Killjoys - Beware of Spoilers

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started binge watching Killjoys and I love it. I saw part of one ep last year when it aired but didn't stick around to watch the whole thing. The premise was (and is) interesting (interstellar bounty hunters). While I would've like a longer season, I do like the fact that the short season (only 10 eps) allows for higher production values, imo. It's definitely a show I'll watch more than once (yay DVD's) but right now I'm just watching it for the overall plot. The details can wait for second (multiple) viewings.

The second season starts July 1st.

(mods: if there is a similar thread, please feel free to combine them.)

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
The first episode of the new season is tomorrow. Can't wait to see how they resolve the cliffhanger from last season's finale.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoyed the episode on Friday. They had an interesting way of setting up a broader situation through D'Avin's visions while they were 'processing' him. I wonder if the reason why it went the way it did has anything to do with what Dr. Jaeger did to him prior to the first season. That and how that process is related to Level 6 - is it in reaction to Level 6 to create something similar or a way to fight those who are Level 6? It sounds like people are interested in and/or worried about Level 6 Killjoys.

And Khlyn is now more of a piece in the jigsaw puzzle that is Dutch than a target for her wrath or a father-figure for her to run away from.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of spoilers..... Read at your own risk...

The new antagonist (Company-wise) is sooo obnoxious. :lol: The actor really played the role well. I think in all the reviews I've read so far, there seems to be a lot of hate for the character. But it's good to have Pree back in his bar, the Royale. The 'new' owner's encounters with the Killjoys and Pree provided some of the most comedic moments in the episode, which is nice. Not for the character, though. :lol: I love the fact they're fleshing out Pree's background and he's not the lovable, laid-back bartender he appeared to be in season 1.

But the mirror bit in the beginning was very creepy. Lots of questions there. Did it really happen or was it only in Dutch's mind? If it really happened, what was it?
There are sooooo many questions involving who and what Dutch is and how much Khlyen knows/is holding back? Is he her father or just a father figure? Why did he save/mentor her?

What's with the memories/visions D'avin had while in Level 6's/Red 17's hands? Alvis stated that the Scarback order hadn't been on Arkyn for 200 years. Khlyen himself stated the information/images were very old in the last episode. Can't wait to see what happened to Red 17 as Turin (so glad he's back) told the Killjoys Khlyen's people had it leveled (pun intended).

Also loved the fact that the Killjoys have to 'work' with Turin, off the books so to speak. He knows something's going on. He knew it back in season 1 and thought Dutch was a part of it since she was on some sort of watchlist for recruitment. And he would have seen things, being in charge of the RAC. Now that he knows that she's not 'working' with them (Red 17/Level 6, that is), he has people who are just as interested in finding out more as he is.

Another thing, who are the Black Root? Is that something related to the vision D'avin had regarding the fight between the Scarbacks and the woman with Dutch's face and the people ~she~ was with? It's interesting because the Scarback religion is about the "Tree(s)" which seems to be nature based in some aspects. I thought it had something to do with the terraforming that had been done in the Quad in the past. It's been established that something went wrong on Arkyn in the past and that it was a "dead moon". The implication was that the terraforming didn't take or went bad.

And why did D'avin's body reject the green goo/Level 6 conditioning? Does that have something to do with what Dr. Jaeger did to him prior to the first season? He and Johnny are not from the Quad from what I've read about them but from a different section of the area of the system where the show takes place. Does that have anything to do with it, the fact he's not from the Quad? And who was asking questions about Red 17 in the episode with the ship the Killjoys tried to salvage? Was that the Company? Don't think it was the RAC or the Killjoys might have recognized more on the ship. Although, given D'avin's experience with Dr. Jaeger, it seems like it probably was the Company, especially if Level 6 is more involved with (or has infiltrated) the RAC.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
They really managed to up the status quo for season 2! Enough set-up for a 24 episode season, yet it won't be.

So Arkyn isn't just the terraforming-gone-wrong we were led to believe. Given that Red 17 was in a crater, maybe it was more like an early attempt at mining the quad but it went wrong and the company nuked it? Or maybe it was something like Serenity's Miranda except probably not with mind control drugs, knowing the company's lack of subtlety. Whatever it is, it seems to be at the centrer of this season's main mystery, along with its connection to Dutch.

