Netflix's "Stranger Things"

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Also, one other thing, of all the characters, I think Steve has the most promise to have a cult-following years later. He's got all the ingredients: iconic accessory (his nail-bat), love-able, and unique look (his hair).

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished. Didn't like it as much as Season 1, but the last two episodes were better than the rest of the Season. Will still watch Season 3 since it looks like El won't be tortured quite as much.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished. Didn't like it as much as Season 1, but the last two episodes were better than the rest of the Season. Will still watch Season 3 since it looks like El won't be tortured quite as much.

Season one definitely had more of a mystery feel. And I just liked how it was smaller in general/scale. It seems like season three my scale it wider again, but we'll see. Really not a huge fan of others with powers out there, but we'll see how it is handled.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
I loved it. What scared me about the demodogs was their mouth. Eeek! However, I didn't particularly like Eleven's detour. It did make her return powerful--for the group, but we watchers knew she'd be back.

I still loved it. I think the demodogs had the same mouth as the ultrascary demogorgon from S1, but for me they were somehow less scary. But the relationships were deeper and I was just as invested, if not more so.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Pack animals are scary. Yeah, it was both satisfying and irritating that they were easier to kill, but packs are hard to read and an overall greater threat to track.

I liked that there was a lot less of the teenage angsty movie in Season 2. I really loathed a lot of the Jonathan/Nancy/Steve drama in the first season, until they got to the "Let's kill the monster" point. Season 2 skipped most of that.

I suspect that Elle will never have a happy ending. She's beginning to recognize that ("They can't save you." "No. But I can save them.") which I suspect will lead to a bittersweet character arc. (In which she slowly becomes the villain because overpowered.) But, that's just the way I'd write it, so we'll see.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Pack animals are scary. Yeah, it was both satisfying and irritating that they were easier to kill, but packs are hard to read and an overall greater threat to track.

I liked that there was a lot less of the teenage angsty movie in Season 2. I really loathed a lot of the Jonathan/Nancy/Steve drama in the first season, until they got to the "Let's kill the monster" point. Season 2 skipped most of that.

I suspect that Elle will never have a happy ending. She's beginning to recognize that ("They can't save you." "No. But I can save them.") which I suspect will lead to a bittersweet character arc. (In which she slowly becomes the villain because overpowered.) But, that's just the way I'd write it, so we'll see.

what would really be cool if they acknowledge and literally connected it to the one-off line about one character wanting the other characters issue 134....(aka the pivotal phoenix storyline)
season one... intro 11 (jean grey)
season two ... 11 becomes phoenix
season three ... 11 becomes dark phoenix...

8 could be the white queen and her group is the inner circle...
and shutting the gate could be the "sealing of the m-kraan crystal"....
(guess that would make hopper our prof x)

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I just finished Season two. Liked it, though I'm a little sad Sam died. I watched an episode of Netflix's "The Making of" series. I like how they explained that the Demogorgon in the first season was just like a predatory animal, while the Mindflayer was something much more intelligent and cognizant. Looking forward now to Season three, when I expect the Mindflayer to unleash some sort of hench-monster to break through, maybe on an assassination mission for Elle.

I'm thinking a Beholder-type thing, keeping with the D&D theme.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i've started watching season one again.

i also watched that Beyond Stranger Things. it's kinda like Talking Dead.
which made me get the idea that....they should hire Hardwick.... to host the season three recap and call it Talking Strange!

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished it last night. Liked it very much. Not as much as season one, though. Couple of things that left me a bit dissapointed. Spoilers ahead

Again, Elle saves the day. Through her powers. Again, Will is mostly a victim and needs to he rescued. It would have been cooler to let Will have a greater hand in his own rescue. It would have been more interesting to let Elle discover the limits to her power. To let her find out power alone is not enough. She felt more like a deus ex machina instead of a person, regardless of how the writers delved into what happened to her mother, or what happened to her in Chicago. If Elle had died closing the gate, or lost some vital part of herself, it would have been more satisfying, albeit infinitely more sad. Will helping her out, via his infection caused by the Mindflayer, would also have been a better option. Him, turning the weapons of the enemy against it would also have been more satisfying.

Still, enjoyed it very much, will watch season three.

RenchiDoodle

Rum Runner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antiquitysgate.com
I stumbled on this thread, and couldn't leave without saying something. I love this show, both seasons, though I preferred the first for the mystery of it all. I am fairly picky about what I'll "waste my time" watching…but I thought the characters and story were very rich in Stranger Things, and I think I just have a thing for the 80's. I agree with Teinz in that I wish Will had had a stronger role, but at the same time, I did enjoy his part. And I was sad they killed off poor Sean Astin (Lol, ShaunHorton, I always call him Sam, too!) but I get the feeling from his roles that he enjoys having a good death. I love Stranger Things soundtrack, too...so excellent :)

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
i've started watching season one again.

i also watched that Beyond Stranger Things. it's kinda like Talking Dead.
which made me get the idea that....they should hire Hardwick.... to host the season three recap and call it Talking Strange!

Yes!!! Yes please!

She felt more like a deus ex machina instead of a person.
I do agree but I also think it was played pretty straight that way. We knew she was going to save them, she said it herself, twice if I recall. It was another homage to the trope I think.

writingclarity

Registered
Reaction score
I love Stranger Things and was obsessed with season two. I was a bit upset that we didn't get many scenes with Mike and Eleven after they reunited but Steve made up for it. I had to go back to season one once I finished the second one because I felt empty after I finished it haha.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
I heard that Montauk was an influence for this, I have researched the montauk project and associated things on and off for longer than I can remember, maybe I'll check it out eventually.