Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor, activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner, dies at 87

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Elie Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor who used his moral authority to challenge readers and world leaders in the ensuing decades, has died. He was 87.

Wiesel, whose death was reported by multiple media outlets and confirmed by Israel's Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem, was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 for his work on behalf of peace and justice: “It is the Committee’s opinion that Elie Wiesel has emerged as one of the most important spiritual leaders and guides in an age when violence, repression and racism continue to characterize the world.”

Having survived the Nazi Holocaust, Wiesel became a noted author and Jewish theologian; his autobiographical novel known in English as “Night” was one of the two most influential books about the murder of 6 million Jews, along with “The Diary of a Young Girl”/”The Diary of Anne Frank.” After becoming an American citizen, Wiesel became a prominent teacher, speaker and activist in his adopted country.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...nd-nobel-peace-prize-winner-dies-at-87-213655

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. Besides everything else he was, he was a great writer. Night and All Rivers Run to the Sea, I didn't read, I studied. RIP

draosz

Registered
Reaction score
I remember him quoting this at the beginning of one of his books in the Night trilogy:

"I was once more struck by the truth of the ancient saying: Man's heart is a ditch full of blood. The loved ones who have died throw themselves down on the bank of this ditch to drink the blood and so come to life again; the dearer they are to you, the more of your blood they drink."

Rest in peace.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
RIP. A huge loss for the world. He was a great man who did great work.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP. What an enormous loss

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
A man of immense importance and stature. The last voices of an entire generation are now passing. Will others of similar stature take their place and carry on their work? (And I don't just mean the specific work of Elie Wiesel.)

I have hope, but I also I have doubts.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
A man of immense importance and stature. The last voices of an entire generation are now passing. Will others of similar stature take their place and carry on their work? (And I don't just mean the specific work of Elie Wiesel.)

I have hope, but I also I have doubts.

This tweet from Gavin Newsom: "Elie Wiesel is proof that you don't need formal authority to change the world, all you need is the moral authority."

I'd add that it helps to be as passionate and eloquent as Elie Wiesel.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
[FONT=&quot]In Elie Wiesel, the world has lost a great human being who truly did what he could to leave this world a better place than what he found. May he rest in peace and sympathies to his family and loved ones.

Yitgadal v'yitkadash sh'mei raba.
B'alma di v'ra chirutei,
v'yamlich malchutei,
b'chayeichon uv'yomeichon
uv'chayei d'chol beit Yisrael,
baagala uviz'man kariv. V'im'ru: Amen.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Y'hei sh'mei raba m'varach
l'alam ul'almei almaya.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yitbarach v'yishtabach v'yitpaar
v'yitromam v'yitnasei,