Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Lillicat publishers

EncodedIntheViralGenome Subawthor's Avatar

Lillicat publishers

Has anyone had any experience working with Lillicat publishers? I've researched online and browsed through Absolute Write but haven't gathered enough evidence to establish a verdict. Or maybe I'm just a subpar investigator. Thanks for any feedback you might have!

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Link: Lillicat Publishers

Small, California-based publisher specializing in SF, although they also take fantasy, horror and mainstream (no erotica).

A couple red flags: the website is geared toward authors, not readers. No staff is listed on the website, so there's no way of knowing if anyone at Lillicat has any real publishing experience. LinkedIn shows the owner as Carrol Fix. Ms. Fix has only one previous job listed on LinkedIn (Computer Analyst for a health co-op); she lists School of Business at Pacific Lutheran University under Education (although she does not list a degree).

Lillicat's catalog is mostly anthologies edited by Ms. Fix, although they've also published a memoir written by Harold L. Fix. W.A. Fix is one of their anthology authors. (My guess is that Harold is W.A.'s father and Carrol is W.A.'s wife, so this appears to be a family venture.) Their covers are so-so. Their home page states:

Our payment to you for a novel will be a percentage of royalties only, with no advance payments. Short stories for anthologies receive a token payment and no royalties.
    As always, when a publisher pays based on a percentage, you should find out exactly how that percentage is calculated before signing any contract.

Their "terms and conditions" section is mostly about the website content, but contains this at the very bottom:

For published pieces we take Worldwide First Print and Electronic Publishing Rights. Bear in mind that most publishers will not publish pieces that have been published in print, eBook, or on the web, so for all intents and purposes after your work is published by us it can only be marketed as a reprint, which severely limits the number of markets that will accept it, and drastically reduces the pay rate it can receive. It is up to you, the author, to decide if publishing your work in print and/or eBook formats and/or on the web, giving up your First Publishing Right for no and/or a token payment, is really what you want to do.
    At least they're forthright about that.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 06-29-2016 at 06:15 PM.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

The fact that they state authors will be paid "a percentage of royalties" doesn't really make sense. Although they can be calculated in various ways, royalties, by definition, are the amount paid to the author.

The Blue Line, short story published in Oakwood 2017
    Read it free!

Princess of Pirates: How I Ran Away to Sea: A Memoir,
    represented by Olswanger Literary

Twitter

Instagram

EncodedIntheViralGenome Subawthor's Avatar
    Thank you both for the information. I did a fair amount of internet browsing and didn't come up with much, which could be good or bad.

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Well, I'd say not good so far. So far it sounds like asking the couple next door to publish my book for me. Im sure you can do better by checking other publishers in this forum. I'm curious now, where did the their name pop up for you to find when there's so little on the Internet?
    Last edited by HistorySleuth; 07-03-2016 at 05:10 PM.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

figuring it all out
    Yes, I'd shop around first.