Does Your Work Stick Better With Certain Magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
All of my work that has sold has sold to one magazine. I'm hoping that will change as my skill improves. But I recall reading somewhere that Asimov contributed a lot of his short stories to a particular magazine, and George Martin tried selling his work to an editor who never accepted it (even after multiple attempts with a variety of pieces).

Have you guys had a similar experience? What do you think made one venue more receptive to your work but not another (besides editor preferences or a crushing slush pile)?

bexxs

Registered
Reaction score
I've definitely had this experience. There's one magazine where no matter where I've always gotten at least a second read, and most times have gotten to the final round of consideration. There's another magazine where I've only ever gotten form letters. Part of it, I think, is that my taste is very close to the taste of the editors of the first mag. They have a particular tone of story they like and it matches with what I write. Also, they seem to not solicit very many pieces, while #2 solicits a large percentage of its pieces, so there's just more spaces to fill. The editors of #1 are also very active on Twitter, so I have a better idea of what they're looking for.

A lot of it has to do with the magazine's style too. There are some publications that don't seem to like to publish authors multiple times, while others draw regularly from the same writers. Fantasy & Science Fiction, for example, has several writers who have been published there a dozen times or more (I just saw on Twitter that a writer had made his THIRTIETH sale to them). That seems to be the way they do things. In general I think that if you publish in a place once, the editors become more receptive to your work because you've got a proven track record (unless, I guess, you're a jerk. Hopefully not ;)).

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I haven't had the thing where an editor really likes my work and accepts a lot of stuff. Where I have sold more than one thing to one place, the editor has changed between submissions, or it's been different departments. Having a close relationship with an editor is likely to mean you sell more stuff, so it's not a problem as such. But I do think you want to be careful that you're not writing entirely with one market in mind, as editors move on and markets close.

I wouldn't say it relates to positive rejections though. Some places that consistently send me positive rejections, and move my story on rounds, have never bought anything. Some form rejection places suddenly buy something out of the blue.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
All of my work that has sold has sold to one magazine. I'm hoping that will change as my skill improves. But I recall reading somewhere that Asimov contributed a lot of his short stories to a particular magazine, and George Martin tried selling his work to an editor who never accepted it (even after multiple attempts with a variety of pieces).

Have you guys had a similar experience? What do you think made one venue more receptive to your work but not another (besides editor preferences or a crushing slush pile)?

Editor preference is the only thing that makes your work sell well at one mag, but not at others. That's it. Period. A crushing slush pile just makes the process take longer, but does not change the outcome.

The question is how big the magazine is, and, I guess, whether you found this editor through luck, or through knowledge.

Asimov simply tried to sell to the largest magazine is SF at the time, and when Campbell rejected one of his stories, he sent it to the next magazine, and the next, and the next. That's the smart route, and wise writers still do this. Starting at the top means the best magazine that wants your story will get it. Starting at the bottom means the worst magazine that wants your story will get it.

But Asimov read all the SF magazines he submitted stories to, and writers should still practice this. What editors want, and how they want it, matters, so when you sell a story to a magazine you don't read regularly, you had some serious luck in finding an editor who wants what you write, the way you write it. Other editors may not be as thrilled with your stories, particularly f the sales you're making are to a small magazine.

I've broken into quite a few magazines by read a dozen, or three dozen, or five dozen issues of the mag, learning what the editor wanted, how he or she wanted it, what they had already published in the last year or three, and then giving the editor something like what he or she wanted, but that had something only I could give that editor.

Selling a story anywhere means you gave that editor something he wanted that was better in some way than what most of the other writers gave him during that submission period. You either have to get lucky, or you have to know what an editor wants, how that editor wants it, and then add something only you can give him.

This isn't as important at small magazines, but it's crucial at large ones, and a story that comes very close to making the cut at a large magazine will probably sell to one small magazine or another.

Anyway, you're giving the editor stories that match what he likes, which means he thinks his readers will like them, as well. It's really that simple.

You aren't giving editors what they want, in the way they want it, so your stories aren't selling to them.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Editor preference is the only thing that makes your work sell well at one mag, but not at others. That's it. Period. A crushing slush pile just makes the process take longer, but does not change the outcome.

The question is how big the magazine is, and, I guess, whether you found this editor through luck, or through knowledge.

Asimov simply tried to sell to the largest magazine is SF at the time, and when Campbell rejected one of his stories, he sent it to the next magazine, and the next, and the next. That's the smart route, and wise writers still do this. Starting at the top means the best magazine that wants your story will get it. Starting at the bottom means the worst magazine that wants your story will get it.

But Asimov read all the SF magazines he submitted stories to, and writers should still practice this. What editors want, and how they want it, matters, so when you sell a story to a magazine you don't read regularly, you had some serious luck in finding an editor who wants what you write, the way you write it. Other editors may not be as thrilled with your stories, particularly f the sales you're making are to a small magazine.

I've broken into quite a few magazines by read a dozen, or three dozen, or five dozen issues of the mag, learning what the editor wanted, how he or she wanted it, what they had already published in the last year or three, and then giving the editor something like what he or she wanted, but that had something only I could give that editor.

Selling a story anywhere means you gave that editor something he wanted that was better in some way than what most of the other writers gave him during that submission period. You either have to get lucky, or you have to know what an editor wants, how that editor wants it, and then add something only you can give him.

This isn't as important at small magazines, but it's crucial at large ones, and a story that comes very close to making the cut at a large magazine will probably sell to one small magazine or another.

Anyway, you're giving the editor stories that match what he likes, which means he thinks his readers will like them, as well. It's really that simple.

You aren't giving editors what they want, in the way they want it, so your stories aren't selling to them.

The markets I'm trying the hardest for right now are BCS and Clarkesworld. I read stories from them frequently, but I guess I just haven't read enough yet?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The markets I'm trying the hardest for right now are BCS and Clarkesworld. I read stories from them frequently, but I guess I just haven't read enough yet?

What happens after you read those stories is what matters. There's an old saying in publishing that editors "want something just like everything else. . .only different".

There's a lot of truth in this. Too many read many issues of a magazine, and then give the editor a story just like all the others he's published. This sometimes works, if the story is truly exceptional, and extremely well-written, but it doesn't work often. The reason to read all those stories is to give an editor a story that's constructed the way he likes, that's the length he likes, and that has the pace he likes, but that contains something no other writer has given him, or can give him. This is the all-important "only different" part of selling stories.

It's tough to explain, but there's only one thing you can give an editor that no other writer in the world can give him, and that's yourself. It's your life experience, it's your take on people, it's your take on the human condition, and it's your sense of both the dramatic and the humorous.

Many who try writing, and even many pro writers poo-poo "write what you know", but I've found that even writers who poo-poo it still do it. Read Ann Rice, and New Orleans, Catholicism, and voodoo all come alive, even though she's one of those who doesn't believe in write what you know. The same is true of Stephen King, and pretty much every other big name writer I've read.

Write what you know doesn't mean you can't write about life on other worlds, or vampires, or witches, or werewolves, or serial killers, or anything else. It means that whatever you write about, you have to understand that you're still writing about people, and about the human condition. It means you're still writing about your life experience, the lessons you've learned, the places you've been, particularly the place you grew up, and all the people you've known. It means you're writing about your take on what it all means, on what's important, on what's right and what's wrong, and on how people behave in any situation.

Ray Bradbury moved his hometown to Mars. Doing so made him famous. Place matters, setting matters, and done well enough, both sell stories. But people read for the characters. Long after plot is forgotten, good characters remain in the mind. If you give an editor a place readers want to visit, a setting that's detailed and realistic, and characters unlike the people they know, but who still ring true, selling stories gets pretty easy. But the way you do this is by getting YOURSELF into the stories.

It sounds easy, and it is, once you learn what it really means. Read those issues, and ask yourself what the editor hasn't published. I don't mean plot. In all of this, plot is the least important. If you can't come up with a decent plot, all is hopeless. What setting has the editor never used? He's certainly used big cities? But is there a city you know so well you can make it seem like something he's never used? Probably not. But if you grew up in a big city, I'd be willing to be the editor has never had a story that used your neighborhood, the small, one or two block area that you know well enough to describe every crack in the sidewalk, every stained brick, every dirty alley, and as important, the unique people and businesses located there. Bring that setting alive, pull those people out of your memory and put them on paper. Even if you then move this block to Mars, or to some distant galaxy, it will, if you write it well enough, sell that story.

Dramatic things happened there, too. Even if you didn't witness them, I'd be willing to bet you heard about them. Humorous things, as well. Some managed to leave that neighborhood. Others had to stay. Some had lousy home lives, and some had great home lives. Some were good, some were bad, some were happy, and a couple were mentally ill.

What happened to you there? What were your thoughts, your hopes, your dreams? Same for the people you knew there. Who were they? What did they look like? What jobs did they have? Which one would make a great engineer on a Starship? Which one would kill anyone who even looked at his wife, and how would he kill them?

