Graphics Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for graphics tablets? Entry-level or slightly above is fine, I really don't want to spend more than $100.

I've always been a Wacom girl, until I bought their latest Intuos Draw. The nib on the stylus started wearing out within the first week, creating a sharp edge that damaged the tablet's surface. It also made a horrible squeaking noise. When I complained to customer service, they replied, "The nibs are designed to wear out and need to be replaced often. The damage isn't covered under our warranty, sorry." I'd only used the tablet for a WEEK when this happened, so I asked if I was supposed to replace the nibs on a weekly basis, and they basically just shrugged. I was so angry, I left a negative review on Amazon and swore I wouldn't use Wacom anymore.

I prefer to order from Amazon, since I get Prime shipping and returns, but I only found two other tablet brands there. So, I'm open to suggestions!

JoeSlucher

Registered
Reaction score
Odd that you had that problem with the nibs as I've rarely ever replaced any of mine. Are you pressing super hard? If so, that might be a problem regardless of the tablet. You could always try adjusting your pressure sensitivity to be softer and it should cause you to naturally lighten the pressure you apply in response. Now the wacom utilities allow you to do a pressure graph so the pressure to stroke isn't doesn't have to be a straight line. I prefer the brush tip nibs with the spring and I think that also causes me to use less pressure.

I wonder if your nibs could be a quality control issue. I have never had problems with a Wacom product but I have seen TONS of complaints about quality control issues with the Wacom Companion and power cords for their devices. In those instances it appears that sometimes people get lemons. I wonder if you got a rare batch of crap nibs.

The Wacom alternatives that I have heard positive feedback on have been trying to steal Wacom's Cintiq market so their products tend to be more expensive than $100 but way below the Cintiq price tag. Huion is one of those companies but I'm not sure about how their regular tablets have been reviewed. https://www.huiontablet.com/

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'm pressing extremely hard. I didn't have this problem with my previous Wacom tablet. I only needed to change the nib maybe once a year. But this one! It's been about a month now, and the nib is barely visible beyond the tip of the stylus pen. I read some of the other reviews on Amazon and it seems other customers have had a similar issue with this particular tablet. It's the latest model from Wacom and it seems they've changed something, either the nibs themselves or the tablet's surface, so the nibs wear out a LOT faster than they should.

I had a problem with the power cord on my previous Wacom tablet. It's a USB cable, but the port is recessed, so it requires a very narrow USB plug. When the original cable stopped working, I must've ordered half a dozen USB cables from Amazon, trying to find one with a narrow enough plug to fit in the recessed port. Finally, my husband produced one from his stash. But because of the peculiar angle the cable takes on due to the recessed port, it tends to fray and then short out. I went through three cables, all with the same issue, before I finally gave up and ordered a newer tablet.

I'll check out the Huion tablets, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.