Again. Shot Dead While (apparently) Reaching For License as Instructed

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
News from Australia--Goth swinger couple shot by police after the man pulls a gun (or possibly a fake gun) and doesn't drop it when instructed.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...e-during-swingers-ball-at-melbourne-nightclub
The woman is wounded in the leg, the man--in his torso. Both are in hospital.
To me this is proof that the police can deal with a situation like this without shooting everyone into shreds.
They tried to deescalate, and then shot to wound. End of story. The second part of the story will be for the hospital and the courts.
http://www.skynews.com.au/news/nati...wo-shot-by-police-at-melbourne-nightclub.html
(the man was dressed as the Joker and was with a woman dressed as Harley Quinn. It's not unlikely that someone learned a lesson about being very very high and being very very inadequate outside one's own home or a safe apartment.)

...It is possible that the following will emerge--people think they are in a safe place to carry out their fantasies and some public boinking, then the police arrive while the pair are in the act, give them a second to comply, then shoot them.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...t-nightclub-in-melbourne-20170707-gx77yv.html
Not a pretty story, and definitely will make me think twice before adding a musket and cutlass to my leather ensemble, but again--even if the whole story is a tragic misunderstanding--the tragedy is sliightly mitigated by the couple not having pistols emptied into them.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
To me this is proof that the police can deal with a situation like this without shooting everyone into shreds.
They tried to deescalate, and then shot to wound.

First, in defense of the police, it's not by any means easy to "shoot to wound". Police are pretty much instructed to "shoot to stop", and the ultimate result of that action may be wounding, may be fatal. BUT, it's hard to make that argument in cases like that of Laquan McDonald in Chicago, who was holding a knife about 20 feet away from the officers, not moving toward them in any way, and was shot sixteen times, most of those times after he had collapsed and was prone on the ground. There is full real-time video of this atrocity.

And one of the two Aussies was "shot in the torso". That doesn't sound much like a "shot to wound" action. He's probably lucky to remain alive.

caw

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
News from Australia--Goth swinger couple shot by police after the man pulls a gun (or possibly a fake gun) and doesn't drop it when instructed.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...e-during-swingers-ball-at-melbourne-nightclub
The woman is wounded in the leg, the man--in his torso. Both are in hospital.
They tried to deescalate, and then shot to wound. End of story. The second part of the story will be for the hospital and the courts.
http://www.skynews.com.au/news/nati...wo-shot-by-police-at-melbourne-nightclub.html
(the man was dressed as the Joker and was with a woman dressed as Harley Quinn. It's not unlikely that someone learned a lesson about being very very high and being very very inadequate outside one's own home or a safe apartment.)

...It is possible that the following will emerge--people think they are in a safe place to carry out their fantasies and some public boinking, then the police arrive while the pair are in the act, give them a second to comply, then shoot them.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...t-nightclub-in-melbourne-20170707-gx77yv.html
Not a pretty story, and definitely will make me think twice before adding a musket and cutlass to my leather ensemble, but again--even if the whole story is a tragic misunderstanding--the tragedy is sliightly mitigated by the couple not having pistols emptied into them.

Whereas they are trained in de-escalation techniques and are generally effective at it, police are not trained to 'shoot to wound' in threatening situations. In this case, they were aiming at the man -- they shot him in the torso -- and the woman was wounded accidentally.

The man is fighting for his life after being taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a critical condition...

When asked why the woman was shot, Superintendent Hardeman said: "The woman was in close proximity to the male ... As [police] opened fire, she was also injured."

Superintendent Hardeman wouldn't confirm how many shots were fired or how many police were involved in the shooting.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
So what I thought as an example of "civilized shooting" may have been simply "bad shooting"?
Definitely no musket with my costume...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
So what I thought as an example of "civilized shooting" may have been simply "bad shooting"?
Definitely no musket with my costume...
Within the Australian context, the Vic PoPo have had a ... reputation ... for shooting people, since the time of the goldfields. (Of course police shootings are still super-rare here, but that's probably because the default assumption isn't that every Aussie is packing heat.) Also, one wonders why an armed tactical squad was raiding a swinger's club on fancy dress night. Maybe they're sick of not being invited to those kinds of parties.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This will NEVER end.

