Paying "Printing Costs"

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am mulling over contract offers from two separate small publishers for my fantasy series and am a bit puzzled by this clause from Pub #2.

“Net Revenues,” as used in this Agreement, shall refer to money actually received by the Publisher from the sale of the Work, after discounts, distribution fees, less returns, and less printing costs.

"Printing costs" made me go "hmmm." When I asked what that figure would be, the publisher responded that the figure is computed on a per-book basis and offered an example of $2.15 per book for a 1000 print run of a 9x6 trade paperback with a full-color cover.

I should probably add that they are offering an advance (something Small Publisher #1 is not, although their royalties are computed on list rather than on any net figure).

Anybody with more experience than me have any advice about this? Thanks.

P.S. I've looked up both publishers in the BBC&R subforum and while each has a thread, there's minimal information on them. Just so you know I'm doing my due diligence. ;)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think phrasing it is this way is an attempt to hide a fee (vanity press model). At the least egregious is it a one-off payment for POD print set up costs, but a per book fee for offset essentially makes you the publisher--but without having control of the publishing process. IMHO, not with a barge-pole unless you want to be vanity published. If they think print makes economic sense, they pay the up front costs.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Run away. Drop this like a hot potato.

The publisher should be assuming SOME risk, otherwise there's no reason for them to promote your book. And how would you even verify what the "printing costs" are, other than when the publisher sends you the bill?

I wouldn't sign it and think you should post this information in the relevant threads so others can see it and judge for themselves.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The fact that they're offering a four-figure advance is what is puzzling me about the whole equation.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
.A four figure advance versus a four or five figure bill (off set print runs normal start around 5000 copies) that is not clearly specified in the contract? Lots of room for that to go pear-shaped.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently seen a contract from an inept small publisher which offered a decent advance, but which then clawed it back through a similar definition of net which also included undefined printing costs, twinned with another clause which made the advance repayable.

I'd be very careful.

If you tell me who the publishers are I'll let you know if I've heard anything about them. In confidence, of course.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PM'd you. Thanks.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
To me, what matters most is the royalty rate I receive, the advance I receive, and whether anything other than reserves can be withheld from the royalty payment, but contracts often have bad clauses, even when the contract is from a top publisher, which is why agents are so important, and why it's dangerous to sign any novel contract from any publisher without having an expert go over the contract.

Handling your own contract before you're an expert yourself is like being your own surgeon. Even after you've been around long enough to know all the ins and outs, it's sill a time-consuming process, and your time is better spent writing.