The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Cozy Cat Press

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Cozy Cat Press

Has anyone worked with Cozy Cat Press? Doing some research on them and I am a bit alarmed by their royalty statement on their contact us page: http://cozycatpress.com/contact/

We work out royalty arrangements with each author on an individual basis depending on circumstances, but typically authors receive all royalties from Kindle sales and CCP retains royalties from other sources.
    (emphasis mine)

...Is that standard? I would assume authors typically get a share of royalties from all sales channels? Am I just reading that incorrectly?

practical experience, FTW zmethos's Avatar
    I've never heard of such an arrangement, but it's not like I have extensive knowledge. I can only say that, of the three small publishers I've dealt with, none of them framed the contract that way. And while most of my royalties do come from Amazon sales, I would hesitate to give away royalties from other sources. Do they do print books? Or is this all e-format?

That is not standard. Writers should get all royalties from their own books. That's the definition of royalties.

Yeah, that's weird. You should be getting something for every sale. You might as well self publish at that point and keep all the money.

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by zmethos View Post
    I've never heard of such an arrangement, but it's not like I have extensive knowledge. I can only say that, of the three small publishers I've dealt with, none of them framed the contract that way. And while most of my royalties do come from Amazon sales, I would hesitate to give away royalties from other sources. Do they do print books? Or is this all e-format?
    They say they sell to bookstores and libraries, but don't allow returns so I'm thinking they do POD. I don't think I'll bother subbing to them; as CheG stated, they don't seem much better than self-pubbing.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    I checked over at Barnes & Noble and found many of their titles available in e-pub format. None of the paperback titles I'd checked are available to pick up in a local B&N store; you can order one through the site directly or through a third-party vendor (one listed a title for $49.99).

While they do say they sell to bookstores, they don't offer details on any sort of discount available, which is standard. Probably because they don't offer returns; many bookstores would definitely take a pass because why would they purchase anything they can't return? (Why would anybody, bookstore, human, whomever do that?)

And pardon my language, but a publisher has absolutely no right to retain royalties from any source. This is downright unethical and, in my book, tantamount to theft. Any writer given this in a contract would be better off if they took a pass. (I just sent a message through their Facebook page and I'll update if/when I receive a response.)
    Last edited by BenPanced; 07-11-2016 at 03:08 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.