Netflix's "Stranger Things"

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Just got into it recently, though it's been on my list since it came out (too many other series to wade through :gaahWhy must there be so many??) Just finished Ep. 5, and I'm loving it! Really good story on its own and so full of 80s homage easter eggs!

Since I haven't gotten to the end yet, have no idea what season two may bring... Hope they've left some things dangling so we have continuation from season one, and not a thing like American Horror story where they "claim" there's a connection there, but you have to squint really hard to imagine it...

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i also just read that Patton Oswalt is joining the series! oooooooooooooooooooo

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just watching it now.

Anyone else reminded of the Mass Effect 3 chord-heavy ominous music when the scary things happen? Like, not exactly music, just that one heavy, buzzing sound that came when the Reapers (in ME3) came? It's very similar in this, and the character who got killed inside the monster-think was named "Sheppard". Coincidence?

I choose to believe it's an homage!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Watched it. Loved it. Jealous of the story. Also really liked the last D&D game and how it was teasing at how we would learn more about the knight (I assume that is the sheriff), the princess (El), and the field of flowers or whatever it was called (upside down world). Really cool nod there.

Also, kind of think the government grabbed the sheriff to bring him onboard (or maybe he worked for the government in the big city?). Kind of also think El is fighting other monsters from that world now (hence the other monster statue thrown into the latest D&D game).

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I didn't even get ANY of the D&D references. Maybe it's because I don't know squat about the game. Sigh. thanks for 411. I will pay closer attention when I watch it the second time around (my husband wants to see it, so I will watch it again).

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I didn't even get ANY of the D&D references. Maybe it's because I don't know squat about the game. Sigh. thanks for 411. I will pay closer attention when I watch it the second time around (my husband wants to see it, so I will watch it again).

I've never played the game either. I just took it as the writers having fun when the kids were like "But what about everything we didn't get answers for!" and kind of when they gave the examples those are just the ones that popped into my head. I could be going crazy, but I think that dialogue line was specifically written with that in mind.

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
I loved how they handled Barbara:

She didn't have any friends except Nancy, the town had already spent a week hyping up Will's disappearance, and we didn't see Barbara's parents as much as we saw the kids, so it made sense that the boys' relief that Will came back would be larger from a narrative perspective than Barbara's parents' and Nancy's grief at Barbara dying.

More importantly, the writers didn't downplay Barbara's death. The characters downplayed her for the reasons above, but Nancy didn't downplay anything, and you could just feel her isolation at having to be the only person grieving that her friend didn't make it, while surrounded by people celebrating the boy who did make it.

Last edited:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
do a search on Youtube for "A Stranger Things Christmas"....it's a mash up with Peanuts! and it's hilarious. Eleven is even more awesome in the world of Charlie Brown!

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only on episode 7, so I'm still trying to avoid spoilers/am not reading this thread too closely. But I wanted to say that it's SUCH a good show! I loved the D&D references and the amazing tension throughout. Also, how cute are those kids?

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that! My husband loved the series, and he is also a big fan of...you know, that other thing, and I got to show him this. He absolutely loved it!

you're welcome celia. and thanx to Intro for the help with the link....

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
starting my second run thru of the series. watched the first episode last night. think i'll do an episode per night.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the series! It took so long because I wanted to show it to my fiancee from the beginning, and we had other shows we had to get through first haha. It was amazing! I can't wait for the next season :hooray:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
starting my second run thru of the series. watched the first episode last night. think i'll do an episode per night.

I did as well and noticed a lot of foreshadowing (I tend to miss that first go), and some other cool nods to other 80s movies.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
D&D session, Will saying the demigorgon got him. That is just one. Will have to find others as I watch.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
has anyone seen the animated meme going around of Winona Ryder's faces....and someone added in pizza slices. i can't stop laughing at it. it's on Facebook, but could be found on other places by now.
someone needs to make a TV series that does that. cuz that's what we need on tv right now!

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
can't believe no one is talking about the new trailer for season 2 that dropped during the super bowl. or maybe y'all are still too hungover from drinkin all night?
but i seriously cannot wait!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I loved this. Felt very my childhood and very Stand By Me. Can't wait for season 2. I'm not talking about the trailer because I have never watched a second of football on TV in my entire life. And I don't have a TV.