SYW thread expiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucidCrux

Write like there's no tommorowe.
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I wasn't searching the right words, but is there a generally accepted time on when SYW threads expire? I am asking because there are a lot less critique requests than I expected, and it seems like I'll need to go back to posts that are near a month old if not more to find things that aren't super long or that I feel I can genuinely add to.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hiya LucidCrux,

As someone who spends a decent amount of time in SYW, here's my 2c (complete with terrible analogy):

Sometimes, if a SYW sub-forum moves quickly (QLH and SF/F for example), a thread may get pushed down and down, and onto the next page, and out of sight, even if the OP is still happy for / wanting crits.

I think of SYW like a restaurant -- if I'm walking past a bunch of restaurants and one is buzzing with lots of people inside, I'll probably choose to eat there rather than the restaurant down the street that's empty, even if the empty place has great food and is desperate for business.

That is, people tend to crit threads others are critting, which tend to be the more active, recent ones.

My advice? If you see something older you'd like to crit, send the OP a rep message or PM to ask if they're still looking for crits.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I wasn't searching the right words, but is there a generally accepted time on when SYW threads expire? I am asking because there are a lot less critique requests than I expected, and it seems like I'll need to go back to posts that are near a month old if not more to find things that aren't super long or that I feel I can genuinely add to.

It partially depends on the genre; some are more active than others.

Also, check your user Setting (top right of the AW Forum window)--> General Settings --> Thread Display Options

LucidCrux

Write like there's no tommorowe.
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I guess I can go the PM route on older stuff. I guess people do go a month or two between writing and manuscript editing so maybe a month isn't too long in those terms. I'll have to figure out my own PM cut off after some experience I suppose. Thanks.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Actually, you might also like to browse through the Beta Project subforum (password: testing). You can read what it's all about in the sticky at the top of the page. The submissions and responses were only posted very recently, so there's lots of fresh stuff to look at and crit if you're so inclined.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll also find that for some genres, SYW is used very little. That genre's general discussion and social threads are where people who read and write it have come to know one another, and they make their arrangements privately rather than posting publicly.

Maryn, who rarely posts in hers

Status
Not open for further replies.