• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CaryPress

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
I signed with CaryPress when they were very young (before they got into self-publishing). I thought it was an interesting model (show that you have "fans" before they publish, the author agrees to promote, etc.).

I have a couple of words of warning: they are very slow to provide sales information and I have been told that my sales are not sufficient to meet their threshold for payment of royalties (that threshold is not mentioned in the contract, and appears to go up each time royalties are due to be paid). Before you sign a contract with them, make sure thresholds are discussed and spelled out, so you know what is coming. Also, be aware that they pay by the book, so if your book is enrolled in Kindle Unlimited, as they have my book enrolled, you will receive zero royalties for pages read.

It is nice to be able to say you're published, but be aware of these things before you sign a contract. I wish I had been.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have to say that their website http://carypress.com/carypress-book-submission/ does very little to make me think they would be a good publishing option. The are new, have no relevant experience, want 500 "paying" fans lined up in advance, and a publishing process that takes "two weeks or less". So how much of cover price do they keep given how little they are bringing to the party? And that is ignoring their 3 and 4 figure main business line of terrible vanity publishing packages. I just don't see anything to recommend them over self-publishing.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
LLRobinett, thanks for posting this. It's brave to step on stage and offer your thoughts on a publisher when you know the publisher won't be happy. It's appreciated.

Veinglory, I appreciate your thoughts, too. When I follow the link, I don't find anything about -- well, almost anything, including the section about 500 paying fans or the publishing process. The fan requirement alone would keep them from wanting me and almost everything else about their website keeps me from wanting them.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Here it is: http://carypress.com/collaborative-publishing/

Book Submission Guidelines:

• We accept books in all genres.
  • The writer preferably should have an established online presence to be considered for collaborative publishing. Established online presence can be the authors’ website or blog with 5k per month traffic or Facebook with 2k+ fans.
  • If the writer does not have an online presence established, CaryPress is willing to help build a supportive fan community on CaryPress website. If 500+ paying fans can be gathered then the book can go into production.

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
They have changed since I signed with them. At that time, it felt more traditional - but they made it clear that the author was expected to promote (which I fully expected no matter what publisher I ended up with). When I signed, you submitted a query with a synopsis and three chapters. I then received a request for a full on a Monday and received an email on Wednesday telling me they planned to offer a contract, which I received on Thursday. Their royalties (at least on my contract) are different than most - I get 100% of the royalties after the cost of the book, minus $x.xx for them (which comes out to about approximately a 35% royalty on ebooks and a little less on paperbacks). Before the book was published, they set up a web page featuring the book to take preorders. They also produced a book trailer after the book showed some success. (BTW, now it looks like you submit the whole manuscript - and I know at least one person who has been rejected by them who IS a traditionally published author with a decent following)

I'm not saying they are a bad publisher - I think they are a small publisher struggling to find a niche. I simply wanted to offer a word of warning to folks who were offered a contract (from anyone) to be aware of payment thresholds and Kindle Unlimited, to make sure those items are addressed.

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
@VeinGlory You mentioned that you weren't sure what would recommend them over self-publishing. I can't speak to their self-publishing options, but during the collaborative publishing, they did all the formatting for print and ebook, they did the cover, they produced a book trailer, that sort of thing. During the cover design process, they sent me pictures of models, asked my opinion (though they ultimately had final say). Same with the book trailer, they sent me a couple of drafts and asked my opinion before they produced the final.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That would be a contribution, given the level to which they working (I looked at examples on Amazon), of about $200. And I don't see mention of possibly the most important thing a publisher should do... editing?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Also, LLRobinett, you haven't been paid anything yet, right? Even though your book was doing better than expected (which resulted in the book trailer)? The fact that they haven't paid you anything is pretty damning in my mind, as is the payment threshold, not to mention they are making money off of your book with Kindle Unlimited and none of that is making its way to you.

As others have said, thank you for sharing your thoughts and bringing this publisher to light.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Regardless of what you might get paid, you should receive an accounting of any sales and where the money went according to whatever schedule is in the contract. That is where you see little things like what they count to be the cost of the book.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
So CaryPress expects the author to have hundreds or thousands of fans before publishing a book. Eff that. If I'm an author with 2000 FB fans what on earth do I need CaryPress for? What are they bringing to the table?

