Format Dilemma

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book that will be self published. I have already have gone through the decision process, limited audience means no trade publisher wants it but there is a viable audience for self publishing. My current decision is the format. From market analysis, the readership would be looking at two distinct formats. First is the ebook, likely Kindle. There is a natural audience for this book that would use electronic readers. But there is a second audience, since this is an instructional non-fiction book, that would be looking for a printed version that can open flat for easy following of the instructions and process. This lends itself quite well to comb binding, something I have self-published in the ancient past by having a a print shop print colored covers on thicker stock and then running the inner pages off on a laser, binding it myself.

My dilemma here is that the various ebook and self-publishing options don't seem to have the ability to print both the electronic version and a comb binding version. I can get those options from separate services, but there isn't an easy one-stop place for printing and sales.

I am currently looking at offering the ebook version through Kindle, at a relatively low price point of $2.95 to $4.95, but a comb bound edition would need to sell for $19.95 plus postage to make it financially viable. And I wouldn't be able to offer both through Amazon as separate versions of the same book (as far as I can tell). I would likely end up selling a Kindle version and then the comb bound version through my own web site, with far less traffic and publicity available. So, I'm looking for opinions or options I may have missed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've worked on books which were published as a collection of cards inside a cover or sleeve, a bit like an envelope file. The cards were individual work-cards, double-sided. Might that work instead of the comb-binding you mentioned? Just a thought. Only that comb binding is a nightmare to store as the combs catch and break when you stack the books or move them, and it's bulky for postage and so on, especially when you're moving single copies.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've worked on books which were published as a collection of cards inside a cover or sleeve, a bit like an envelope file.

That's an idea I have never thought of. I've been looking for something that lays flat, so this definitely fits the bill, thanks.

Jeff

Tamarind

Registered
Reaction score
I think you are right, Jeff; if you're going to print the book yourself (or have it done locally), you will have to distribute the two different versions in the way you described. It's a bit inconvenient, but doesn't seem like such a terrible hurdle -- you're going to have to do a fair bit of publicity for the book regardless, so just include links for both versions. I think you can also add a link to your webpage in your Amazon author profile? And the ebook edition is often a bit modified from the print edition anyway, so it's no problem from a design perspective.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think Old Hack is on to something with the cards, Jeff. I'd definitely look into it.

As for pricing, an e-book at $4.95 and a bound print version at $19.95 isn't unusual in the least (especially an instructional non-fiction book). I wouldn't blink at paying that if I needed/wanted the book.