The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Waldorf Publishing

Waldorf Publishing

http://waldorfpublishing.com/author/waldorfpublishing/

Some of their covers are so so. I found them on Netgalley. Any one have any experience with them?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Waldorf Publishing

Hi
    has anyone had any dealings with Waldorf Publishing? They are not listed on P&E and I am curious as to whether they are traditional or vanity publishers
    i appreciate your comments
    Aileen

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Link: Waldorf Publishing

And there's already a thread on this publisher here. A mod may want to merge the threads.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 10-01-2016 at 02:42 AM.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I'll merge this with the Waldorf thread in BR&BC. Hang on...

Their "about" page doesn't inspire much confidence, I'm afraid.

About Waldorf Publishing

How many publishing companies are started by professional race car drivers, after all?
    Barbara Terry decided after a 10 year career in the Automotive Industry as a Professional Auto Expert, Spokesperson, Off Road Racer, Columnist, Producer, Show Host and Author that starting a Publishing Company was only fitting!
    After the 2010 release of her book, “How Athletes Roll,” Barbara realized that the PR and Marketing know-how she’d picked up in her time as a TV personality could lend its self nicely to the world of book publishing, and it wasn’t long after that she started building Waldorf Publishing from the ground up.
    She named her publishing company after her Yellow Labrador…Waldorf!
    Publishing is a complex and counter-intuitive business. To do well at it you usually need a lot of experience, knowledge and understanding and I don't think that being a racing driver with a nice dog is enough. I might be wrong. But I wouldn't go near them unless I could prove that they had a solid track-record of great books, great promotions and great sales.

Their children's book covers are poorly done for the most part, leading me to believe the Authors either paid low or cajole an Illustrator to do them for free or the publisher just got the cheapest art possible. They speak far too much to the writer on their home page and they run a Pay for contest, the prize... getting published with them. I'm not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ctripp View Post
    Their children's book covers are poorly done for the most part, leading me to believe the Authors either paid low or cajole an Illustrator to do them for free or the publisher just got the cheapest art possible.
    Their authors have to provide their own cover art? Really? Then they are definitely to be avoided. That's not how good publishing works.

Their authors have to provide their own cover art? Really?
    That I don't know for a fact Old Hack. I believe they may only because the Illustration is not professionally done for the most part. I see a few that could pass for mass market style but the others look pretty bad

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctripp View Post
    Their children's book covers are poorly done for the most part, leading me to believe the Authors either paid low or cajole an Illustrator to do them for free or the publisher just got the cheapest art possible.
    Looking at the covers for the Mr. Waldorf travel books, I get the feeling the artist seriously loves copy-and-paste.

And the entry on China has me wondering if the editors know the correct use of articles. Or if anybody wondered about the questionable taste of the cover art.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 10-11-2016 at 04:17 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

I have since discovered that Waldorf Publishing are in fact a vanity publisher, guess I am scratching them off my list then.

Can anyone tell me definitively if Waldorf Publishing is a vanity publisher and if anyone has dealt with them was it a good or bad experience?

Waldorf Publishing

Has anyone worked with Waldorf Publishing out of Texas? Are they a vanity publisher in disguise?

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    The publisher's experience is in the auto industry. How does that make her an expert in publishing?

The phrases "author services" and "publishing procedures" make me wary. Their covers are beyond amateurish.

Barbara Terry seems good at self-promotion. She has an extensive imdb page.

This line in their contest info is...odd "Entrants retain full copyright, however, if chosen the winner, Waldorf Publishing will retain full copyrights upon the winner signing the publishing contract." That's after the $45 entry fee.

I don't know what they're up to but it doesn't look great. If you had alarm bells or waving flags, I think you're wise to steer clear.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology

Quote Originally Posted by AnnGehring View Post
    Can anyone tell me definitively if Waldorf Publishing is a vanity publisher and if anyone has dealt with them was it a good or bad experience?
    I've not seen anything which confirms it, but another member appears to have done so:

Quote Originally Posted by aileenlf View Post
    I have since discovered that Waldorf Publishing are in fact a vanity publisher, guess I am scratching them off my list then.
    If they're asking you for money at any point, for anything, or if they expect you to buy your own books to resell, then they are either a vanity publisher or so clueless you should avoid them.

And as I said earlier,

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Their "about" page doesn't inspire much confidence, I'm afraid.

Publishing is a complex and counter-intuitive business. To do well at it you usually need a lot of experience, knowledge and understanding and I don't think that being a racing driver with a nice dog is enough. I might be wrong. But I wouldn't go near them unless I could prove that they had a solid track-record of great books, great promotions and great sales.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    There's already an existing thread on this publisher. I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to merge this thread with that one.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.