The Red 17 related experiment the crew ran into last season was, I think, an army project, and I seem to recall the army and the company are two different things? Not quite sure right now. Didn't I just watch that weeks ago? Anyway, whoever it was seems both aware and afraid of Red 17 and, in extension, Level 6. (And btw, how awesome is it that there's suddenly an even more secret level above that?) I guess D'avin was immune either due to his supersoldier cocktail or the nanobodies he got injected with during the salvage episode. Or did they remove those at the end of it?

BTW, I can't believe there wasn't a Killjoys thread here yet. At least none I could find.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I think they got rid of the nanobodies at the end of that episode or at least tried. Maybe they didn't get all of them? The guy left on the ship (the one 'working' with the computer) was military but I have the sense that it was a Company experiment. Dr. Jaeger (the one who did the remote control experiment on D'Avin pre-series) was Company. The army/military is likely separate from the Company but the Company probably does experiments on their behalf. It wouldn't surprise me that the Company is doing experimentation like that since they seem to be almost governmental in nature where the Quad's concerned.

It doesn't surprise me that the military and the Company (particularly the Company) was aware of Red 17, given their status, money, and 'power' in the Quad. Level 6 was an urban legend, at least among the Killjoys so who's to say that the Company wouldn't have heard of Red 17. Delle Sayeh (from Qresh/one of the 9 families) was aware of Level 6 since she used them (Khlyen) to help her with her coup against some of the other Families. So who's to say how much information was out there on either one? Turin seemed to be aware of them. But he was only one person and, while he had/has access to information and hearsay, he probably wasn't in a position to act on them. I'm sure he couldn't be sure who was on whose side. But once Dutch and her team proved they weren't on Level 6's side, despite Level 6's interest in Dutch, Turin was smart to propose (order?) an uneasy alliance. They were just going to look into it themselves anyway.

I agree - I was surprised there was no thread for Killjoys yet either. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else here watched it.

Last edited:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Can't wait for tonight's episode. I'm hoping we learn more about the visions D'Avin had on Arkyn as well as more Scarback history.

As for the Red 17 facility being in the crater, Arkyn was just a moon, originally. So it might have just been a natural feature that the L6's took over. It's smart to keep things inconspicuous, given their secretive nature. And given D'Avin's visions and Alvis' comment about Scarbacks not being on Arkyn for over 200 years, I'm wondering if they took advantage of the stories about the terraforming going bad. Still, the terraforming must have took well enough for there to be breathable air, even if they filter it via underground facilities.

Then again, the reflections in the 'water'/liquid in the crater makes me curious.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
As for the Red 17 facility being in the crater, Arkyn was just a moon, originally. So it might have just been a natural feature that the L6's took over.

That's what i thought when I first saw it, and it's pretty likely, too. Then again, it's the Company. They're well capable of nuking a moon to stop an uprising.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hopefully we'll get some answers (although only a few) tonight. I guess that's one benefit to having short seasons. lol

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Nope, no answers. (Welll, one, but the question about where the green goo comes from wasn't really on the top of my list.) Fun episode, though. It's always nice to see everybody be competent, even though Pawter's opportunity for being good at what she does seemed a bit too convenient, from a writer's perspective. Still loved what she did with it.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved what Pawter did. She definitely made the most of her opportunities when presented with them although I'm curious as to who was the person she encountered (or more rightly who encountered her) at the end.

But you're right - almost no answers. Are the moss-bugs really where the green goo comes from, though? Not sure. The questions are sure piling up. Loved the world-building on the Scarbacks. Soooo many questions.

The "twelve went to Arkyn to fight the devil" sounds a lot like the 7 Samurai-eqse or other similar Japanese movies. But who put out the warrant on finding the Scarback priest in the mine in the first place?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching this since it debuted. Initially I was more intrigued by Dark Matter but that one did nothing to me and Killjoys just pulled me back week after week, not so much with its plot but with the quality of the writing. There are great lines every episode, the world-building is vivid and detailed but delivered at break-neck pace so as not to bog down the episode, the amount of detail and care put into Lucy, Pree, Pawter, and Alvys as secondary characters.

Didn't particularly love this week's episode, as it felt like Stargate in how typical it was (I mean, the rescue mission goes sideways in a secret cave thing--it wasn't so much poorly executed as it just felt kind of uninspired). Still, this show's built up a lot of cred with me and I can weather a couple less zig-zaggy episodes in favour of the ones that move at the kind of pace last season did. Whereas Dark Matter came in with the cred brought by ex-Stargate producers and squandered it on amnesia openings and stilted dialogue within ten minutes (I gather it gets better, but I didn't get that far).

