Look Mom, I made a stingray out of rats.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The new, clear leader of creepiest thing I've seen all year.

The swimming stingray (made out of rat cells) robot.

"Roughly speaking, we made this thing with a pinch of rat cardiac cells, a pinch of breast implant, and a pinch of gold. That pretty much sums it up, except for the genetic engineering," says Kit Parker, the bio-engineer at Harvard who led the team that developed the strange robot.

Oh, and they believe it to be biological life form.

yay.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
"We turned a rat into a light guided stingray..."

They made some rat cardiac muscle cells react to a certain wavelength of light and packed them into a stingray-shaped casing. That's not the same thing. They could, at least, have used some muscle cells that don't spontaneously contract.

Hell, all they need to know is that this is the coolest thing they're going to see all year."

Juno is orbiting Jupiter. That's the coolest thing I've seen all year and I say this as a zoologist.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a pretty neat looking pseudo-stringray

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
This is fun but it really isn't a new biological life form. You could take any heart (including human), put it through a blender to separate the cells, plate the cells down and they would spontaneously contract. Researchers pretty often grow these squid-ring type structures out of cardiac tissue to measure how strong the contraction is. It lets you see whether genetic errors in encoding proteins actually change how the cells behave. The protein that causes the contraction (titin) is so huge that you can have a lot of encoding errors that don't seem to change its function at all.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
meh, I've dated worse. is it single?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That Fredickson Fish of yours is the next thing they're gonna tackle. We'll see how you like that!

Hey, back away from the Fredrickson fish :e2chain:

Your avatar is very scary. :chair

Really? I could have been shmooed into something truly horrible, like a battery. So I consider this a win.