Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] The Roman Group (Nicholas Roman Lewis)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Agency] The Roman Group (Nicholas Roman Lewis)

Howdy! Does anyone know of /have any info on
    Carlos Montrera and Nicholas Roman Lewis, both from NYC/Jersey? Thanks.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Nicholas Roman Lewis responded to my e-mail query on May 24th last year requesting my first 3 chapters and synopsis. I sent these within 24 hours and never heard from him again, despite further e-mail nudges.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Cowboy,

This is what I found for Mr. Lewis on Preditors & Editors:

Nicholas Roman Lewis: an agent. $ Further info unavailable.

The dollar sign is a good sign, but looks like some further digging might be needed.

Found more stuff - he's a literary agent/entertainment attorney. So far, I can only find one book he's placed, but that's only a preliminary look-see. He does have another one up on Publisher's Marketplace, offering all rights - although it's from June of last year (no idea if he's placed it). No website as yet (located in Brooklyn, NY)

Couldn't find anything on the other guy. Do you have the name of an agency for him?

~Nancy
    Last edited by JerseyGirl1962; 04-27-2006 at 06:31 PM.
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Cowboy,

In response to your PM

Could you school me as to how you found that info on Lewis? And not meaning to be dense, I don't quite what it all means. Were you saying that he actually hasn't sold any books to houses?

You're not dense, trust me. Understanding all this stuff takes awhile. I just googled his full name (surrounded by quotes) and came up with quite a few hits. He has sold at least one book to, I believe, HarperCollins (a romance, if I'm not mistaken). As I didn't go through every single hit, it's possible I would've discovered other books he's sold.

Supposedly, he repped Frederick Smith's book, "Down for Whatever," by Kensington last year.

You may want to google "Frederick Smith" (using the quotes) and see what turns up.

Carlos Montrera is an independent. He wanted to represent me, wanting to self publish for me, footing the expenses. That sounded STRANGE, so I backed away.

Self publish? Egad, if you went that route, you could cut out the middleman and go straight to Lulu.com. Good move on your part.

Good luck in finding an agent!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

I got a big nothing on Montrera, even when I tried some spelling variations in case the surname was misspelt. It may be that I missed the exact variation.
    On the other hand, an 'agent' who offers to oversee someone else's self-pubbing has to be so marginal that perhaps he really doesn't have any web-presence?
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

you make sense, batgirl.

Batgirl

You are correct--he doesn't have a web presence. I'm glad my gut and common sense told me to run awayyyyyyy from him.

practical experience, FTW Spiny Norman's Avatar
    Well, I got an email response from Mr. Lewis after finding him through agentquery.com, who I believe are usually pretty good about standards. I see he's done a fair amount of ethnic stuff and he's made legitimate sales to several publishers... He's been around 6 years, which suggests to me that while he's been around for a decent amount of time he's also somewhat newish, and if he's an entertainment attorney rather than just an agent he may have divided his time a little bit.

He responded very quickly and enthusiastically to my query. Within an hour or two of sending it he requested to see the first chapter and then asked me to mail him the full ms. He said he loved the character already and thought that it read well, and he especially likes the breed of story that I wrote (fairy tales with strange, quirky twists). He said he would get back within 4 weeks.

While I'm aware that he has not specified in representing "fantasy," which this could be called, his enthusiasm and a decent track record have tempted me to accept that this may in fact be legit. I trust agentquery fairly well. And even though he's not a pure fantasy agent, well... my book isn't pure fantasy, either.

I don't know. Have you guys heard anything else about him?

There's a little bit here: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...NicholasLewis/
    He lists fantasy/science fiction among his genres and specialties.
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

practical experience, FTW Spiny Norman's Avatar
    Yup, I took a gander at that. I dunno, I suppose he seems okay. His emails didn't have any misspellings, which to be honest was the first of its kind from the ones I've gotten from agents. Which I find hilarious.

Has anyone else heard anything from Nicholas Roman Lewis? I saw on his Publishers Marketplace listing that he wasn't accepting new submissions until after October, 2007. I queried him on Aug. 6 but haven't heard back. Just wondered if anyone else had.

Steph

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    He's still selling: most recently a two-book deal to Dorchester, in September.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Tigercub's Avatar
    I queried him on February 10, 2008.

I'm still waiting for a reply.

But not with much hope, frankly, at this point. He's obviously blown me off.

practical experience, FTW
    Anyone query him recently?
    Blood in the Stars ~ paranormal romance, Aug 2013 from Soul Mate Publishing
    My Website

I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later, publishers would publish anything that had my name on it ~ George Bernard Shaw

I emailed him my query last night and he emailed me asking for a partial this morning. Here's hoping.

It's a catastrophic success! Ugawa's Avatar
    I queried his yesterday and received a partial. He asked me to send the first two chapters 'via email'. That means I send it in the body of the email instead of an attachment, right? lol
    Dangerous Sky:

Quote Originally Posted by Ugawa View Post
    I queried his yesterday and received a partial. He asked me to send the first two chapters 'via email'. That means I send it in the body of the email instead of an attachment, right? lol
    Via email as opposed to via snail mail. I'm thinking partials are normally attached, not in the body of the email, unless you're told otherwise.
    Last edited by Parametric; 08-21-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    Via email as opposed to via snail mail. I'm thinking partials are normally attached, not in the body of the email, unless you're told otherwise.

Yeah.

It's a catastrophic success! Ugawa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post

Kk, Thanks.
    Dangerous Sky:

figuring it all out
    So no recent news as to sales and activity? I didn't find his publisher's marketplace exactly enlightening? I'm contemplating sending him my YA Fantasy query, but it seems like he's only really been effective in moving ethnic contemporary stuff.

Thoughts? Advice?

F.F.

Me love books much
    I just sent off a query to Mr. Lewis today... urban fantasy.

practical experience, FTW bclement412's Avatar
    djaffe, let us know how it goes
    ------------------------
    Blue Abyss (YA Paranormal) 62K

15 Partials (4 Rs, 3 request for revisions, 1 request for larger partial, 1 request for full)
    6 Fulls (1 R)
    65 Rejections
    4 personalized query Rs

------------------------
    Damaged (Edgy YA)

1st Draft (1/30/10): 8,500 words

Blog: Author Interviews/ARC reviews

Me love books much
    He got back to me the next day requesting the first 3 chapters. Pretty prompt on his part!

Just sent him a query myself
    ------------------------

15 Partials (4 Rs, 3 request for revisions, 1 request for larger partial, 1 request for full)
    6 Fulls (1 R)
    65 Rejections
    4 personalized query Rs

------------------------
    Damaged (Edgy YA)

Me love books much
    Good luck bclement412!!

Thanks! I'll update when I get news
    ------------------------

6 Fulls (1 R)
    65 Rejections
    4 personalized query Rs

------------------------
    Damaged (Edgy YA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast