• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writer's block doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan

New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin!
Registered
Reaction score
There. I said it. ;)

But seriously, it does not exist. I know this because writer's block is just another name for Resistance, and you can smash Resistance to a million pieces with nothing more than a few thoughts.

What thoughts? 1) Not writing is not an option. You are on deadline...with yourself. The assignment gets done, the 3,000 words get written. This is not optional. This will happen. You think you're writing at your leisure? Please. This is work! 2) You're not inventing things. You're observing and writing what you see. The people in your science fiction novel? They're real. You're watching them explore the ruins left on a planet by long-dead civilization. You're simply describing what you see, like Marco Polo in the Khan's court.

If you're writing a newspaper or magazine article, even better. Those articles write themselves. You've identified the news, you have the quotes, you're armed with context, and you've found the most interesting detail to lead with. The rest is just dictation!

This works. I know it does, because I use this method. Hopefully it will be helpful to others as well. And if the words haven't sunk in, remind yourself that writing is not some romanticized practice involving muses that alight on your shoulder and deliver divine words to you...writing is work. Like any other kind of work, it doesn't get done until you do it.

Good luck!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
That's a much more polite reply than I had in mind.

-Derek

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
There. I said it. ;)

But seriously, it does not exist. I know this because writer's block is just another name for Resistance, and you can smash Resistance to a million pieces with nothing more than a few thoughts.

You lost me at "you".

What works for one writer doesn't necessarily work for the next one, too. The reason for this is that "the resistance", like writer's block, isn't a thing that's the same no matter who looks at it*. It's a state of mind and all minds are set up differently. (Also, some blocks orginate from a problem within the work itself, others from depression etc. Identifying which one you're hooked on is a major part of getting out of it.)

Me, I've read The War of Art where the term "resistance" comes from and didn't find it helpful at the time because it made the resistance look like this giant force without giving me much to break it down by. Later, I read Seth Godin's Linchpin which used the term "lizard brain" and gave us some pointers as to how it works. (Tries to protect you from the scary unknown by steering you beack into what you know to be safe and have cookies.) Being a writer, I love a good backstory, and this one helped me recognize what my brain is trying to do when I get into the procrastination rut, and deal with it.

So if your tactic worked for you, good for you. If it works for others, all the better. But for everybody else, putting your individual experience in absolute terms might be ... less than helpful.

*) See what I did there? Took your "doesn't exist" and raised it by a "not a thing" but without breaking the guidelines.

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
You lost me at "you".

What works for one writer doesn't necessarily work for the next one, too. The reason for this is that "the resistance", like writer's block, isn't a thing that's the same no matter who looks at it*. It's a state of mind and all minds are set up differently. (Also, some blocks orginate from a problem within the work itself, others from depression etc. Identifying which one you're hooked on is a major part of getting out of it.)

Yes, and it takes a writer a long time to figure out how their mind works. Lots of practice.

I've read The Art of War and...well, it didn't help much with writing.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We're so not having this discussion.

There. I said it. ;)

I don't give a damn for what you "know," you'll by golly both respect your fellow writers, and read the Sticky.

And while we're at it, cruise on by and read The Newbie Guide to Absolute Write.

Now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.