just finished draft 1!

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Started 6 April 2016. Epic fantasy - total count: 126,131.

This is the first book I've written that is a stand alone with no loose ends. It feels good! It's also my first epic fantasy. I complained here before that I have been unable to write in this genre in the past, so I decided to buckle down and do it.

Now to edit. I have a bad habit of writing short so I need to see where I'm at and fill in some of the holes I'm sure I left. My shortfall is always leaving out descriptors of the setting. The person I consider my alpha-reader is itching to get his hands on it but I need to run through a few times.

I just wanted to celebrate before I begin editing and become totally demoralized.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! Allow me to pour you a beverage.

Maryn, in bartender mode

SillyLittleTwit

Assistant Deputy Backup
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

I'd actually advise leaving it for a month or so. That way you can look at it with fresh eyes.

OliverCrown

Puttin' daydreams to paper
Registered
Reaction score
Delta City, where nothing's normal but the music
Website
www.olivercrown.com
One of my favorite editing tricks is to read the thing out loud. Tends to expose a lot of sentence structure issues.

I recommend this. If you have a text-to-speech resource (smartphone, Kindle, etc.) I would recommend that even more. That way you don't read what you were thinking, you hear what's actually on the page.

Personally I use my Echo to read things aloud in these cases. Found some really cringe-worthy things I missed when reading it myself, but YMMV.

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
Started 6 April 2016. Epic fantasy - total count: 126,131.

This is the first book I've written that is a stand alone with no loose ends. It feels good! It's also my first epic fantasy.

It's hard to write a stand-alone book. At least for me. So I get you. I still haven't done it without a few loose ends. Rock on!

I just wanted to celebrate before I begin editing and become totally demoralized

Yeah. No kidding. Have a drink before the mob shows up.

:mob

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Holy carp, 126k in under three months?! You're a beast! Congratulations and very well done!

That is quite possibly the most amazing compliment I've ever received. :D BEAST!

I will work on the reading out loud thing. I started to, but it hurts. Yes please, cheese with the wine. I will look into something to read it for me.

I managed to read quite a bit during this past few months, but now that I am freed up I need to attack my stack again. I'm looking forward to a writing break. I know that's not always encouraged in these circles, but it works for me and I need it.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Not only 126k in three months, but you say you write short and you're about to up the word count. :)

I'm envious. I write long and it takes me a long time. I should change my name from WriteMinded to LongLong.

Remora

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Three months to a full 126K? That's amazing, really. Take a minute to celebrate- you deserve it :)

For editing, one thing that helped me a lot (unintentionally) was that I had to transfer my work from Word to Scrivener...having to reformat and reorder everything gave me a different perspective.

Inspie

Tea and cats and tea and cats...
Registered
Reaction score
Also here to echo the congratulations for writing 126k in under three months! That's amazing!

Good luck with your edits! :)

Debbie F

Debbie
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first draft completion! Welcome to the editing stage, where more hours are spent staring at the computer screen than actually writing! :welcome: