AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Netflix's "Stranger Things"

Have you guys seen the trailers for the new season? They've been circling the internet for a couple of weeks. What'd you think?

It will be difficult to eclipse the first season but there's enough going on to have me hope for the best.

Aerospace engineer turned writer Laer Carroll's Avatar

STRANGER THINGS season 2 done & scheduled

Just saw a video Netflix put out with the creators and cast of Stranger Things. I was excited to hear that season 2 has been completed and that the 9 episodes are scheduled for Halloween, October 31st. Here's the link to the YouTube copy of the 45 minute vid. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69nhy6dKzF4

It was fascinating to put faces to the two brothers who wrote, produced, and directed season 1 and 2. So young! And so clearly fans of SF and fantasy.

The five kid actors at the core of the movie were also amazing. One minute seasoned professionals and the next instant kids again. Then back to being pros. I'm trying to remember where I was at their age, and if there was even a hint of an ambition to grow toward some goal, some activity I wanted to spend my life on.

What about you? What was your reaction to season 1? What were you like when you were as young as the actors are? Did you have any connection to SF/F?
    Last edited by Laer Carroll; 06-14-2017 at 02:40 AM.

practical experience, FTW
    season 2 is done and ready to be shown and we gotta wait 4 months????????????? can't....go...on....need....it....now....LOL

season 1 was just...phenomenal. every episode was just so satisfying but left me hungry for more.

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    I suspect by "done", they mean filming has wrapped? Bet there's a ton of post-production stuff left to do?

I'm definitely looking forward to this!
    Last edited by Introversion; 06-14-2017 at 04:04 AM.

I was so happy to see this thread pop up. I've been wondering when they were going to have the second season. I loved it. Watched it in 3 days! haha It was awesome. So many things I liked about it. I'm eager to see the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Introversion View Post
    I suspect by "done", they mean filming has wrapped? Bet there's a ton of post-production stuff left to do?
    Oh, clever! You're right! Just an hour ago I found the following 19-minute interview with the brothers. At one point they mention your very point. Shooting done, taking a short break before post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcLXWF8K-_I

I watched the first one last summer, alone, in my farmhouse in the woods. At night. It was not a smart move.

I'll probably do it again with the second season, anyway. XD

Most Unbecoming of an AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Moving over to Movies, TV, and Theater
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    Number Thirty-Nine Skink, short story, Asimov's, Mar/Apr 2017
    Pinned, poem, Asimov's, May/Jun 2017
    Books of the Risen Sea, novelette, Asimov's, Sep/Oct 2017
    The Secret Life of Bots, novelette, Clarkesworld no.132, Sept 2017
    Winner of the AnLab Reader's Award for Best Novelette and the Asimov's Reader's Award for Best Novella of 2016.

"Nolite te bastardes covfefendum" -- Anon.

Thread merge.

I find ur lack of faith disturbing mellymel's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
    Season 2 trailer is out. Looks good to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS2L7WPIO4
    "The good thing about telling the truth is that there's nothing to remember."--John Ford Noonan (playwright)
    "Falling on your face is still moving forward."--Ron Maranian (comedian)

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

Wow! Dragon's Lair and Thriller and Ghostbuster's costumes!
    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London (SPOILER ALERT: I won!) http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

I find ur lack of faith disturbing mellymel's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
    Dragon's Lair...I SUCKED at that game! LOL
    "The good thing about telling the truth is that there's nothing to remember."--John Ford Noonan (playwright)
    "Falling on your face is still moving forward."--Ron Maranian (comedian)

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

It was a pretty hard game. I always watched other people play it in the arcade, because it looked so cool and was fun to watch. Nobody could get that far.
    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London (SPOILER ALERT: I won!) http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

Boo Radley with a laptop
    Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
    It was a pretty hard game. I always watched other people play it in the arcade, because it looked so cool and was fun to watch. Nobody could get that far.
    If I recall correctly, the game was just a laser disc player hooked up to a monitor and a control unit. When it was time to execute a certain action, the controls became briefly active, and using the correct control triggered the survival scene, while using the incorrect control or failing to use any control triggered the death scene.

