The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: CaryPress

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

CaryPress

I signed with CaryPress when they were very young (before they got into self-publishing). I thought it was an interesting model (show that you have "fans" before they publish, the author agrees to promote, etc.).

I have a couple of words of warning: they are very slow to provide sales information and I have been told that my sales are not sufficient to meet their threshold for payment of royalties (that threshold is not mentioned in the contract, and appears to go up each time royalties are due to be paid). Before you sign a contract with them, make sure thresholds are discussed and spelled out, so you know what is coming. Also, be aware that they pay by the book, so if your book is enrolled in Kindle Unlimited, as they have my book enrolled, you will receive zero royalties for pages read.

It is nice to be able to say you're published, but be aware of these things before you sign a contract. I wish I had been.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I have to say that their website http://carypress.com/carypress-book-submission/ does very little to make me think they would be a good publishing option. The are new, have no relevant experience, want 500 "paying" fans lined up in advance, and a publishing process that takes "two weeks or less". So how much of cover price do they keep given how little they are bringing to the party? And that is ignoring their 3 and 4 figure main business line of terrible vanity publishing packages. I just don't see anything to recommend them over self-publishing.
    Emily Veinglory

Thought I'd stop by
    LLRobinett, thanks for posting this. It's brave to step on stage and offer your thoughts on a publisher when you know the publisher won't be happy. It's appreciated.

Veinglory, I appreciate your thoughts, too. When I follow the link, I don't find anything about -- well, almost anything, including the section about 500 paying fans or the publishing process. The fan requirement alone would keep them from wanting me and almost everything else about their website keeps me from wanting them.

Here it is: http://carypress.com/collaborative-publishing/

Book Submission Guidelines:

• We accept books in all genres.
    • The writer preferably should have an established online presence to be considered for collaborative publishing. Established online presence can be the authors’ website or blog with 5k per month traffic or Facebook with 2k+ fans.
    • If the writer does not have an online presence established, CaryPress is willing to help build a supportive fan community on CaryPress website. If 500+ paying fans can be gathered then the book can go into production.
    She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

They have changed since I signed with them. At that time, it felt more traditional - but they made it clear that the author was expected to promote (which I fully expected no matter what publisher I ended up with). When I signed, you submitted a query with a synopsis and three chapters. I then received a request for a full on a Monday and received an email on Wednesday telling me they planned to offer a contract, which I received on Thursday. Their royalties (at least on my contract) are different than most - I get 100% of the royalties after the cost of the book, minus $x.xx for them (which comes out to about approximately a 35% royalty on ebooks and a little less on paperbacks). Before the book was published, they set up a web page featuring the book to take preorders. They also produced a book trailer after the book showed some success. (BTW, now it looks like you submit the whole manuscript - and I know at least one person who has been rejected by them who IS a traditionally published author with a decent following)

I'm not saying they are a bad publisher - I think they are a small publisher struggling to find a niche. I simply wanted to offer a word of warning to folks who were offered a contract (from anyone) to be aware of payment thresholds and Kindle Unlimited, to make sure those items are addressed.

@VeinGlory You mentioned that you weren't sure what would recommend them over self-publishing. I can't speak to their self-publishing options, but during the collaborative publishing, they did all the formatting for print and ebook, they did the cover, they produced a book trailer, that sort of thing. During the cover design process, they sent me pictures of models, asked my opinion (though they ultimately had final say). Same with the book trailer, they sent me a couple of drafts and asked my opinion before they produced the final.

That would be a contribution, given the level to which they working (I looked at examples on Amazon), of about $200. And I don't see mention of possibly the most important thing a publisher should do... editing?
    Emily Veinglory

Also, LLRobinett, you haven't been paid anything yet, right? Even though your book was doing better than expected (which resulted in the book trailer)? The fact that they haven't paid you anything is pretty damning in my mind, as is the payment threshold, not to mention they are making money off of your book with Kindle Unlimited and none of that is making its way to you.

As others have said, thank you for sharing your thoughts and bringing this publisher to light.

Regardless of what you might get paid, you should receive an accounting of any sales and where the money went according to whatever schedule is in the contract. That is where you see little things like what they count to be the cost of the book.
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW akaria's Avatar
    So CaryPress expects the author to have hundreds or thousands of fans before publishing a book. Eff that. If I'm an author with 2000 FB fans what on earth do I need CaryPress for? What are they bringing to the table?

LLRobinett, try to get your rights back and get as far away from this goat rodeo as possible. They are stealing from you. If you can't get your rights back, or they try to blackmail you with a kill fee, walk away and work on a new book. I'm sorry you got involved with these people.
    ON SALE 10/31/16 - Blood Awakening
    I tweet!
    Blog

Goodreads Amazon Kobo
    Nook Apple ARe

I've received one royalty payment (about $200). And, yes, I've requested my rights back (no reply yet). That's something else folks should review in their contracts - make sure there is an "out" if you aren't happy with the publisher.

BTW - I'm not sitting around wringing my hands over this. I've published 2 books since the one referenced above. I honestly don't know why I would consider a publisher again - I'm doing the legwork, I control the promos, and I'm seeing the royalties. (details at http://lorilrobinett.com/?p=1263)

@Akaria - I had to laugh when I saw your post. I was at an agent/editor panel at a conference last year and someone asked if they would consider a book that had been self-published. A well-known agent asked if the book had sold 10K copies yet. My first thought was, if she's already sold 10K copies of her book, what does she need you for?

Update: I reread my contract and it does appear to lump all "other" sales together for a 50/50 split between me and them, so I sent a letter (via email and mail) pointing that out and requesting a statement of all sales and the royalties I am due. According to my contract, my statement and royalties should have been sent by October 1. Hopefully they'll come through.

Thought I'd post an update. I've heard nothing from CaryPress since last spring. I filed a complaint with the North Carolina Attorney General's office. They've sent CaryPress a letter with the complaint, requesting a response, and sent a followup letter reminding CaryPress that a response is owed. Nothing but crickets, so far.

Live and learn. I just hope to keep others from making the same mistake I did.

practical experience, FTW the bunny hugger's Avatar
    Thanks for letting us know how it went, it is informative.

Ha ha ha. Oh man. If I had 500+ paying fans, I wouldn't be looking for a publisher, I'd just be self-publishing on Amazon and selling 500 copies of everything with almost no overhead. Damn. I mean... I guess if their editing is really good? That's the only plus I can even think of here.

I have a hard time getting over 500 readers for the fanfiction that I publish for free. In what reality is somebody who has 500 people willing to shell out for their stuff going to sign up for a nobody publishing house that can't bring them anything they don't obviously already have?