Women Are Writing the Best Crime Novels (The Atlantic)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Women Are Writing the Best Crime Novels

They don’t seem to believe in heroes as much as their male counterparts, which in some ways makes their storytelling a better fit for the times.

Once upon a time, in the smoky, violent neverland of crime fiction, there were seductive creatures we called femmes fatales, hard women who lured sad men to their doom. Now there are girls. It started, of course, with Gillian Flynn, whose 2012 suburban thriller, Gone Girl, told a cruel tale of marriage and murder and sold a zillion copies. The most striking thing about Flynn’s cool, clever mystery is the childishness of its main characters, Nick and Amy Dunne, the sheer pettiness of the deadly games they play with each other. And the prize for winning is something like a gold star from the teacher: Gone Girl takes place in a world in which grown-up girls—and boys—will kill for no better reason than self-validation. This is not a world Raymond Chandler would have recognized. On the streets his people walked, motives were more basic—money, sex—and means were more direct. “When in doubt,” he once told his genre brethren, “have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.” When today’s crime writers are in doubt, they have a woman come through the door with a passive-aggressive zinger on her lips.

For those of us who choose to entertain ourselves, from time to time, with made-up stories of murder, mayhem, and deceit, this is actually a welcome development, because the men with guns don’t do their job nearly as well as they used to. They’re old, they’re getting tired of walking through those doors, and the heroes they used to threaten—lone-wolf private eyes like Chandler’s Philip Marlowe—have practically disappeared from the genre. Like the cowboy, the private eye once embodied male fantasies of rugged individualism. As individualism itself became a less sustainable concept, the popular imagination began to relocate its mythic figures to places farther and farther away from the real-world settings of the old West and the modern city (to, say, the Marvel universe).

I miss those tough guys, with their cigarettes and their hats, but I’ve learned to do without them. I’ve read crime fiction all my life, and like most mystery lovers, I don’t really have a type. As a young reader, I favored Sherlock Holmes stories and intricate puzzles of the Agatha Christie and John Dickson Carr sort, then moved on to the grittier, bloodier private-eye stuff of Dashiell Hammett and Chandler and Ross Macdonald. In my baffled adulthood, I have found myself drawn, more and more, to the kind of dark, fatalistic psychological thriller that noir writers such as Cornell Woolrich, David Goodis, and especially Patricia Highsmith brought into the world in the 1940s and ’50s—tales of people in impossible situations making catastrophically poor choices.

I do still go back every now and then to the eccentric sleuths inspecting corpses in locked rooms, or to the hard-boiled dicks walking down their mean streets, but only as an exercise in nostalgia. These days, just about all the exciting work in the murder-for-entertainment business descends not from Arthur Conan Doyle or Hammett but from Highsmith, who has had many more daughters than sons. A number of years ago—well before Gone Girl—I realized that most of the new crime fiction I was enjoying had been written by women. The guys had been all but run off the field by a bunch of very crafty girls, coming at them from everywhere: America (Megan Abbott, Alison Gaylin, Laura Lippman), England (Alex Marwood, Paula Hawkins, Sophie Hannah), Scotland (Val McDermid, Denise Mina), Ireland (Tana French), Norway (Karin Fossum), Japan (Natsuo Kirino).

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/women-are-writing-the-best-crime-novels/485576/

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, this article has been blowing up my social media feeds. I think the meat of it is obnoxious, but I like the recommended authors on the list. The title, for me, is the problem, as it's neither true nor helpful. There's no such thing as "the best crime fiction". There are few things that are objectively "the best" in any genre, and the rest is certainly down to preference. (Tana French, Laura Lippman, and Megan Abbott are tremendous, in my opinion.)

A pen above ovaries is just as likely to produce schlock as the pen scribbling away up top of a set of testicles.

I think there is some really great crime fiction out there these days and I think it's wonderful that a lot of it is written by women. I don't find articles like this celebratory in a good tone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I stopped reading as soon as I read: They don’t seem to believe in heroes as much as their male counterparts, which in some ways makes their storytelling a better fit for the times.

That's absolute nonsense, and only a rag like Atlantic would says such a stupid thing. It's the say ignorance that's come from such rages for a hundred years. Don't believe in heroes? Only a useless, jaded, pseudo-literary, pseudo-intellectual liberal rag that's pretending to be oh so worldly and sophisticated doesn't believe in heroes, whether it's a thousand years ago, today, or a thousand years in the future.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't believe in heroes? Only a useless, jaded, pseudo-literary, pseudo-intellectual liberal rag that's pretending to be oh so worldly and sophisticated doesn't believe in heroes, whether it's a thousand years ago, today, or a thousand years in the future.

You'll always be my hero, James :kiss:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
A pen above ovaries is just as likely to produce schlock as the pen scribbling away up top of a set of testicles.

I think there is some really great crime fiction out there these days and I think it's wonderful that a lot of it is written by women. I don't find articles like this celebratory in a good tone.

I'm late to this party but I agree completely with this.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read this article when it first popped up and my takeaway was that women don't necessarily write better, or worse, novels, but they do tend to write different ones. And just like men, some women write books I don't like and others write ones love. So anyone's opinion on women writers, especially in The Atlantic which keeps losing my interest, is probably not very useful unless I have read the same books. In which case I really didn't need someone else's opinion since I'd have my own.

Kind of like politics. :)

Jeff

Last edited:

goldenage

Registered
Reaction score
My immediate reaction is disdain. Then I think that my favourite crime novelists are all women (I say this as a man). I don't know what to think.