LLRobinett, try to get your rights back and get as far away from this goat rodeo as possible. They are stealing from you. If you can't get your rights back, or they try to blackmail you with a kill fee, walk away and work on a new book. I'm sorry you got involved with these people.

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
I've received one royalty payment (about $200). And, yes, I've requested my rights back (no reply yet). That's something else folks should review in their contracts - make sure there is an "out" if you aren't happy with the publisher.

BTW - I'm not sitting around wringing my hands over this. I've published 2 books since the one referenced above. I honestly don't know why I would consider a publisher again - I'm doing the legwork, I control the promos, and I'm seeing the royalties. (details at http://lorilrobinett.com/?p=1263)

@Akaria - I had to laugh when I saw your post. I was at an agent/editor panel at a conference last year and someone asked if they would consider a book that had been self-published. A well-known agent asked if the book had sold 10K copies yet. My first thought was, if she's already sold 10K copies of her book, what does she need you for?

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
Update: I reread my contract and it does appear to lump all "other" sales together for a 50/50 split between me and them, so I sent a letter (via email and mail) pointing that out and requesting a statement of all sales and the royalties I am due. According to my contract, my statement and royalties should have been sent by October 1. Hopefully they'll come through.

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update. I've heard nothing from CaryPress since last spring. I filed a complaint with the North Carolina Attorney General's office. They've sent CaryPress a letter with the complaint, requesting a response, and sent a followup letter reminding CaryPress that a response is owed. Nothing but crickets, so far.

Live and learn. I just hope to keep others from making the same mistake I did.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know how it went, it is informative.

Bladespark

JOAT
Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. Oh man. If I had 500+ paying fans, I wouldn't be looking for a publisher, I'd just be self-publishing on Amazon and selling 500 copies of everything with almost no overhead. Damn. I mean... I guess if their editing is really good? That's the only plus I can even think of here.

I have a hard time getting over 500 readers for the fanfiction that I publish for free. In what reality is somebody who has 500 people willing to shell out for their stuff going to sign up for a nobody publishing house that can't bring them anything they don't obviously already have?

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
Things have taken a bizarre twist. This past week I noticed that CaryPress listed my book on their website as having been ghostwritten by them. It had been quite some time since I had last requested a statement (and payment of the royalties due), so I emailed Maggie Bassett (who is the individual who had last responded to me, and who had previously asked that I remove this thread. My email was professional and reasonable - and I received a response from a "Dr. Robert Bassett" that made my jaw drop. While I had previously been willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, I no longer do. I strongly recommend to anyone considering working with them to reconsider.

I'm unable to attach a screenshot, but here is the text of the email I received:
You are the most disgusting and petty person with a zero conscience, with no regard to how people could be affected by your actions. How could you sleep or relax after doing such vile things? I doubt if you have any remorse after any wrongdoings. We regret helping such an ungrateful piece of shit like you. First you come to us to publish your book. After you gain that privilege, you turn around and badger us. When that doesn't work, you stoop lower. How dare you blackmail us! All that over a few dollars! Get lost! Go vent out your life's frustrations and anger somewhere else. Remember, what goes around comes around.

Robert

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Things have taken a bizarre twist. This past week I noticed that CaryPress listed my book on their website as having been ghostwritten by them. It had been quite some time since I had last requested a statement (and payment of the royalties due), so I emailed Maggie Bassett (who is the individual who had last responded to me, and who had previously asked that I remove this thread. My email was professional and reasonable - and I received a response from a "Dr. Robert Bassett" that made my jaw drop. While I had previously been willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, I no longer do. I strongly recommend to anyone considering working with them to reconsider.

I'm unable to attach a screenshot, but here is the text of the email I received:

You are the most disgusting and petty person with a zero conscience, with no regard to how people could be affected by your actions. How could you sleep or relax after doing such vile things? I doubt if you have any remorse after any wrongdoings. We regret helping such an ungrateful piece of shit like you. First you come to us to publish your book. After you gain that privilege, you turn around and badger us. When that doesn't work, you stoop lower. How dare you blackmail us! All that over a few dollars! Get lost! Go vent out your life's frustrations and anger somewhere else. Remember, what goes around comes around.