Anyway, yeah, I've started to really like this show and hope it continues for awhile.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I kinda liked this past episode since it continues to add to this season's worldbuilding, particularly the Scarback religion. I can see why you feel the way you do though.

On the other hand, I felt that John was being left behind by the mythologizing of Dutch and D'Avin. Dutch is Khlyen's "chosen one" and she's tied in a lot of ways to Level 6, Red 17, and Arkyn. D'Avin is sort of being set up as her opposite. He's not susceptible to the Level 6 conditioning and now the mossipedes' reaction to him. He resisted the conditioning from Dr. Jaeger to forget her experiments in the military.

Granted, John seems to be the "everyman"/brainy character but the other two are being set up as "superhuman". There are some hints that there are things on the horizon for his character. But I'm just annoyed that he's being eclipsed by the other two and their mysteries. As John said in the first season, D"Avin comes in and just start D'avining all over whatever good John has in his life. So I'm feeling angry on his behalf.

Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Dark Matter does get better - I like some of the things they're doing this season, most of all not shoehorning in a romance between two characters whose actors have absolutely no chemistry to work from. They also upped the world-building, so there's good there. But it's still little more than a show that rides on the back of Killjoys which just keeps messing with my brain in the funnest ways. Even last week, although that was kind of a slow one.

The only Dark Matter producer I recognize is Jay Firestone who was on Michelle Lovretta's previous show, Lost Girl. (Another favorite and one of the reasons I even checked out Killjoys.) So there's some shared DNA (not to mention Zoie Palmer).

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading an article that mentioned the PTB on Killjoys were surprised that all the main secondary characters, all the characters really, were so well received. They were figuring that some wouldn't be received well and were ready to phase them out if they weren't. They can always bring in new characters as people they meet along the way (such as Clara) or one of their established contacts or fellow Killjoys. I love how they're building them up more this season.

I was kinda hoping that Pawter would remain in Jelco's dome for most of the season of her own free will. I figured that she realized that she was in a good place to be their eyes and ears and, as such, feed them information. Now though, I'm interested in finding out who the cloaked figure is.

I'm also glad they got the romance between Dutch and D'Avin over and done with pretty early. I'm glad they didn't stretch that out over the course of several seasons with the whole "will-they/won't they" routine that's regularly done. On the other hand, the PTB seem to be trying to see if the whole Alvis/Dutch romance will work out. The actors have a good chemistry between them but I prefer their little flirtations. At least at the moment. But I do enjoy the fact that Johnny and Dutch have a comfortable sibling-esque relationship going.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoyed this episode, although like last week's it was slower paced than the norm for the show. I think they're putting a lot of energy into setting up the larger world-building beyond the team and the basic setup of the quad this season. I think they're getting ready for a big second half of the season. On one hand, it is slower paced or maybe limited in scale is the better description in terms of plot. On the other hand, it does raise a lot of questions.

1. How much does Delle Seyeh know about what Khlyn's involved? Sounds like a lot more than the Killjoys. That's not too surprising, given her rank/position as head of one of the 9 Families, and Dutch's refusal to have anything to do with Khlyn for the past 6-7 years. But I thought it was interesting that he sent that microwave burst to her at her secret facility.

2. Why create the seed bank ala school for the gifted? The concept of a knowledge seed bank is interesting. It sounds like Delle Seyeh and Khlyen are prepping for a time when a lot of people, particularly skilled/knowledgeable people, will probably be dead due to a large scale war. I do like the fact that Delle Seyeh is using Westerly kids, though. On one hand, I'm sure that Qreshi parents would put up a big stink if they couldn't get a hold of their kids while Westerly kids are considered expendable. On the other hand, Westerly parents would want to give their kids the best chance they can to get them off Westerly, no matter how sketchy the information.

3. So Khlyn and Fancy are heading off to the Jacobis homeworld. Who are the brothers Jacobi that allows D'Avin to resist the Level 6 conditioning and the green goo? Is it genetic? Meaning is Johnny also immune? Although this episode does confirm that Fancy is Level 6 loyal to Khlyn.

4. Who and what is the Black Root? How does that fit in with the "Tree" based theology of the Scarbacks and the Quad? The Scarbacks are the only religion that has been shown in Killjoys. But even they have a saying that "Twelve went to Arkyn to fight the Devil". Is the Black Root "the devil" referred to in this saying? Or is it the Lady and the Black Root people loyal to her?

