Gritty violence in romance...can it sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcLeod

Registered
Reaction score
Hello awesome forumers!

So, I am thinking of jumping into the world of Romance. I have published numerous erotic shorts, but I want to move into the bigger leagues.

I was thinking of outlining a Romance novel, but then an idea occurred to me. The first novel I ever attempted to write was a neo-noir thriller. It contains a lot of violence and is heavy on plot. The two protagonists are on the run from the law and the mob. Lots of people die, and plenty of blood is spilt.

I took a look at it after about four years of letting it sleep, and realized that, at the heart of it, it is a romantic story.

With some heavy editing, I was thinking of tearing back through it and tweaking it towards the Romance genre--happy ending and all. But I don't know if that is a good idea.
I will admit, I don't read Romance. But I think that this book could be a Romance that I would want to read. The question is, would anyone else?

Does anyone have any experience with violent, gritty, messed up Romances? Think Natural Born Killers in book form (with a happy ending).

Would anyone be in to that?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it depends...

I think there is a subgenre of Romances called Suspense Romances or something like that.

However, just because there is a romance plot doesn't automatically make it a Romance.

There are other audience expectations, depending on the type of Romance.

For example, I know some Romance readers who, like me, don't like cheating or overly immoral heroes/heroines, etc.

Some subgenre have more flexibility in some expectations, like M/M Romances or SFF Romances.

I think it also depends on the publisher. Some publishers have more stricter guidelines about the type of content in their books.

For me, in a Romance, the Romance parts really have to be take center stage and be the vital main plot. Like, if you took out the Romance parts, the story structure would collapse entirely.

Again, just having a romance plot doesn't automatically make a story a capital-R Romance genre book in my eyes. There are plenty of other genre books that aren't Romance genre, but still have romantic subplots, like General Fiction, Women's Fiction, non-Romance SFF stories, Mysteries, etc.

I'm concerned that you said you would have to strip down some story content in order to fit a genre, in which you admit you don't read. You wouldn't want to sacrifice a great story in order to jam it into a genre that may not suit it as is, and in a genre you are not familiar with.

Perhaps you should try reading some Romances with similar plots (or close to the same genre) to your story, and see if your book could fit into that niche?

Basically, IMHO, I think in order to find out where your story can fit, is to check out what's current in the genre you want to enter.

I hope perhaps some AWers can recommend some dark Suspense Romances here. Reading some similar stories in the genre can definitely help, I feel. :)

(Unfortunately, I don't read that particular subgenre of Romance, so I can't give any helpful recommendations of my own. ^_^;; Sorry. )

In summary: Read a variety of Romance books from a variety of publishers, especially those Romances that are closer to your preferred subgenre (suspense? thriller-ish?). Get familiar with the genre.

Alternative: When you finished polishing the final draft, you could try getting some beta readers to read it, and/or query and submit it to Romance publishers and see what results.

ETA: I think it can help us if you explain what qualifies as "gritty". Like, descriptive violence, tortute, or rape, etc?

I know there are some SFF that can be pretty gritty, and still have some romance elements.

Last edited:

DexyDoo

I typed "semen" how many times???
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with violent, gritty, messed up Romances? Think Natural Born Killers in book form (with a happy ending).

Yes. Dark Romances are a thing. Pretty popular lately. You can search Amazon for dark romances. They vary from disgustingly (my opinion) dark to mild and less disgustingly dark. Ha. I wrote one and am in the process of writing another. Good luck!

DMcLeod

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, really helpful!

I think the main problem with the story right now is that it is first person present tense from the male perspective. I think that I would need to maybe switch POV's every other chapter to the female, which I am not against doing as the entire thing is only 30k words right now and it's a first draft.

As far as violence, it is pretty brutal. There is rape, realistic death, etc. I don't know if you have ever read the Phineas Poe trilogy by Will Christopher Baer, but mine takes a lot of inspiration from those books.

Last edited:

DMcLeod

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Dark Romances are a thing. Pretty popular lately. You can search Amazon for dark romances. They vary from disgustingly (my opinion) dark to mild and less disgustingly dark. Ha. I wrote one and am in the process of writing another. Good luck!

Well that is certainly encouraging! I will definitely check that genre out.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, dark romance is a thing. Personally, I've seen more self-published and small/indie pub dark romance than Big 5, but there is definitely a market for it. (Side note: does anyone have any Big 5 dark romance recommendations?)

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are some dark or twisted erotic/erotica tales out there. I think some have some horror elements. (Is Horror Romance/Gothic Romances a thing?) Some have BDSM elements, too.

Does your story have any erotic or disturbing content? It could probably fit those kinds of stories.

You can try looking up some Goodreads lists, too. (However, these lists are labelled by readers, not professionals, so their labels/tags may not always be accurate.)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/41581.Most_Controversial_Dark_Romance_
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/dark-romance

Most of these "Dark Romances" seem to be by niche publishers or are self-published, from what I noticed so far. <--I don't know if any of the Big 5 would release such books, or, at least, label/market them as genre Romance.

What about Romantic Suspense? Never hurts to check up on that genre as well. I know all sorts of publishers, including the Big Five, and Harlequin, that releases Romantic Suspense.
http://www.thebigthrill.org/latest-books/romantic-suspense/
http://www.justromanticsuspense.com/
http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.c...p-10-romantic-suspense-novels-you-should-read
http://www.goodreads.com/genres/romantic-suspense

ETA: It all really depends on how the content is handled, and what types of themes or subject matter does it touch upon.

From the limited info given about your story, your story sounds more like a thriller with romantic elements, or maybe (erotic?) romantic suspense.

I think reading more of the Romance genre, especially the subgenres mentioned above (Dark Romances; Romantic Suspense), could still provide more clues on where your story can fit.

Check out the publishers of those stories you do enjoy, as well.

Last edited:

DexyDoo

I typed "semen" how many times???
Registered
Reaction score
Evernight Publishing accepts dark romances. They put out a dark romance anthology in May. One of my stories is in there with 5 other authors' stories. It stayed in the Amazon top 100 (Romantic Erotica category) for a couple of weeks, and it was an All Romance Ebooks bestseller. So dark romance does sell.

And, Carina Press (an imprint of Harlequin) has a call out for dark romances right now.

From the Carina Press site: We’re seeking dark, erotic thrillers and psychological thrillers; stories of adultery and betrayal; characters with unusual sexual kinks; conflicts involving socially unacceptable pairings (teacher/student, prisoner/parole officer, step-siblings); real unredeemable bad boys and bad girls; tales of forced seduction/capture fantasies...

Status
Not open for further replies.