Did my erotica just become women's/literary fiction?

MissyMay

Registered
Reaction score
I was originally just planning to wing it with my first erotica story, but now that I've spent a little time coming up with more of an outline and background, well... it's feeling a lot more like women's fiction or literary fiction than erotica. Is that okay? Are there many erotica books out there with a legit story line that is more than just a way to jump between sex scenes? Should I remove the erotic parts completely and just market it as women's/literary fiction? I'm so confused!

Edit 1: I will admit that I haven't read much variety in erotica (just stories with a very basic plot to get from Sexual Encounter A to Sexual Encounter B), so that's probably why I don't know the answer.

Edit 2: Would it be possible to write a non-erotica novel to set up the entire story and tell a lot about the main character and then write a few erotic novellas from the perspective of characters involved in the first novel (with their own separate stories)? Could that work?

Last edited:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Edit 2: Would it be possible to write a non-erotica novel to set up the entire story and tell a lot about the main character and then write a few erotic novellas from the perspective of characters involved in the first novel (with their own separate stories)? Could that work?
So, basically, write slash-fic for your own mainstream characters? It could be done (heck, it probably has been done)...

MissyMay

Registered
Reaction score
So, basically, write slash-fic for your own mainstream characters? It could be done (heck, it probably has been done)...

It wouldn't be characters of the same gender, so it wouldn't be slash fiction... but along those lines, yes.

It's just that erotica is a small part of the wider, tragic story of the main (female) character, and I'm wondering if it just wouldn't do as well as erotica... or if it would do REALLY well as erotica for readers who want more of a satisfying story and less of the "let me get you off" kind.

From what I can tell on Amazon, there's nothing under the Erotica category that my book would fall into...

Edit: I didn't plan at all on NOT writing erotica right now, so maybe I should write my erotic novellas first and then write the non-erotica novel later? It would almost be backwards. Would my erotica readers not want to read a non-erotic story, though, even if they wanted to know more about the character? GAH! I am full of confusion and questions.

Last edited:

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
There is definitely erotica out there with plot and character development and backstory and what have you. Megan Hart's Tear You Apart and Tiffany Reisz's The Siren both have a very women's fiction feel to them. Kitty Thomas is another one. Depending on how you were introduced to the genre, it can be a little confusing, because erotica encompasses everything from Anais Nin to Bigfoot stroke pieces. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point, since you haven't even started writing the book. Write it the way it wants to be written, and if you find the ratio of sex-to-plot to be veering towards the latter, you can always tone down the sex scenes and pitch it as women's fiction (possibly even romantic women's fiction). Erotica certainly isn't the only genre with sex scenes. In the meantime, check out the titles and authors I mentioned above. You may be surprised by how at-home your story feels once you've delved further into the genre.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you may not be very familiar with the erotica that's out there and selling. Most of it features well-rounded characters in plausible plots that involve personal growth or change. Erotic Romance, of course, features a romance plot with the sex scenes as detailed as the other scenes. Erotica need not be romantic and the plot usually hinges on a sexual voyage or discovery.

The erotica that just strings together sex scenes is more typical of the lower-quality material being given away. If you hope for commercial sale, or brisk sales of selfpubbed erotica, you have to have fully developed characters and a real plot.

Maryn, who does

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
It's just that erotica is a small part of the wider, tragic story of the main (female) character, and I'm wondering if it just wouldn't do as well as erotica... or if it would do REALLY well as erotica for readers who want more of a satisfying story and less of the "let me get you off" kind.

We don't have the details about your story, so it's really up to you.

I will tell you this, though: There are Erotic Romances (Romance stories with erotic sex scenes) and Erotica (even some free ones) that have plots and developed characters out there. There are some non-erotica genres that have a bit of sex material, too.

Perhaps you can try reading various erotica and Erotic Romances, and see if your story fits. Try to find and read quality ones, though. Perhaps ask for recommendations, or look up lists on Goodreads or on book review blogs/websites.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
A similar thing happened to me. Something I started as erotica probably isn't any more. I'm not sure where it will land: my best guess is romance, but maybe erotic romance, women's fiction, or literary, though I'm not ambitious enough to put much stock in the last. I'd be happy to swap some work.

MissyMay

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input! I certainly do need to read more high-quality erotica (I was mostly choosing from whatever was free, at the time). I think I've decided to continue writing what I've already started: erotica short novels/novellas about various characters who are involved with the central character I mentioned in the first post. Later, I'll write a non-erotic novel about the central character, which will explain what she's gone through and how she got to be where she is when the other characters come into her life. It will be a gamble, and I'm not sure if my erotica readers will want to read a non-erotic book, but I'm hoping that, if they are intrigued by her enough, they'll want to read about her life. If not, oh well! Someone will read it!

Another

Forever Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Worry less. Write more - straight from the heart.