• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Quick opinion on one of two pen names, thanks.

Which pen name do you like more?

• Virginia Mae

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Ginger Mae

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to go with my first and middle names because I don't think my last name has the right sound to it.

My book is YA sci-fi and in the interim I have a short story ready to be published in sci-fi horror genre. I don't want two pen names at this time so YA sci-fi is the genre the name will mainly be for.

So which of these do people prefer:

Ginger Mae
or
Virginia Mae

Thanks.

Last edited:

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Ginger sounds a little "cutesy" to my way of thinking. Whereas Virginia could write in any genre.

But, hey, pick what you like most and really want to wear. We can weigh in, but you'll be the one with the name on the book. :)

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I like Ginger more. Hah it's actually because I very much dislike the name Virgina. Ginger is more unique and i have a unique name so I always like unique names.

Honestly, everyone's going to have a different opinion. I just told you which one i like, but I'm sure either one would sell a book.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also write under my first and middle names because my last name is long, often mispronounced, and carries images of a malevolent British official.

I like Ginger Mae. If I were a young adult, I'd read her sci-fi and horror. :greenie

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions. I have to decide by tomorrow. Virginia Mae rolls off the tongue better but it sounds so southern. I am writing for the YA audience.

[continues to ponder]

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Neither of these sound like they could be real names. Perhaps change the spelling to "May".

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neither of these sound like they could be real names. Perhaps change the spelling to "May".

There are a few "famous" folks out there with the last name Mae. For a good made-up sounding name how about Epp Mäe--freestyle wrestling world championship and a bronze medal winner.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I strongly prefer Virginia. Ginger Mae sounds cutesy-wootsey to me; I'd like it better for middle grade or picture books.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly prefer Virginia. Ginger Mae sounds cutesy-wootsey to me; I'd like it better for middle grade or picture books.

I missed the part about genre. Now, I'm less sure, but I think Ginger would still be okay for YA. When you tack on horror, I may lean more toward Virginia.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm...

May - might be a good idea.

Virgina, more sophisticated, serious; Ginger more fun but riskier.

Still no one concerned Virginia Mae sounds like a southern belle.

Thanks everyone.

[pondering continues...]

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I missed the part about genre. Now, I'm less sure, but I think Ginger would still be okay for YA. When you tack on horror, I may lean more toward Virginia.

The horror genre is not something I expect to write more in. I just had that short horror story I wrote on a lark published. So YA scf fi is the genre that is going to matter. My first novel is nearing the beta read stage and that's the one that matters. And the second book I have planned is the same genre.

In case it affects anyone's opinions, my sci fi books have a bit of civil unrest but there is no war or battling space races. To me there are two genres in sci fi, those with big epic clashes between civilizations and those which involve the future, but not war and military battles. Mine's about gender, generational, class, and cultural conflict. Physical conflict doesn't go beyond fists and mistreatment of people.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting search in the library catalogue just now: Lots of authors with the last name of May. Only a couple with the last name of Mae. And neither last name with either first name gets any direct hits.

I should go with May because it would be more easily recognized as a surname.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I'd go with Virginia, and stay with Mae, not May. It's good to stand out like that. But throw both spellings in your website keywords. :)

"Ginger" gets me too close to "Ginny" which I don't think works for sci-fi.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
To me, May is a woman's first or middle name, not a surname. In fact, it's my grandmother's middle name. I've never heard of it being a last name before. But people in different places, who've known different people with different names, will have their own reactions and associations. In the end, you have to go with what you like best. (For what it's worth, I like Ginger more than Virginia. It sounds more modern. I don't think it feels cutesy at all, but then, I grew up with Gilligan's Island, where the character of Ginger was a sexy bombshell.)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I was thinking it either sounds cutesy-wootsey or like an old lady name. (Ginger on Gilligan's Island would be about 75 or 80 now, wouldn't she?). And indeed, to me, it sounds both. I see an adorable woman of 70+ with dyed red hair, a pink cardigan sweater, and at least four cats. That might just be me, though.

I know someone with the last name May.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
I like Virginia Mae. I agree with some of the others that Ginger sounds a little cutesy.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
There are a few "famous" folks out there with the last name Mae. For a good made-up sounding name how about Epp Mäe--freestyle wrestling world championship and a bronze medal winner.

Most of these are foreign, which is why the combination with an English first name like Virginia or Ginger seems implausible. These names make it pretty obvious you're using your first and middle name. I probably could have guessed it even if you didn't tell me.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Nowadays I think a lot of people have first and last names that don't "match" ethnically. My last name is Hispanic; my first name is not. And then there are married women who take their husbands' names. And then -- so what if people suspect it's a pen name?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to go with my first and middle names because I don't think my last name has the right sound to it.

My book is YA sci-fi and in the interim I have a short story ready to be published in sci-fi horror genre. I don't want two pen names at this time so YA sci-fi is the genre the name will mainly be for.

So which of these do people prefer:

Ginger Mae
or
Virginia Mae

Thanks.

This is probably a dialect thing but ginger is a hair colour, so unless you're ginger I wouldn't go with that. In the USA I don't think it's as common for ginger to be used as a hair colour, more often I've heard Americans say "red hair". Over here, Ginger's a nickname for people with ginger hair. I find it really weird when someone's called Ginger and they're not ginger. It's like someone being called Blondie when they have black hair.

Also, Ginger Mae makes me think of drinking ginger beer in May.

And in the UK it's fairly common for the nickname ginger (for a ginger-haired person) to be pronunced with hard /g/ so it rhymes with ringer and starts with the same sound as goat. This only applies for the nickname and hair colour, not the spice. And you can say "he's a ginger" (pronounced the hard g way) to mean "he has ginger hair".

If you want your writing to cross the Atlantic, please be aware of the above.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am very aware of Gingers. Tim Minchin wrote my favorite Ginger song, called Prejudice.
A couple of Gs, an R and an E, an I and an N
Just six little letters all jumbled together
Have caused damage that we may never mend

And South Park has a Ginger episode. All great fun given I have the name, Ginger.

My name also has its own history. I'm named after my father's two aunts, Virginia and Mae. My mother disagreed with the choice and agreed only if she could call me Ginger instead of Ginny which one aunt went by. You have to understand they were both alcoholics and my father's teenage years which he spent with his aunts were anything but respectable.

Back to my pen name. The decision was based on the majority vote here topped off with my son's opinion:
I think Virginia May sounds like a proper respectable writer you would see in the top selling section at Barnes and Noble!

Virginia May it is.

Love you all for your input. It has truly been helpful. :D

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
And in the UK it's fairly common for the nickname ginger (for a ginger-haired person) to be pronunced with hard /g/ so it rhymes with ringer and starts with the same sound as goat. This only applies for the nickname and hair colour, not the spice. And you can say "he's a ginger" (pronounced the hard g way) to mean "he has ginger hair".

Ok you've got me confused. I watch a fair amount of BBC America and PBS Brit shows, and haven't heard this before. I've heard the ginger term but only with g like giraffe for both spots.

You mean the name G(like goat)ing(like goat)er is another way to pronounced that?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Ok you've got me confused. I watch a fair amount of BBC America and PBS Brit shows, and haven't heard this before. I've heard the ginger term but only with g like giraffe for both spots.

You mean the name G(like goat)ing(like goat)er is another way to pronounced that?

Ditto here -- I know the ginger term, have heard it used on British television, have heard it used by friends from England, Scotland, Australia, and New Zealand, but they all said "ginger" with two "g"s pronounced as in "giraffe." I've never once heard it said with a hard g.

ETA:

Found this, though: http://languagehat.com/ging-er/ Apparently, it's an insult if used with a hard "g." And not all Brits have heard that pronunciation used, either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.