AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Entrada Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question Entrada Publishing

I saw that Entrada Publishing was looking for submissions on a Goodreads Beta Reading Group.

So I checked them out. They seem to mostly be a review and editing company that provides services for self-published authors. However, in one of their tabs, they state that they'll traditionally publish outstanding submissions to them:

http://entradapublishing.com/editing/publishing.html

They claim they are NOT a vanity press and from what I can tell, that's true. I checked out their facebook page. That's where you can find their published authors being promoted. The books look pretty good. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Whispers-Past.../dp/B01DWC4H7E

There's only one that stumps me, and that is that on their actual website, they don't list their published authors like every other publisher.

So what do you guys think? Are they a good place to submit to? Sure they're a small company that's up and starting, but do they seem legit to you?

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Giant red flag when a publishing services provider also offers to publish your book. If nothing else, it's a conflict of interest. And then there's this (bolding and error-pointing-up is mine):

Do you have to be our customer to have your book published by us? No - but it certainly helps. We receive a large amount of manuscripts to review and the only guaranteed way of getting yours read is through editing, proofreading, beta reviews or a book review. However, author's with a special topic, background, purpose, expertise, etc. may be the exception. You can send your query letter and/or chapter samples to us at: query@entradapublishing.com and let us know why you would be a good fit for us.
    This sounds like a classic bait-and-switch to me. You send your MS, hoping for a publishing offer, and they'll respond with a "needs work, but we can help you make it better" along with a menu of services that you pay for. This isn't "traditional" publishing.

Their website is a mess - lots of broken links.

P.S. I looked at the book you linked to. While I didn't see any egregious errors, there's a lot of filtering, info-dumping and clumsy constructions that a good editor would have caught and worked with the author to correct.

ETA: Peculiar that they have Paula Hawkins' The Girl on the Train featured prominently on their home page, as if they somehow have a hand in that book's success. I seriously doubt Random House/Penguin needed to purchase a review package from Entrada to promote their bestseller. Again, this looks like sleight-of-hand foolishness to me.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 07-08-2016 at 04:45 PM.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    STONEKING: Releasing February 20, 2018 from Fiery Seas Publishing

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Also, who's behind this operation? I can't find any bio information at all. I looked up Entrada on LinkedIn to try to solve the mystery--at least they list some books there. However, on LinkedIn, the page for "Entrada Publishing" is a personal page rather than business page, which is a pet peeve of mine. At best, it shows they don't know how to use LinkedIn correctly (grumble...) Or, at worst, it suggests they're hiding something, since no individual employees are listed.

The Blue Line, short story published in Oakwood 2017
    Read it free!

Princess of Pirates: How I Ran Away to Sea: A Memoir,
    represented by Olswanger Literary

Twitter

Instagram

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Well, at the least, from here we learn the "lead acquisitions editor and marketing manager" is Rachel Smith.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Well, at the least, from here we learn the "lead acquisitions editor and marketing manager" is Rachel Smith.
    Well, we have a name at least! Unfortunately, not much else. (Unless she's the same Rachel Smith who wrote about Kellogg's Corn Flakes for The Atlantic, but I doubt it).

The Blue Line, short story published in Oakwood 2017
    Read it free!

Princess of Pirates: How I Ran Away to Sea: A Memoir,
    represented by Olswanger Literary

Twitter

Instagram

True, in retrospect that does throw up some red flags.

Red face This is an old thread, but if anyone is still listening...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Champion View Post
    I saw that Entrada Publishing was looking for submissions on a Goodreads Beta Reading Group.

So I checked them out. They seem to mostly be a review and editing company that provides services for self-published authors. However, in one of their tabs, they state that they'll traditionally publish outstanding submissions to them:

http://entradapublishing.com/editing/publishing.html

They claim they are NOT a vanity press and from what I can tell, that's true. I checked out their facebook page. That's where you can find their published authors being promoted. The books look pretty good. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Whispers-Past.../dp/B01DWC4H7E

There's only one that stumps me, and that is that on their actual website, they don't list their published authors like every other publisher.

So what do you guys think? Are they a good place to submit to? Sure they're a small company that's up and starting, but do they seem legit to you?

So this is a very old thread but I was a bit surprised and happy when I found it over the weekend.

So to answer a few questions I thought I'd write out responses to most of the questions/answers/research from the thread.

First - who we are: Entrada Publishing is the fairly new fiction arm of a large educational publisher. We publish fiction books in a variety of genres but stay away from erotica or romance (unless it's clean). We are ALWAYS looking for new authors who have a great story to tell. We are very active on several Goodreads groups so many know us from there.

The website has been and is currently being revised. Unfortunately, web designers aren't editors and vice versa. It looks like the right hand didn't know that the left hand was doing so many mistakes have been and will be changed in the next few days.

Being a new publisher, we've been busy adding new books to the catalog but based on your feedback we've now included a list of all our published titles which we will continue to add to as new titles are released. We have three in development now from existing authors which will be released in early 2017. We are NOT a vanity press and while we are willing to help authors get editing, covers, etc., we won't put our name on something that isn't top quality.

Our editors review for independent and small presses as well as for NetGalley. We do receive a large amount of requests for editorial reviews which have been used for books such as Sunborn Rising alongside Kirkus and US Review.

Remember every expression you've ever heard about teaching old dogs new tricks? Well, as you can guess, educational publishing is a dinosaur....and we don't know how to effectively use ALL social media as effectively as millennials (Linked In reference). However, we'll keep plugging along and improving. Unless you know someone in need of an internship at a publishing company? Then we'll get up to speed much faster.

I'm very approachable and always willing to talk and give feedback about a new manuscript or idea.

Please email me at rachel@entradapublishing.com or PM me through the site.

Thank you for helping us grow! I only wish I'd found this post sooner!

Rachel