Contemporaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

America's Proust

Registered
Reaction score
Aloha! I haven't posted in a while and I missed you guys. I've been doing stuff: working, surfing, in bed with my wife, swimming, practicing my steel guitar and ukulele, etc.

Background info: I'm 20 years old, and I'm one step closer to being published with the second draft now complete. Now on to editing the thing once again.

Question: I thought to myself, "Who would qualify as my contemporaries?" "Contemporaries" meaning in the way Hemingway and Faulkner or Gore Vidal and Norman Mailer were "contemporaries."

(Please do not put yourself up as an answer.)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Aloha! I haven't posted in a while and I missed you guys. I've been doing stuff: working, surfing, in bed with my wife, swimming, practicing my steel guitar and ukulele, etc.

Background info: I'm 20 years old, and I'm one step closer to being published with the second draft now complete. Now on to editing the thing once again.

Question: I thought to myself, "Who would qualify as my contemporaries?" "Contemporaries" meaning in the way Hemingway and Faulkner or Gore Vidal and Norman Mailer were "contemporaries."

(Please do not put yourself up as an answer.)

You might want to reframe your question because the only reasonable or logical and most nearly specific answer to the question as it stands is: Every aspiring writer alive today who is about 20 years old and has completed their second draft.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say every 20 year old with a steel guitar or a ukelele. But every 20-year-old surfer would also work.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you mean who are your contemporary published authors, the pool is small at the moment because your contemporaries are out on their boards, working, getting married, and living the 20 year old life. More of them (and hopefully you) will be getting published and successful in the coming years. Try googling "best authors under 25" or something similar.

For me, I see my contemporaries as people slightly older than I because they were actively publishing stuff I related to when I was getting serious about writing. For me, these are Douglas Coupland, Dave Eggers, Neil Gaiman, Tom Perrotta, Jonathan Franzen and the like.

Last edited:

America's Proust

Registered
Reaction score
If you mean who are your contemporary published authors, the pool is small at the moment because your contemporaries are out on their boards, working, getting married, and living the 20 year old life. More of them (and hopefully you) will be getting published and successful in the coming years. Try googling "best authors under 25" or something similar.

For me, I see my contemporaries as people slightly older than I because they were actively publishing stuff I related to when I was getting serious about writing. For me, these are Douglas Coupland, Dave Eggers, Neil Gaiman, Tom Perrotta, Jonathan Franzen and the like.

OK. Mahalo plenty. You've answered my question to my satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.