When The Writer is Ready For the Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
Even though I don't think all ideas are equal, I don't think it's a matter of whether an idea is good or not to wait to write it. It's that the author has not honed their skills enough yet to execute the book in which the story calls for it.
This the less fluffy version of what I meant. :)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
There are times when I don't feel ready to write certain works because I can't even sell a single one to a SFWA-qualifying magazine or get requests from agents. Training? Oh man, I wish I had some. I've been going solo this whole time, relying on feedback from betas. But trying to figure out what needs improving in my work in general? Like, all of it? That's a monumental effort and I'm not sure I'm the best judge. I'm often my own worst enemy. Good article, btw.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
There are times when I don't feel ready to write certain works because I can't even sell a single one to a SFWA-qualifying magazine or get requests from agents. Training? Oh man, I wish I had some. I've been going solo this whole time, relying on feedback from betas. But trying to figure out what needs improving in my work in general? Like, all of it? That's a monumental effort and I'm not sure I'm the best judge. I'm often my own worst enemy. Good article, btw.
Don't despair, it only takes around 20 years to learn how to write well. :D

But seriously, it does take time. The thing is, if you're a writer, you're a writer. Aint nothing you can do about it.

The best you can do, is to be open to learning, (mostly through reading, but also different articles and sites like this).

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't despair, it only takes around 20 years to learn how to write well. :D

But seriously, it does take time. The thing is, if you're a writer, you're a writer. Aint nothing you can do about it.

The best you can do, is to be open to learning, (mostly through reading, but also different articles and sites like this).

Well, I'm 27. From ages 15-20 I wrote on pure passion. From 21-present I write with a little brains behind it. Nine years to go!

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm 27. From ages 15-20 I wrote on pure passion. From 21-present I write with a little brains behind it. Nine years to go!

Yup, that's about right. 35/36 onward is usually the time, sometimes later, rarely sooner.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I've got a book that I had to set aside because I knew I couldn't write it. It's good, the start is solid, but it requires, apparently, political intrigue.

I do not write political intrigue. Some day I will either figure out how to write that bit or I will figure out how to write it without that bit being required, but I could not write it in 2008 when I wrote it initially, and I still can't.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I've got lots of ideas I know I'm not adequate to write yet; not skillful enough. Just hope I'll know when I am ready.

(If ever; I'm exactly the same age as Neil Gaiman, my Evil British Twin, but with nearly zero accomplishments. Sometimes wish I hadn't taken that quarter of a century off.)

Anyway: Keep working on what you can do. Or, maybe, try things that seem just a little bit beyond where you are now. Stretch yourself; take some risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.