How did it feel to walk down the street there? What did it sound like? What did it smell like?

It's your experience that sells stories, even if you show those experiences through a werewolf or a Leprechaun. It's setting. It's detailed, make the reader know it's real setting, even if you move that setting elsewhere. More than anything, it's characters the editor has never seen. They don't dress like all the other characters, they don't have the same professions as the other characters, but they're so real the editor catches himself asking them questions.

You have to be able to write reasonably well, you have to be able to tell an actual story, but it's getting yourself into those stories that separates you from all the other writers who submit stories.

Never let anyone tell you good, detailed, realistic description doesn't matter. There's a phrase used to describe people who don't understand the importance of description in both setting and character. They're called "unpublished writers".

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
It means that whatever you write about, you have to understand that you're still writing about people, and about the human condition. It means you're still writing about your life experience, the lessons you've learned, the places you've been, particularly the place you grew up, and all the people you've known. It means you're writing about your take on what it all means, on what's important, on what's right and what's wrong, and on how people behave in any situation.

Ray Bradbury moved his hometown to Mars. Doing so made him famous. Place matters, setting matters, and done well enough, both sell stories. But people read for the characters. Long after plot is forgotten, good characters remain in the mind. If you give an editor a place readers want to visit, a setting that's detailed and realistic, and characters unlike the people they know, but who still ring true, selling stories gets pretty easy. But the way you do this is by getting YOURSELF into the stories.

It sounds easy, and it is, once you learn what it really means. Read those issues, and ask yourself what the editor hasn't published. I don't mean plot. In all of this, plot is the least important. If you can't come up with a decent plot, all is hopeless. What setting has the editor never used? He's certainly used big cities? But is there a city you know so well you can make it seem like something he's never used? Probably not. But if you grew up in a big city, I'd be willing to be the editor has never had a story that used your neighborhood, the small, one or two block area that you know well enough to describe every crack in the sidewalk, every stained brick, every dirty alley, and as important, the unique people and businesses located there. Bring that setting alive, pull those people out of your memory and put them on paper. Even if you then move this block to Mars, or to some distant galaxy, it will, if you write it well enough, sell that story.

Dramatic things happened there, too. Even if you didn't witness them, I'd be willing to bet you heard about them. Humorous things, as well. Some managed to leave that neighborhood. Others had to stay. Some had lousy home lives, and some had great home lives. Some were good, some were bad, some were happy, and a couple were mentally ill.

What happened to you there? What were your thoughts, your hopes, your dreams? Same for the people you knew there. Who were they? What did they look like? What jobs did they have? Which one would make a great engineer on a Starship? Which one would kill anyone who even looked at his wife, and how would he kill them?

How did it feel to walk down the street there? What did it sound like? What did it smell like?

It's your experience that sells stories...

That's my kryptonite. I've never EVER been good at taking stuff from my life and transposing it onto a fictional landscape because...well, my life wasn't very interesting. Raised by loving parents, never got into trouble, went to church, blah blah blah. I had a chronic illness, but was just ten years of self-pity and wallowing. My imagination is all I've ever had, so I tend to get as far away from real life as possible.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's my kryptonite. I've never EVER been good at taking stuff from my life and transposing it onto a fictional landscape because...well, my life wasn't very interesting. Raised by loving parents, never got into trouble, went to church, blah blah blah. I had a chronic illness, but was just ten years of self-pity and wallowing. My imagination is all I've ever had, so I tend to get as far away from real life as possible.

Don't worry about a dull or ordinary life. Flannery O'Connor said, “Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days.”

It's true. It's all there. Everything you need. And now you have an adult perspective on everything. Did you know Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine came from something that happened when he was a small child? He wasn't even sure it was a real memory.

And you had a chronic illness, but that was just ten years of self-pity and wallowing?

Seriously. That's enough to let you write for a lifetime. That's enough to write one bestseller after another. But only if you don't shy away from it.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about a dull or ordinary life. Flannery O'Connor said, “Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days.”

It's true. It's all there. Everything you need. And now you have an adult perspective on everything. Did you know Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine came from something that happened when he was a small child? He wasn't even sure it was a real memory.

And you had a chronic illness, but that was just ten years of self-pity and wallowing?

Seriously. That's enough to let you write for a lifetime. That's enough to write one bestseller after another. But only if you don't shy away from it.

I guess I just don't know how to do that.

And yeah, the illness was a bad time. Arthritis. Got lazy. Got fat. Changed, but not in time to enjoy my teen years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.