2016 RITA Winners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I don't usually follow this contest, but I've been spending more time on Twitter this year and it's hard to avoid the Tweets. So...

Winners were announced. They're at: https://www.rwa.org/p/bl/et/blogid=20&blogaid=1569

Two kinda interesting things - one is that two m/m books won, which is apparently pretty new, and the other is the number of Golden Heart prizes (awarded to unpublished manuscripts) and the attention these manuscripts are given on the RITA site. I'm wondering what the strategy is, there - do people submit manuscripts as a way to get publisher attention, or...?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I remember agent Laura Bradford openly tweeting about impatiently waiting to talk to one of the GH finalists a few years ago. The writer was already conversing with 2 or 3 other agents. So there's that.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
An m/m romance has never won the RITA before, so what happened last night was a first, and pretty amazing that two books won.

Last year was the first time any m/m made it to the finals. So the genre is shifting, and rapidly. (There's also been a big upsurge in self published books winning.)

To understand the Golden Heart, I think it's worth noting that RWA is one of the few (if not the only) pro writing organization that allows unpublished members. You have to be seriously pursuing a career in romance writing, but you don't have to be there yet. As such, there is a big emphasis on helping unpublished writers in their career that you might not find in other writing organizations.

So classes and chapter contests, and the Golden Heart. And yes, many of the manuscripts go on to be published. Agents look at GH winners (and finalists) pretty strongly.

The GH has been around since 1981, so it's woven into the fabric of the RWA, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I am really enthusiastic about this year's RITAs. I've read two of the winners -- FORGET TOMORROW by Pintip Dunn, which one Best First Book, and Alexis Hall's FOR REAL -- which is just a delight of a m/m erotica. Really really a delight. The voices, characterisation etc. are so wonderfully spot on.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I am really enthusiastic about this year's RITAs. I've read two of the winners -- FORGET TOMORROW by Pintip Dunn, which one Best First Book, and Alexis Hall's FOR REAL -- which is just a delight of a m/m erotica. Really really a delight. The voices, characterisation etc. are so wonderfully spot on.

FOR REAL was one of my least favourites of Alexis Hall's books - I still liked it, but not as much as I loved the others I read. I think it's because I just can't grasp the appeal of BDSM - I mean, I respect the right of everyone to enjoy their own consensual activities, but it just does nothing for me, so it's hard to really get into a book like this one.

I haven't read any of the other winners, though - got to get on it!

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
I'm wondering what the strategy is, there - do people submit manuscripts as a way to get publisher attention, or...?

In a word... yes.

My local chapter had two GH finalists this year. There is a special reception for GH and RITA finalists and they receive special designation on their badges. I know one of my chaptermates had spoken to a half dozen agents and editors by Saturday morning alone and it's likely that number increased during the course of the final day.

Many agents also suggest once the finalists are announced in March they begin querying and put GH or RITA Finalist in the subject line because it certainly is a line jumper in the slush pile.

Angi Morgan, who is with Harlequin Intrigue, won the GH and her debut title was released at midnight following her win. So she'd obviously sold that title between entering the contest and winning it.

Last edited:

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
One of my chaptermates was a GH finalist last year and her book came out last month.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin. Sorry, meant to say that in the post.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Priscilla Oliveras was also a 2015 GH finalist in contemporary romance. She's now agented and recently announced a three-book deal with Kensington. Not sure if her GH entry is part of that three-book deal or not.

MerryDay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
evemarieperry.com
Hi everyone! So, I was actually a Golden Heart finalist in 2012 and can speak to my experience a bit. It can be a huge boost to an unpublished writer. Agents actively pursue GH finalists, in the wake of the announcement, and the finals are judged by editors in your genre. Almost everyone from that GH class is now published or has inked a deal, four years later, and some of those sales came directly from editor requests in the contest. We have people published with Avon, Harlequin, Montlake, Entangled, Carina, and a ton of other imprints. Not everyone sold their Golden Heart book, but they've sold a book.

It probably helps even more with agents, though. Mentioning that you're a Golden Heart finalist in a query is practically a guaranteed partial request, even if your query isn't terribly thrilling. Most unagented writers in our class were signed in the months after the finalist announcement, as a result. If someone is having trouble getting his/her foot in the door and does well in this contest, it's a definite lift.

Now that indie publishing is such a successful enterprise, I'm not sure the GH will hold the same value going forward, honestly. Why consign yourself to staying unpublished (the book you enter can't be released before the awards, so that's a six month hold on your career), when you can start building a backlist and self-publishing right away? In the last year or two, I've known many newer writers who would've entered the contest before, but decided to go ahead and self-publish instead. However, if someone does want to traditionally publish, it's a good stepping stone in that direction.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Now that indie publishing is such a successful enterprise, I'm not sure the GH will hold the same value going forward, honestly. Why consign yourself to staying unpublished (the book you enter can't be released before the awards, so that's a six month hold on your career), when you can start building a backlist and self-publishing right away? In the last year or two, I've known many newer writers who would've entered the contest before, but decided to go ahead and self-publish instead. However, if someone does want to traditionally publish, it's a good stepping stone in that direction.

Interestingly enough, one of the RWA board meeting highlights was this:

A task force will review the Golden Heart Contest to make sure this award maintains value among unpublished members amid changes in the publishing landscape.

So it looks like the board is also thinking about how the GH fits into today's publishing world.

Status
Not open for further replies.