Ice Cream Making at Home

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
it actually works with any kind of a towel, maybe even paper towels, though I haven't tried those.

PorterStarrByrd

Registered
Reaction score
the disadvantage of a paper towel would be that you probably can't pick it up an squeeze the last juice out of it.

Makai_Lightning

Love Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I just learned how to make homemade ice cream a few months ago. Instantly in love.

First attempt, Coconut Ginger, came out a little too icy, but delicious. Not sure how it would have fared if I had more time when I first made it, or if I had an ice cream maker. Tasted awesome though. Worked well at soft serve consistency.

Next flavor I made was Sea Salt Caramel, which I messed up twice entirely (burnt the caramel when I made it--first time for that too). The third time was the most delicious thing I ever tasted and was perfect consistency right out of the freezer.

Third one I made was Orange Creamsicle. Also loved it. Took recommendation from what my friends wanted and just went with it.

I haven't made it since because I can't eat so many sweets, and I need more people to feed it too. Also, it takes forever without an ice cream machine. Easy enough now that I've done it, but a total time suck.

Maple Pecan or Coffee Mocha might be the next ones I try, if I ever can get around to it. Maybe Lemon. Not sure how exactly I'd make that work yet, if anyone's tried it. =p

PorterStarrByrd

Registered
Reaction score
Especially good idea to filter out the blackberry seeds which can really get under your false teethes and create havoc.

- - - Updated - - -

ours are still several weeks from being ripe, but I have my eye on them.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Today's ice cream is chocolate with double chocolate banana bread chopped up and mixed in. I think it was a bit too much for how much base I had, but it's nummy.

002_zpsdy9cljcf.jpg

One thing I'll say about bananas is that you really need to cook them down before using them or you'll get this weird alcohol flavor.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Lol, this sounds much more complex than my icecream making. (Though mine is more icemilk than anything because I dislike high-fat icecreams and favor high-ice icecreams) I have a chest freezer which gets quite cold, I use that instead of any kind of appliance. Procedure:
- take 1 large food-safe tupperware
- fill halfway with chocolate milk, whole milk, almond milk, or soy milk as desired, plus sugar and vanilla for the kinds that aren't sweet
- add flavorings, such as banana slices and nilla wafers, or oreos, or marshmallow fluff/almond pieces/chocolate chips/coconut. Add enough so the container is about 9/10s full, stirred well
- Put it in the chest freezer, stir it every half hour until too hard to stir
- Eat! ^_^

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Sunandshadow, one of my very favorite ice creams is what my folks used to call lemon sherbet. But it wasn't a sherbet at all. It was an ice milk. Basically the juice of three lemons, two cups of sugar, and one quart of whole milk (3-2-1), except I only use a cup and a half of sugar nowadays and I add the zest of one lemon to the mix. The trick is to not add the lemon juice until the batch is almost frozen. Otherwise it's likely to curdle.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Sunandshadow, one of my very favorite ice creams is what my folks used to call lemon sherbet. But it wasn't a sherbet at all. It was an ice milk. Basically the juice of three lemons, two cups of sugar, and one quart of whole milk (3-2-1), except I only use a cup and a half of sugar nowadays and I add the zest of one lemon to the mix. The trick is to not add the lemon juice until the batch is almost frozen. Otherwise it's likely to curdle.

Interesting! When I saw the words "lemon juice" my first thought was, indeed, "Doesn't that curdle???"

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I realize I want an ice cream maker if only so I can recreate dead Ben & Jerry's flavors...

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Missed this the first time.

My cranberry sorbet recipe simmers cranberries then adds gelatin, sugar, lemon juice, and ginger ale. The cranberries get run through the chinois and then everything mixed together. I haven't tried this with an ice cream maker. I half-freeze it then beat the heck out of it with a hand mixer, then freeze again.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tonight I made three batches of blackberry and blueberry ice cream. The first was a double batch, the second I tried something different. First, I used buttermilk powder when making the base, along with some cream cheese. I wanted that "tang" you get from cheesecake. But I'm not so sure I achieved that. Once it fully cools, I'll taste it again.

001_zpsmcor6ohy.jpg

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Today, I churned some creme de minthe ice cream and my peanut butter ice cream. The creme de minthe was too sweet because I tried using a syrup for the first time that was way sweeter than I expected.

My goal for that is to find the old flavoring I used to use years ago. It was a small bottle that was enough to flavor an entire batch. I think I paid $3 for each bottle, too, about 10 years ago. But it was perfect.
That or I need to figure out a way to make my own creme de minthe flavoring from various extracts. I'm not sure how that would be done, but there is info online for it, so I need to do more research.

As for the peanut butter, it came out more like a peanut butter fudge, and was too thick to churn. However, it was incredible and those who tasted it said it was one of the best they've ever had. I might try to do it as a no-churn ice cream and see how that works.