Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36784045

Japan's Emperor Akihito has expressed his desire to abdicate in the next few years, public broadcaster NHK reports.

The 82-year-old, who has had health problems in recent years, reportedly does not wish to remain emperor if he has to reduce his official duties.

But a palace spokesman denied that there is any official plan for the monarch to abdicate in what would be an unprecedented move in modern Japan.

His family had accepted his decision, an unnamed palace source told NHK.

However, both palace and government sources say the Imperial Household Law would have to revised to allow for the abdication to take place.

The BBC's Steve Evans in the capital, Tokyo, says Akihito would be the first Japanese emperor to abdicate in 200 years.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how Princess Masako will feel about being Empress. She hasn't enjoyed being Crown Princess too much. Also wondering if this will influence Queen Elizabeth to abdicate - although she seems very peppy and well able to get around on her own, at 90.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I wonder how Princess Masako will feel about being Empress. She hasn't enjoyed being Crown Princess too much. Also wondering if this will influence Queen Elizabeth to abdicate - although she seems very peppy and well able to get around on her own, at 90.

Queen Elizabeth is an entirely different case.

Emperor Akihito's heir is not particularly controversial nor disliked, nor does he seem ill-educated, not terribly bright, dangerously credulous and meddlesome, nor is he married to someone considered conniving, ambitious, and deeply unpopular.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - poor old Masako.

I hope it works out well for them (all the generations here).

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
A stunned Japan tries to grapple with the emperor's wish

It's a problem that Japan has not confronted for almost 200 years, but the government is under pressure to respond to the emperor's intention to abdicate.

Emperor Akihito, 82, apparently intends to step aside so his elder son Crown Prince Naruhito can sit on the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Members of the Abe Cabinet, along with key members of the ruling party and the opposition camp, are calling on the government to respond to the emperor's wish.

This could entail making revisions to the Imperial House Law.

Japan has not faced this situation since Emperor Kokaku abdicated in 1817.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ror-akihito-health-abdication-rare-tv-address

Japan’s Emperor Akihito has made a rare televised address to the nation, expressing his fears for his health and his ability to carry on as emperor, and hinting that he wants to stand down.

In the 10-minute pre-recorded speech, the monarch, 82, said he wanted an orderly imperial family succession, stopping short of saying he intended to abdicate.

Reading between the lines, his choice of words also suggests that Akihito is looking to put an orderly succession process in place to avoid disruption to the everyday lives of Japanese people, and the burden on the other members of the royal family, caused by the impaired health and possible death of an emperor.

The period of mourning following the death of an emperor can take up to a year, but there is no respite from the public duties required of the incoming symbol of the state.

“The surviving family is inevitably placed in an extremely severe position. The thought that there may be some way to avoid this recurs in my heart,” he said.

Akihito’s televised speech on Monday is only the second time he has addressed the public. The first was after a massive earthquake, deadly tsunami and nuclear disaster hit north-east Japan in March 2011.

Cramp

Pain in the writing wrist
Registered
Reaction score
Akihito’s televised speech on Monday is only the second time he has addressed the public. The first was after a massive earthquake, deadly tsunami and nuclear disaster hit north-east Japan in March 2011.

I had no idea the emperor was so removed from the Japanese public. I thought it might be something like the Queen, who has her yearly address.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
I had no idea the emperor was so removed from the Japanese public. I thought it might be something like the Queen, who has her yearly address.

Well... The Guardian's info isn't true. The Emperor addresses the public at least once a year, on January 2nd, during a special ceremony when he "receives" New Year's greetings. His speech is transmitted by TV too. Some of my students used to make fun of it :evil

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Queen Elizabeth is an entirely different case.

Emperor Akihito's heir is not particularly controversial nor disliked, nor does he seem ill-educated, not terribly bright, dangerously credulous and meddlesome, nor is he married to someone considered conniving, ambitious, and deeply unpopular.

:)

This seems to be something of a trend, though--monarchs in Belgium, the Netherlands, and Spain have all recently "retired" and let the next generation step up.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Q

So who is Emperpr Akihito's heir? A man or a woman? Googled it. Ah, I see. They're not entirely sure who would succeed him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_succession_controversy

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Roxxmom, the current emperor's heir is Prince Naruhito (Masako's husband). It is HIS successor that is not yet decided.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Roxxmom, the current emperor's heir is Prince Naruhito (Masako's husband). It is HIS successor that is not yet decided.

Ah, I see. Someone said Masako was crown princess, so I thought that meant she was the actual heir. So women can't inherit directly in Japan still.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Someone said Masako was crown princess, so I thought that meant she was the actual heir. So women can't inherit directly in Japan still.

Yes, they can't – not the Chrysanthemum Throne. The members of the imperial family can't adopt either.

I'm sorry that I made a mistake in your name!! I'm using my phone and didn't check.