Saturday marked the third mistrial in nine months for a former Tulsa, Okla., police officer who admittedly shot and killed his daughter’s black 19-year-old boyfriend.

The Associated Press reports that the Tulsa prosecutor on the case expressed shock when District Judge Sharon Holmes again declared a mistrial in the case against Shannon Kepler (Holmes has overseen all three trials), because jurors had deliberated for only a few hours.

“I have never experienced that procedure before in my life,” Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said, noting that judges often tell juries to continue deliberating after such a short amount of time.

Kepler doesn’t deny shooting 19-year-old Jeremey Lake, but claims he was acting in self-defense. Kepler testified that Lake was armed, although police didn’t find a weapon on Lake or at the scene. The shooting happened shortly after Lake had started dating Kepler’s then-18-year-old daughter, Lisa.

Attorneys said jurors deliberated for just 2 ½ to three hours on Friday before saying they were deadlocked 6-6. Holmes reminded jurors that the trial had started June 27 and asked whether that changed their minds. When they said no, the judge declared a mistrial.

Kunzweiler said that he will re-evaluate the 2014 case, taking into account the cost of retrying it, and decide before an Aug. 1 status conference whether to try Kepler for a fourth time.

Why bother? Justice is not served. Save the taxpayers money and don't waste it looking for something which does not exist, never has and never will.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Lifesaving advice from a black woman:

I don’t have de-escalation training. I’m the one being held at gunpoint. I’m the one thinking my life could end if he panics. Yet, I’m the one who must remain calm. The legal system is asking untrained civilians to de-escalate panicky cops.

I can't see any other way to read this than a black woman was assumed guilty and held at gunpoint without sufficient reason — because she was black.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Florida's State's Attorney pulled over, because, umm---well---uhh.

Link

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two Strikes, You're Home Free!

Ray Tensing gets away with it.
It looks as if former University of Cincinnati police officer Ray Tensing is going to walk clear of charges after shooting and killing an unarmed black motorist two years ago.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters announced on Tuesday that he was dropping the case against Tensing who fatally shot 43-year-old Sam DuBose after two previous juries were unable to reach a unanimous agreement on the murder and voluntary manslaughter charges that Tensing faced.

The most recent trial ended in a hung jury late June after six days of testimony, one day of closing arguments and almost 30 hours of deliberations over a five-day period.

“I don’t like it. We believe we cannot be successful at trial,” Deters said, according to the Associated Press.

Tensing, 27, shot DuBose in the head following what was supposed to be a routine traffic stop over a missing front license plate on July 19, 2015. Of course, Tensing, who was fired in the aftermath of the incident, claimed that he feared for his life. Last trial, Tensing claimed that DuBose had pinned his arm inside the car before accelerating.
(emphasis added)

Nothing will ever change. Only the names and the dates and the locations. Everything else will remain the same.

Until the day comes when they don't.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Cobb cop during traffic stop: ‘Remember, we only shoot black people

The footage shows a white female driver pulled over during a DUI traffic stop telling Abbott that she was scared to move her hands in order to get her cellphone because “I’ve just seen way too many videos of cops ... ”

At that point, she is cut off by Abbott.

“But you’re not black. Remember, we only shoot black people,” the police veteran of nearly three decades can be heard saying. “Yeah. We only kill black people, right? All the videos you’ve seen, have you seen the black people get killed?”

His defense is that he was only trying to de-escalate a tense situation. As if that makes it better or somehow prove he isn't racist.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Cobb cop during traffic stop: ‘Remember, we only shoot black people

His defense is that he was only trying to de-escalate a tense situation. As if that makes it better or somehow prove he isn't racist.

Knowing the cop sense of humor as I do (used to be one), I can totally see an officer briefly thinking this was a good idea. Saying something like this sarcastically does not automatically make him a racist. It just means he had lousy judgment that night. A lieutentant should have been able to handle that better.