Netflix's "Stranger Things"

The JoJo

Licensed to chill
Registered
Reaction score
I was recommended this by my brother, and it did not disappoint. As someone who enjoys writing about children, I felt like the young characters were very well written and acted. My only quibble was that the final ten minutes seemed to drag on too long, it felt to me like it could have concluded much quicker once the final showdown was over.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, a Stranger Things thread!

I loved the first season, and I hope second season will be just as good. It's hard to follow up such a stellar first season. They'd better not try anything silly like killing off my favorite characters.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
It premiers later this month. I think the 27th.

I binge-watched the first season a second time toward the new one. It's still spooky. I can also see more of Stephen King in it. And did any of you connect the Bath with the flotation tank in Altered States?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I did think of that as well. Then I immediately thought, "Well, I just dated myself with that reference, didn't I?"

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Today ST season 2 became available. So I bought a month of Netflix though I never otherwise bother with it. Then when I'm done with ST2 I'll cancel my subscription.

Last edited:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Today ST season 2 became available. So I bought a month of Netflix though I never otherwise bother with it. Then when I'm done with ST2 I'll cancel my subscription.

you do realize that they are greenlit for a season 3 and 4

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
you do realize that they are greenlit for a season 3 and 4

I hadn't actually heard this, but I'm not surprised.

I am concerned however, that they'll run out of steam. Hopefully, this isn't a Matrix situation where they only wanted to tell one story, and quickly had to start hacking together more plot-lines to justify the new order of seasons.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Glad to hear there'll be more ST seasons. I'm trying to only watch an episode or two a night because I know I'll be sad when I've finished this season.

I am concerned ... that they'll run out of steam.

I suspect that depends more on the creativity of the writers/producers the Duffer brothers.

I vaguely recall they were asked about running out of story. I think they said that their premise is so big it could support tons of stories. A bigger worry for them is that their core actors, the kids, are growing up quickly. And they're bound to be offered more parts. So they might not be available during the same production windows the brothers would have.
I almost cried when Eleven showed up. I know all the publicity said she would, but the actual event had an unexpectedly big emotional impact on me. How is it that a fictional character can be so compelling? Be more real to me than my ACTUAL cousins that I've never met?!!!

Last edited:

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
I was worried that season 2 wouldn't live up to the hype(and greatness) of season 1. The new trailers gave me a little more hope. By the end of the first episode I was back into the story fast almost as if there wasn't any break between season 1 & season 2. One of the only complaints(if you can call it that) of season 1 for me was how slow it started(setting everything up.) Season 2 throws you back in pretty quickly and it never lets up. It's rare that a show as good as stranger things(season 1) can top itself but I think season 2 did just that.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished season 2 and I loved it! I'm happy to hear they're doing more seasons of this. I'm very hooked! I don't want to give any spoilers away so I won't say much, but some things were expected, especially at the end. Favorite character is still the chief. I really love Steve too but I'm worried they won't have much of a story for that since his relationship with Nancy is over. Or maybe not? Haha. I mean, I like Jonathan, but I like Steve much better. He's a good demi-dog slayer! Loved the new characters to the show too.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Jonathan/Nancy shippers may actually be experiencing some Buyer's Remorse after how Steve shaped up this season.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I took a whole week to watch all of season 2 cause I wanted to make something great last. Glad I did.

My reaction is happiness. The main plot was resolved in a way that satisfied me. So did several of the subplots. Oh, and I did NOT feel that the ending dragged on too long. I want more time with these people. Which is why I'm happy there'll be another season.

We can't know what the Duffer brothers have in store for us. I think a few things are clear. The big threat from season 2 is over. But the Upside Down is still there, and is likely to have other threats. And not just threats. Maybe there are good things there, too. Don't know what. Maybe people of some kind besides animals?

The government may have been reduced as a threat, as the end of S2 suggests. But they will not have forgotten the Down Under. Or Eleven/Jane. Maybe the government agencies will be sneakier, but they'll be back. And if US government, maybe agents of other governments. The Russians, likely. But maybe Israelis? British? French?

Another possibility. We now know there was one other experimental subject: Eight. And if one other, maybe two? Or more?

Lots of possibilities, including the new characters introduced. I'm partial to Max; love redheads. And she's a gamer. (And maybe will be a hacker?) And surly Billy, her half-brother. Hate his guts, but he has possibilities too.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall seeing the Duffer brothers say that they did have a particular story arc in mind. Kind of like Babylon 5 which was designed to only be a certain length regardless of popularity. So they are not (at this point anyway) planning to just make seasons until no one watches anymore.

