Drones, Chocolate, Saving Wildlife. Is it me, or is anyone else suffering from Cognitive Dissonance?

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
The US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has a plan to save the endangered black-footed ferret, and it involves candy. The agency has proposed delivering vaccines to a ferret colony in Montana using drones capable of shooting vaccine-laced M&M's, The Guardian reports.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
I hope no one with kids are camping nearby! lol.

Yeah, I'm sure they've thought of that. Nice to see technology used this way.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope no one with kids are camping nearby! lol.

Yeah, I'm sure they've thought of that. Nice to see technology used this way.

Wouldn't the worse that would happen be the kids won't get ferret related illnesses?

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't the worse that would happen be the kids won't get ferret related illnesses?
Lol, Probably. I'd imagine there's no danger to humans or other wildlife.

Still, if I was there...I wonder would 500 peanut covered M&M's do any harm...

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I don't see, anywhere in the report that the Guardian story linked to, the term M&M, or chocolate, or candy. So why M&Ms as a word choice? The author is, apparently, a doofus. ETA: Or maybe I should have read the article more closely.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I don't see, anywhere in the report that the Guardian story linked to, the term M&M, or chocolate, or candy. So why M&Ms as a word choice? The author is, apparently, a doofus.

Perhaps that's how the the interviewee described the bait to the reporter. It'd be a poor reporter that just repeated the contents of an EIA.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see, anywhere in the report that the Guardian story linked to, the term M&M, or chocolate, or candy. So why M&Ms as a word choice? The author is, apparently, a doofus.
From the link ( I assume we have the same result via the link?)

"A modified fish bait machine has helped create the vaccine, which will consist of M&Ms smeared in vaccine-laden peanut butter. Machett said lab tests show that prairie dogs find the bait “delicious”, with a dye added to the mix reliably showing up on the animals’ whiskers."

for me M&M will always mean chocolate....

eta, oh wait, you're saying the link from the Guardian article? Really? Not like the Guardian to get it wrong. Well spotted, that man.
ETA 2: Guess they are going with the biologist they quoted.

“We dropped the vaccine out of a bag while walking around, but that’s very hard to do over thousands of acres,” said Randy Machett, a FWS biologist. “Spraying burrows with insecticide to kill the fleas is also labor intensive and not a long-term solution. So we are working with private contractors to develop equipment to drop the vaccine uniformly across an area, rather than one hog getting to eat a big pile of them.”

Machett said a “glorified gumball machine” has been devised to dispense the vaccine. This device can be fitted to a drone, which will use its GPS to reliably drop vaccines at 30ft intervals. The drone will also be able to fire out the M&Ms to the left and right, meaning that three vaccines can be dropped at once.
A modified fish bait machine has helped create the vaccine, which will consist of M&Ms smeared in vaccine-laden peanut butter. Machett said lab tests show that prairie dogs find the bait “delicious”, with a dye added to the mix reliably showing up on the animals’ whiskers."

Randy does seem to exist

from https://www.fws.gov/refuges/news/SpecialDelivery.html

"Where tagging is too costly or labor-intensive – as it is with prairie dogs – scientists find other ways to follow transplants. Staff at Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge in Montana have relocated more than 2,600 prairie dogs. In 2007, they moved 800 to repopulate colonies after an outbreak of plague – a recurrent prairie dog threat. Leaving them where they were would have doomed the colony, says senior refuge wildlife biologist Randy Matchett. It also would have hurt other species that depend on prairie dogs, such as endangered black-footed ferrets. (When you’re a predator, you’re only as healthy as your prey.)"

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Ah, I was reading the actual FWS proposal that is linked in the article. It doesn't mention the "what" the bait is. Thanks.

I wonder if mentioning the candy aspect would have hurt the proposal?

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I was reading the actual FWS proposal that is linked in the article. It doesn't mention the "what" the bait is. Thanks.

I wonder if mentioning the candy aspect would have hurt the proposal?
No one takes Candy seriously at board room level.

Except, of course, Mr Wonka.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
It would not be chocolate, surely?

Chocolate is a deadly poison to most animals, including, apparently, ferrets.
How many M&Ms would a ferret have to eat to get to 2 oz of chocolate? According to my handy-dandy bag 28 pieces of candy = 1 oz, and some of that is weight of the non-chocolate candy coating.

It's not good for them, but I doubt they're spreading enough of these that any one ferret would get 1 oz of chocolate, let alone a 2 oz lethal dose.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Oompa loompa doompety do
I have got a riddle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you need when your ferrets are ill?
The medicine's here in the form of a pill!
Use a drone to get it out quick
So they will not be sick!

Prairie dogs are ailing too!

Oompa loompa doompety deen
Ferrets have got the latest vaccine
They will live in happiness true
Like the Oompa Loompa doompety do!

Last edited: