How much research first?

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Speaking with my reader's hat on: this has nailed it.

I stopped worrying about "accuracy" once I realized this. HF readers want to learn about history through books (or period dramas, documentaries, etc), but they come for the story first. That's why so many HF authors revile Philippa Gregory, but readers eat her work up; we're really only trying to impress each other with our history knowledge, lol.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not writing a history book, I'm writing a novel. It really isn't about how much you know. You don't have to be an authority on the era. It's about what you don't get wrong. This is a very real phenomena, and it's how good novels are written, as opposed to good history books. If it's an era I don't know, I read two books on the time, and then start writing. Anything else I need to know can come larter.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
The research has actually 'created' the story for me more than once.

I can't add more than that without repeating what's been said.

But research can open up an unexpected avenue, a new perspective etc.

Yes, this! My initial research for my new WIP actually helped me form the plot, some subplots, and interesting side characters involving historic persons. And I had no idea that Vikings were known as Ostmen in Ireland at one point ... or simply 'Foreigners'.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
The question is, how much does the historical background matter to your story? Obviously, you will need to do a lot more research if your plot turns around shenanigans at the court of Charles II than if your characters are off in the countryside and political event are largely irrelevant to their lives. They aren't going to turn on the radio to find out the latest scandal, and if you're careful about choosing your locale, they can go through decades without caring what the court/government is doing.
The same is true for any period and any place. You can make the "real" history important or you can make it irrelevant. Just don't make things too anachronistic, like a Roman abolitionist.

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
I think there are two very broad main areas of research in this context:

The first is what could be called "hardware" - how people lived their lives, the social structure of the time, the law, the jobs they did, how they dressed, what they ate, the homes in which they lived, how they passed their leisure time etc. To use your own example, whether there were prams and, if so, whether your character could have afforded one. One should know enough and research enough to avoid anachronisms, even in small details. A great deal of such research, while time-consuming, is fairly readily available.

Perhaps too often, writers limit themselves to researching the hardware, but the second area is more difficult and, to my mind, equally important, if not more so. It concerns how people thought, spoke, behaved and interacted - the social mores and conventions of the period in question - call it social software. Since most stories centre on people, this second area is, I would suggest, the more important of the two to get right. Perhaps the best way to get a feel for and knowledge of such things is to read contemporaneous works of fiction. So, if your setting is early-Victorian England, read early Victorian novels set in their time and, if you can, try not to read for the plot and characterisation, but for what the books tell you of the way people thought, spoke and behaved at that time. The same applies to any period in which contemporaneous fiction was produced. Unfortunately, prose works in English really only get us as far back as the mid-1700s. Before then, one can glean a great deal from such sources as newspapers, pamphlets, diaries, letters and plays. I stress contemporaneous as historical novels are written by people who have faced the same problem that you now face; and they may have cut-corners, or simply, made mistakes.

A typical example I came across recently was in a historical novel set in the nineteenth century, in which, following a skirmish, an English officer, when asked the whereabouts of a man he was with, replies "He didn't make it."

Bad enough to have a young lady of good family in 1890 walk down the street in a hobble-skirt (a fashion fad only popular for a very short time between 1910 and 1913) - hardware. Perhaps even worse to have her engage in conversation with a young man to whom she has never been introduced - social software.

As for "How much research do I need?" My answer is: enough not anly to avoid anachronisms, but also to bring the period to life and have your characters act, behave and speak in a manner true to that period. Unfortunately, very often, this means a huge amount.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I did basic onset research--setting, weather, 18th Century religion, food, and a bit of fashion. Thereafter I researched during writing sessions and on down time, developing a website especially for my information and another of writing tips.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I stumble across questions I don't know the answer to

I knew someone who was a script person for Star Trek. Their guest script writers were told to focus on the action and not the technology. When it was necessary to use the technology, the guest writers would write this <<insert technobabble here to make the airlock explode>> and the script persons would make the right words or actions happen in agreement with canon.

When you hit a "how did the do this, then" issue, just put this in <<technobabble needed: did they have prams?>> and keep on writing.

Periodically treat yourself to a research binge on the technology of that time.

Rumelo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. I feel like I can't start writing until I understand the era well enough. I'm not procrastinating. I just don't want to rush things. I may just have to rely on a gut feeling to decide when I'm ready. In the meantime, I'm outlining the story and planning a quick roadtrip through the southwest to get a flavor of the area. As long as I'm being productive and working to advance my WIP, that's what matters.