I really enjoyed the fact that this episode focused more on D'Avin and Johnny. I love the fact that Johnny is still giving D"Avin grief about stabbing him in season 1. But watching D'Avin relate to the younger brother was adorable. And Johnny was the one who talked the older brother down, especially since they both were very techy people.

Dutch did get her time. I always enjoy watching Dutch and Delle Seyeh together, especially since Delle Seyeh now has answers that Dutch didn't realize she had. Yes, Khlyn put a lot of time and effort into her training but now Dutch realizes that he's playing a much larger game than just making her life "miserable".

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least two things were resolved in this last episode:

1. Dr. Jaeger's experiment on D'Avin is the reason why he appears to be immune to the Level 6 process/conditioning. Love how that gets tied into things again. Then again, I think most people watching the show might have had an inkling that was the case.

2. The family issues seems to be resolved and everyone is coming to terms with their past. I hope this means everyone can go forward.

I loved D'Avin's interaction with Fancy while he was in Khlyen's body. Fancy knew pretty much right away something was wrong once D'Avin mentally switched places with Khlyen. On the other hand, it was kinda sweet to see Dutch telling Khlyen that she no longer feared/hated him. And now that they've come to that understanding, I'm wondering if he will be more forthcoming with information. I understand that he can't just fill her in on everything since she might tip the fragile balance he is trying to maintain. He's right, she would just barge into things, guns blazing, and ruin more than she realized. But it seems like he's beginning to not treat her like a child anymore.

I liked the fact that Johnny lied to Dutch and seems to have gotten away with it. He does care and he's starting to act on it. I felt that he was starting to drift away from the team since least episode 3 (Shaft). I also liked the fact that Dutch seems to be jealous of any women the Jacobi brothers show an interest in. Not sure why she doesn't like Pawter (she didn't like Pawter since the first season), but she now seems to be jealous of Sabine, Pree's new bartender, because D'Avin is showing an interest in the other woman. It's not like Dutch wants to have a harem but more like she doesn't want them to be in relationships outside the team. On the other hand, it seems like she's ok with having a relationship with Alvis.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I was a bit disappointed that they spent a whole sub plot on Khlyen's Trip to Papa Jacobi only to find out what had been the likeliest explanation anyway. The mind swap made up for some of it, though. Rob Stewart's performance as D'Avin was perfect. Luke Macfarlane isn't quite as versatile as an actor but his Khlyen wasn't bad either, especially during the fight scene.

Interested to see where Johnny's arc will lead. I loved his line claiming what he wants to do is "to give a shit", which he can't as a killjoy. Then again, I want him on that team as much as Dutch does because they have such great chemistry.

Another reveal that confirmed what could have been expected (I htink we've covered it here, too): That wasn't Dutch in D'Avin's memory on Arkyn. I'm sure this will tie into why Khlyen chose her as his favorite would-be assassin.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Another reveal that confirmed what could have been expected (I htink we've covered it here, too): That wasn't Dutch in D'Avin's memory on Arkyn. I'm sure this will tie into why Khlyen chose her as his favorite would-be assassin.

I'm wondering if she's either a descendant or clone of the girl in D'Avin's memory. On the other hand, I wonder how this ties into the "Lady" Khlyen's dealing with through the Black Root.

Speaking of the Black Root, if they work for him, why is he circumventing them? Is he trying to keep ~them~ or the Killjoys safe by keeping the Killoys separate from the Black Root. Khlyen said that he wanted to send a Level 6 Killjoy who was loyal to ~him~ back to protect Dutch. He may have tried with Fancy but D'Avin didn't trust Fancy, either before or after the Level 6 programming.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Loved this episode, although I didn't really get a chance to pay attention to it as closely as I would've liked. I think that since we're in the second half of the season, we're going to start getting a lot more answers now. Of course, we're still getting a number of questions as well. Here's hoping there's either a season 3 or, at worst, everything gets tied up at the end. (I"m hoping for a season 3.)

Loved the scene between Dutch and Romwell where we finally get some answers about how Dutch became part of the harem. That and Khlyen isn't her father. (Although I'm a little pout-y about that reveal.) The information Romwell revealed about ~his~ past was interesting. Throws a whole new light on things. Who is this enemy? Are they still in the Quad? Or are they the ones Khlyen is trying to prepare to fight against? The use of nanites in Romwell's torture/interrogation ties back to the season 1 episode Glitch.