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley_S_Lewis View Post
    If I recall correctly, the game was just a laser disc player hooked up to a monitor and a control unit.
    That's right, and why it looked so fantastic compared to the competition of the day.

FWIW, you can buy the game for your phone these days. The storage needed for all those frames of animation doesn't amount to much, compared to what your phone can hold.

You can also rent it (and Space Ace) from Netflix.

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    My one shining moment as an elementary school kid in the Canadian mid-west was having a crowd of people at a big arcade in the shopping mall, screaming and hollering encouragement because I was able to finish the game. When Dragon's Lair came out, some places actually dropped a second monitor on top of the cabinet so that the crowd could see. It was always the same thing; people paid little attention to someone starting a game, but if they lasted more than a couple of minutes, they stuck around. If they lasted over five, people got really excited, and if you made it all the way to the dragon's lair at the end of the game, there was normally a huge crowd around you by that point, because word had gotten around the arcade that someone knew what they were doing.

That was probably the first time in my young nerd life that my nerd life choice felt completely justified. Seeing it pop up in that Stranger Things trailer was like pushing me into the deep end of the nostalgia pool with no warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    My one shining moment as an elementary school kid in the Canadian mid-west was having a crowd of people at a big arcade in the shopping mall, screaming and hollering encouragement because I was able to finish the game. When Dragon's Lair came out, some places actually dropped a second monitor on top of the cabinet so that the crowd could see. It was always the same thing; people paid little attention to someone starting a game, but if they lasted more than a couple of minutes, they stuck around. If they lasted over five, people got really excited, and if you made it all the way to the dragon's lair at the end of the game, there was normally a huge crowd around you by that point, because word had gotten around the arcade that someone knew what they were doing.

That was probably the first time in my young nerd life that my nerd life choice felt completely justified. Seeing it pop up in that Stranger Things trailer was like pushing me into the deep end of the nostalgia pool with no warning.
    we need places like this to come back. not like chuck e cheese or dave and busters...but a classic arcade game only place....

ah hell...let's make one! who's with me?!

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellymel View Post
    Season 2 trailer is out. Looks good to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS2L7WPIO4
    Looks amazing! I'm going to have to watch the first season again, I think, to get caught up to speed. But I'm excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz Connelly View Post
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Wow! Dragon's Lair and Thriller and Ghostbuster's costumes!
    My childhood all over again! Except without the horror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz Connelly View Post
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

Millie Bobby Brown is on the Steve Colbert show on Thursday, the 11th. Interesting date coincidence, as she is named Eleven in Stranger Things.
    Last edited by Laer Carroll; 08-12-2017 at 01:28 AM.

A DAY LATER

Here's the MBB interview.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    First season was incredible. I honestly cannot wait until the next series out. The writing and acting is superb all round.

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas Articulate Lady's Avatar
    Juat read through this thread and I was floored! Some amazing Stranger Things fans we have here! I binged watched the 8 hours in one day, back to back, cause I am well, NUTS, to put it lightly, haha. But I enjoyed all the actors even Winona Ryder. I LOVED Girl Interrupted in which she portrayed Susana Kaysen. I think that was her best work ever, and since I have a soft spot for her because of that, I let her bad acting slide.

It started slow for me at first, some of it was a laid on a little thick and you just had the sense of "wanting to get on with it" during the first three episodes, but then things sure did kick up on notch! I enjoyed the kids the most though. Very Goonies and it paid homage to many sci-fi movies I grew up with.

But the new trailer, wow! Ghostbusters, Thriller, and OMG Dragon's Lair??!!! HOLY FLASHBACK BATMAN!!!

Can't wait for Season 2. Kudos for Netflix for making this happen.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast