuperModerator Haggis's Avatar
    The website is located here.

It seems that, among other things, they offer research papers for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway
    Stewie the Chihuey
    featuring the lovely and talented

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

figuring it all out

Angry

The real reason I'm making a stink about this is because so many new writers get scammed on the Internet. It's not nice to mess with people's dreams and talent! Playing nice with this guy just doesn't work. Newbies are fair game. Fortunately, we can be trained!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Let's see...a "commercial" site that uses a free webhost...webpages horribly designed and written...sells research papers....

Why would anyone who considers himself a writer even consider working for such a place? At the very least, how could you trust someone who helps others cheat?

And the "but I've got to start somewhere" line won't work here. Places like this aren't a starting point: they're miles behind the start line.

ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out
    Admittedly, my thinking was flawed. One day I was online, thinking about how much I wanted to write for a living. I found a site for freelance writers and started looking for work immediately. Sometimes I am enthusiastic to a fault. Anyway, afrankopinion was the second "job" I found. I've already admitted my decision was foolish, wasn't I humble enough for you?
    It was a mistake. Not particularily unique however, as a lot of newbies on the Internet make the same mistake.
    Before you get too sanctimonious about it though, I do make a living writing, however marginal, with or with out your endorsement. Unlike some saintly and all knowing personas, I occassionally learn the hard way. That doesn't mean I enjoy seeing others go down the same garden path. Hence, my warning.

Gone
    Easy, folks.

Sireen, I don't believe CaoPaux expected you to grovel. CP brings up a good point, though, which is that companies that help others cheat probably aren't very reliable about paying their authors. This, too, is a good thing for newbies to keep in mind, and can only help the people you say you want to warn.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

figuring it all out
    I understand CP's point. That is part of the point to my original post as well. I realize that I am putting myself up to scrutiny by posting a message about working for a dubious company. It's worth the price if it saves some well meaning novice some pain.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Saintly persona that I am, I absolve you of this newbie sin and charge you to submit your complaint to http://www.writersweekly.com/. The angelic Ms. Hoy is very good at smiting dead beats and getting folks their money.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out
    CP, you're wise and benevolent, and might I add..a snappy dresser.
    Peace
    J