Robert​

Good lord. So they not only owe you royalties, now they're claiming to have written your book? What a shitshow.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
On their site it looks like they're really pushing themselves as 'ghostwriters'. I imagine anyone they haven't heard from lately is going to be labelled as a 'ghostwriting' client. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that if they ever edited a book they're claiming it was 'ghostwritten'.
Have you had any contact with the North Carolina Attorney General's office in the last couple of years? Maybe send them a copy of the e-mail? Maybe you can get them for something else? Is it a crime to accuse you of being a blackmailer?

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
I responded in a professional manner to that stunning email, asking them to terminate the contract in writing OR provide the statements and royalties as contemplated in the contract. I received a response this morning - to my WORK email (BTW - there is no reference anywhere in the contract to a "buyout option"):
[FONT=&quot]Lori,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you need agreement termination in writing, then you would need to do the following:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Remove all negative reviews from BBB, Absolute Write, Facebook, Google search results and your blog. Provide proof that these have been removed permanently. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Letter stating that you will not contact any of our clients in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Pay for the services rendered and exercise the buyout option: $950. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ivy Marsh[/FONT]

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I responded in a professional manner to that stunning email, asking them to terminate the contract in writing OR provide the statements and royalties as contemplated in the contract. I received a response this morning - to my WORK email (BTW - there is no reference anywhere in the contract to a "buyout option"):
[FONT="]Lori,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="] [/FONT]

[FONT="]If you need agreement termination in writing, then you would need to do the following:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]1. Remove all negative reviews from BBB, Absolute Write, Facebook, Google search results and your blog. Provide proof that these have been removed permanently. [/FONT]

[FONT="]2. Letter stating that you will not contact any of our clients in the future.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]3. Pay for the services rendered and exercise the buyout option: $950. [/FONT]

[FONT="] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]Sincerely,[/FONT]

[FONT="]Ivy Marsh[/FONT]

HAHAHAHAHA!

Time to get a lawyer, I guess. If you care enough to keep going with these chucklefucks.

I've never heard of them before this thread, but, being in NC myself, this is some excellent drama for me to read. (But still super sorry you're going through it, cuz they suck, in case that's not clear in my less-than-empathetic initial response.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lori,

If you need agreement termination in writing, then you would need to do the following:
1. Remove all negative reviews from BBB, Absolute Write, Facebook, Google search results and your blog. Provide proof that these have been removed permanently.
2. Letter stating that you will not contact any of our clients in the future.
3. Pay for the services rendered and exercise the buyout option: $950.

Sincerely,
Ivy Marsh

If there's no buyout option in the contract (is there a publication term limit in the contract?), then this is basically holding your book for ransom so they can make a further profit off you.

If you feel like getting in the ring with these bozos, suggest you contact Victoria Strauss at Writer Beware. This kind of thing is her bread and butter. It may take her a while to get back to you - she's often swamped - but it would be worth it to get this company on her radar. If they don't like bad press, they definitely don't want Victoria on their case.

LLRobinett

Registered
Reaction score
There is no buyout mentioned in the contract. There is a clause that states that if sales aren't acceptable after two years, CaryPress can terminate the contract. Stupid me (and, yes, I know better!), I should've made sure there was an out for ME to terminate. I did forward this to Victoria Strauss. I sure hope she has some ideas, because I'd hate for anyone else to get caught up in this company's snare.

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
Lori,

If you need agreement termination in writing, then you would need to do the following:
1. Remove all negative reviews from BBB, Absolute Write, Facebook, Google search results and your blog. Provide proof that these have been removed permanently.
2. Letter stating that you will not contact any of our clients in the future.
3. Pay for the services rendered and exercise the buyout option: $950.

Sincerely,
Ivy Marsh

Okay, irrational list of demands aside, there is absolutely no way anyone can remove results from popping up in Google. Just...wow.

I would contact an IP attorney. From their correspondence, I kinda doubt they wish to incur the cost of fighting over your work if you make it a legal matter. At the moment, they seem to be in this for the grudge rather than any business sense. Honestly, if they know you've gone public with your experience, you'd think they'd try to sound a little less ridiculous and (quite frankly) unhinged.