Also loved the reveal about the Tree from Alvis and how it ties into the Scarback faith. The tie-in between the image in Alvis' book and Sabine at the end was very clever. Although that leads into the question - does what happened to hear have anything to do with the peaches she ate? I think she mentioned the peaches had become extinct. Of course, what happened to her has probably caused D'Avin to swear of sex for the foreseeable future....

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Yeah, it sounds like they're tying up a few threads to move in to a finale (four episodes to go, after all). So the green goos is connected to some outside threat? (Seemed not just outside but actually alien in the flashbacks which ould be a bit of a disappointment because I kind of liked the idea of a self-contained SF civilization.) Since Level 6 is also connected to the goo, the question is if they're using the goo to prepare themselves for an invasion (it could be a nifty early warning system) or if they're part of it. In the former case, they'd be on the same side as the army who are also apparently preparing for the advancing threat but less aware what it is. In the latter, they seem to only be aware of the Red 17 part of the threat.

Nice catch about the nanobots. I totally didn't make that connection. So how convenoiently arbitrary is it that of the two technologies that were used torturing Romwell, one ended up in the hands of Level 6 and one with the army?

I never thought Khlyen was Dutch's father. I know there was that line by Delle Seyah that alluded to a common past ("maybe daddy liked me best"), but I think it's not that close a connection.

As for Sabine, I read that as 'she's level 6 and he reportedly doesn't mix well with level 6', but it could also mean that he's just generally contagious now. Intersting bit about the peaches, though: To me, they looked more like apples. Could have sworn they were green.

Also, I love that they got Lucy's voice actress to play the bot taken over by Lucy. Well played, show!

Last edited:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
According to some of the reviews I read after I posted, it looks like Romwell got the nanites after escaping the torture/interrogation from an illegal hospital but it's still interesting that they were still involved.

I thought the 'peaches' looked like plums but I think they were also trying to make them look 'alien'. Still thought it was interesting that Sabine recognized them almost immediately and then made the comment of "I thought they had gone extinct" or something to that effect. How would she be able to do that unless she had seen something about them before?

As for Sabine being Level 6, I thought it had something to do with the peaches, rather than her already being Level 6. Didn't even think it had anything to do with D'Avin, other than traumatizing the hell out of him. But having a Level 6 agent planted in Pree's bar isn't surprising, especially since Khlyen is so interested in knowing more about D'Avin. Khlyen knows that the Killjoys frequent the place. And I think they would be interested in having an agent in Old Town anyway if a war is coming on.

Random thought: what if the wall around Old Town (and the other planned walls) were actually meant as a defense to keep things out as well as a way to keep the people inside in? Given that Khlyen is in contact with Delle Seyah who, as one of the 9 families, has a say in what the Company does, she might have put this into motion. The Westerly rebellion would've given a good cover to set everything up without alerting the 'natives'.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Random thought: what if the wall around Old Town (and the other planned walls) were actually meant as a defense to keep things out as well as a way to keep the people inside in? Given that Khlyen is in contact with Delle Seyah who, as one of the 9 families, has a say in what the Company does, she might have put this into motion. The Westerly rebellion would've given a good cover to set everything up without alerting the 'natives'.

I like where you're going with this, especially from a narrative perspective (everybody would have to question gtheir allegiances). Although I doubt that any of the 9 families would put the workers' saftey first. (Then again, the 9's residences are already pretty well-preseved and the gas Pawter's mother worked on could have been supposed to kill everything outside of those home security perimieters.)

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I like where you're going with this, especially from a narrative perspective (everybody would have to question gtheir allegiances). Although I doubt that any of the 9 families would put the workers' saftey first. (Then again, the 9's residences are already pretty well-preseved and the gas Pawter's mother worked on could have been supposed to kill everything outside of those home security perimieters.)

Yeah, well, it was just a random thought. Westerly is the Quad's industrial planet. It's the one with the mines and other resources. I think that would be more of a reason to put up the walls than the workers, although the workers are useful. Setting up the walls now beats setting them up while scrambling during a war. Squeezing the workers into submission is a side benefit.

And Delle Seyah was creating a knowledge seed bank with her super-secret school, using Westerly kids. I'm sure she would've played up the Westerly rebellion as a reason to put up the walls in the first place. That would've gotten support from the other families.

They might also be beta testing the wall technology on Westerly now before using it on Qresh (and Leith as the agrarian planet) later on.