Finn Wolfhard was not as present in this season, probably because of conflicts filming IT. I have a feeling the kid who plays Will (Noah something) is going to find himself getting more work now too.

As for Season 2, I really liked it. Even the kind of awkward Episode Seven (The Lost Sister) was interesting, although it was kind of long for the amount of stuff that happened in it. But Steve was great. Hopper and Dustin were fantastic. Eleven and Will were both excellent. I was also impressed by the writers ability to give me some empathy for Billy, while still leaving him as a total dick of a character. I suspect he may play a larger role in Season 3.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall seeing the Duffer brothers say that they did have a particular story arc in mind. Kind of like Babylon 5 which was designed to only be a certain length regardless of popularity. So they are not (at this point anyway) planning to just make seasons until no one watches anymore.

Finn Wolfhard was not as present in this season, probably because of conflicts filming IT. I have a feeling the kid who plays Will (Noah something) is going to find himself getting more work now too.

As for Season 2, I really liked it. Even the kind of awkward Episode Seven (The Lost Sister) was interesting, although it was kind of long for the amount of stuff that happened in it. But Steve was great. Hopper and Dustin were fantastic. Eleven and Will were both excellent. I was also impressed by the writers ability to give me some empathy for Billy, while still leaving him as a total dick of a character. I suspect he may play a larger role in Season 3.

Dustin was hilarious as usual....especially in the scene where he goes to Mike's house and has a convo with the Dad. That line Dustin says as he's leaving....just totally cracked me up.

WildcatJim2112

Registered
Reaction score
I think I enjoyed S2 more than S1 with the exception of Episode 7. Good action, great kids, Winona Ryder didn't suck quite as bad as in S1, Rudy hasn't aged well and not sure what the purpose of Billy was. Can't wait for Season 3.

Testome

Registered
Reaction score
I think I enjoyed S2 more than S1 with the exception of Episode 7. Good action, great kids, Winona Ryder didn't suck quite as bad as in S1, Rudy hasn't aged well and not sure what the purpose of Billy was. Can't wait for Season 3.

Some interview mentioned he was supposed to play the role of antagonist, but I didn't see much of a need for the character. On other hand, Eleven and her entire journey sucked for me until she rejoined the group. Not sure what the thought process was on them doing that. I mean get what they were going for, but I just fastforwarded through all of her scenes this season. Well minus the last episode.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Some interview mentioned he was supposed to play the role of antagonist, but I didn't see much of a need for the character. On other hand, Eleven and her entire journey sucked for me until she rejoined the group. Not sure what the thought process was on them doing that. I mean get what they were going for, but I just fastforwarded through all of her scenes this season. Well minus the last episode.

heck no. i loved all of Eleven's scenes. think of her journey much like Luke's journey to find Yoda and then get training. she needed to go off and get stronger for the final battle in Hawkins to save her friends....

I'm thinking about giving this show a shot.

stop thinking and go watch it!!!

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't finished S2 yet. Three episodes to go and I'm dragging it out. Honestly, I just don't like to see kids tortured and El/Jane's scenes have been just so hard to watch. I was able to make it through S1 because she was in a better place. So far, S2 sucks for her though. I just want to kill all the people after her and see her have a normal childhood experience going forward.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the season. Dustin was great and the relationship him and Steve have is so awesome. Mike was a TAD too much for me, though I understood the angst/anger. Him and Will though had some amazing scenes.

Also, thought the guy that played Billy played him phenomenally.

Wasn't crazy on episode seven (as many weren't) but I understand the reason for it. I did like thinking Eleven was the only one out there though. I really don't want it going into an X-Men type arc.

Last edited:

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin

It wasn't scary as season one though, the demo-dogs were not as terrifying as the hominid demogorgon I thought. But then I loved Winona in S1 so what do I know! Still loved the whole season and I guess since Eleven is 0011 we should have expected others.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't scary as season one though, the demo-dogs were not as terrifying as the hominid demogorgon I thought. But then I loved Winona in S1 so what do I know! Still loved the whole season and I guess since Eleven is 0011 we should have expected others.

I would've liked the others to have been liked failed experiments or something. I do agree, by making it bigger it takes away how scary the demogorgon was in season one. Really curious to learn more about the shadow monster and the upside down world.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I loved it. What scared me about the demodogs was their mouth. Eeek! However, I didn't particularly like Eleven's detour. It did make her return powerful--for the group, but we watchers knew she'd be back.