Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I think a reasonable argment could be made for President Carter being fairly honest and ethical.

In real life, that is, not in fictitious quotes.

He has been an utterly fantastic ex-President. He set a shining example that anyone could be proud of.

Possibly our best retired President after John Quincy Adams.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a real, and serious problem.

If Hillary Clinton ever actually does anything seriously wrong, there is already such a pile of decades of fraudulent garbage accusations that it will be very difficult to hear or even notice genuine ones.

If? Every president does shady stuff. It's part of the job.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could have said "when". Thanks to decades of disreputable witch-hunts anything in that direction will be that much more difficult to spot.

I think we're in Nixon Country nowadays: "If the President does it, it's not illegal." Of course, they're will be witch hunts. There are always witch hunts. I wouldn't have minded some witch hunts of Bush and Cheney though, that's for sure.

Hillary will be fine. Maybe we can get her somebody a little better to run the White House servers though?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I think we're in Nixon Country nowadays: "If the President does it, it's not illegal." Of course, they're will be witch hunts. There are always witch hunts. I wouldn't have minded some witch hunts of Bush and Cheney though, that's for sure.

Do you think that applies to President Obama?

He seems far more ethical in the office than anyone in living memory outside of President Carter.

I mean yeah, he's not perfect and he has made some very questionable decisions.

But my gods, has no one noticed how relatively scandal-free his administration had been, especially compared to his dismal predecessor?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

He seems far more ethical in the office than anyone in living memory outside of President Carter.

But my gods, has no one noticed how relatively scandal-free his administration had been, especially compared to his dismal predecessor?

With Obama you have lack of transparency and a crackdown on whistleblowers, droning too many civilians, and maybe spending too much money on vacation, but you're right he's pretty clean, and that has been a pleasant change.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Possibly our best retired President after John Quincy Adams.

John Quincy Adams had his own scandals in office, starting with the "Bargain and Sale." (Note on that: in 1824 neither Adams nor Jackson had enough Electoral votes to become president (although Jackson had a plurality of both popular votes and electoral votes). So the election went to the House, where the Speaker of the House, Henry Clay, made sure the vote came out for Adams. After which Adams named Clay to be Secretary of State. Both of them swearing* afterwards that there had been no quid-pro-quo.)

*Literally.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
John Quincy Adams had his own scandals in office, starting with the "Bargain and Sale." (Note on that: in 1824 neither Adams nor Jackson had enough Electoral votes to become president (although Jackson had a plurality of both popular votes and electoral votes). So the election went to the House, where the Speaker of the House, Henry Clay, made sure the vote came out for Adams. After which Adams named Clay to be Secretary of State. Both of them swearing* afterwards that there had been no quid-pro-quo.)

*Literally.

True enough. I was talking of his retirement specifically, although I was unclear about it. John Quincy Adams had in my opinion one of the best after-Presidency careers of anyone to hold the office.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
True enough. I was talking of his retirement specifically, although I was unclear about it. John Quincy Adams had in my opinion one of the best after-Presidency careers of anyone to hold the office.

To the list of fine after-presidency careers, I have to add William Howard Taft.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
To the list of fine after-presidency careers, I have to add William Howard Taft.

I have this idle fantasy about Clinton winning and appointing Obama to the supreme court, which would be the ultimate "FU" to congress for rejecting the moderate, mild-mannered Garland. Lots of reasons why this is unlikely, of course, but one can always dream...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I have this idle fantasy about Clinton winning and appointing Obama to the supreme court, which would be the ultimate "FU" to congress for rejecting the moderate, mild-mannered Garland. Lots of reasons why this is unlikely, of course, but one can always dream...

Oh dear, can you imagine the conspiracy theories?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I have, but then I only voted for the guy because he's Black, so I'm hardly impartial.

With Obama you have lack of transparency and a crackdown on whistleblowers, droning too many civilians, and maybe spending too much money on vacation, but you're right he's pretty clean, and that has been a pleasant change.

Speaking of change, Obama has left plenty of it in the taxpayer's pockets when it comes to taking vacations:

The first family's Christmas vacation to Hawaii in 2013 may have cost about $8 million. Of that total, at least $316,000 was for the Secret Service.

That's according to documents obtained by the right-leaning watchdog group, Judicial Watch. The Obamas spent 17 days in Hawaii between December 2013 and January 2014.

But the real cost is from Air Force One. It costs more than $210,000 per hour to operate the plane, and the Hawaii trip took 36.9 hours of flight. That adds up to more than $7.7 million dollars.

It's hard to tell for sure how Obama's vacation compares to the costs of others presidents' vacations. We can compare the amount of time spent on vacations among presidents, though.

As of December 2014, Obama had taken 161 vacation days. At the same point in their second terms George W. Bush had taken 405, Bill Clinton had taken 174 and Ronald Reagan had 390.

While it might be cheaper if the Prez packed the family up in the mobile home and trucked across the highway next time he wanted a vacation, Obama has been a workhorse compared to Dutch and Dubya when it comes to time off. If you want to ding Obama for not being a Model Chief Executive, you're gonna need a better example than that.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
As of December 2014, Obama had taken 161 vacation days. At the same point in their second terms George W. Bush had taken 405, Bill Clinton had taken 174 and Ronald Reagan had 390.

Seriously? Okay, I wanna be president. As of December 2014, I've taken 7 vacation days, and that was a record high for me.

...*sigh* I need a break.

ETA: It might depend on how they define "vacation day" though. Do weekends count into that number? I get weekends now, so I might match Obama.

Last edited:

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
While it might be cheaper if the Prez packed the family up in the mobile home and trucked across the highway next time he wanted a vacation, Obama has been a workhorse compared to Dutch and Dubya when it comes to time off. If you want to ding Obama for not being a Model Chief Executive, you're gonna need a better example than that.
Yeah, gonna have to agree with that.
Lies, damn lies, and surface data (statistics)

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
Tell you one thing, it's gonna be a sad, sad day, certainly in Europe, when Obama is not President. I mean Hillary is not the worst, but she aint no Barack.

I

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Tell you one thing, it's gonna be a sad, sad day, certainly in Europe, when Obama is not President. I mean Hillary is not the worst, but she aint no Barack.

Agreed. He's going to be on heckuva tough act to follow.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my defense, I did say "maybe" there, NT. And personally Obama is almost certainly going down as my favorite president during my life time.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score

I
I can say definitively that I'm going to miss the hell out of him when he's not around any more. I would say he's easily my favourite President in my lifetime but I've only been alive for him, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and like half a year of George H. W. Bush.

He's definitely my 2nd favourite President, only beaten because of my soft spot for LBJ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.