What does the word "them" refer to here?

Mikaelra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LuminousLiving.com
Grammar is not my specialty!

Here is the passage in question. It's from a query letter and Sarah is the mc:

Delivered by aliens, all kids receive a special box, a gizmo with secret techniques that protect you from madness. Sarah's a natural at using them.

What does the last word "them" refer to? Is it the boxes or the secret techniques? Which one is she a natural at using? Either one makes sense as far as the story goes. But do I have to specify? I don't want the query to sound repetitive, that is why I used "them." But now I'm not sure if it's right.

All help appreciated!
Michael

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Of the three things mentioned that the kids will receive (box gizmo, and secret techniques), only the techniques are plural, so "them" refers to the techniques.

You could rewrite the sentence to make it less muddied.

And you should start with "Delivered by aliens," because the way it is, that phrase is referring to the kids, while I know it is supposed to refer to the box. One way to change that would be to make aliens the subject of the sentence:

Aliens will deliver to all kids a special box . . .

Last edited:

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Guttersquid is spot-on that there's more in that sentence warranting closer examination. Every word needs to serve a purpose; accordingly, you should be suspicious of generic adjectives like "special." You could eliminate that word altogether and not change the meaning of the sentence one whit: you've already told us the box came from aliens and contains secret techniques, which makes it pretty special without the baggage of that extra word. Or you could substitute another adjective that gives the reader additional information, perhaps about the box's size or color. For instance, one might assume that a box delivered by aliens would be silvery and shiny, so saying that aliens delivered a wooden box would provide an unexpected detail.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If there's potential for misunderstanding, I think it's best to rewrite the sentence. This can cause headaches too (like weighing the problem of a repeated word versus stretching to come up with a synonym that doesn't quite fit), but you don't want the reader to be scratching their head over ambiguity.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Grammar is not my specialty!

Here is the passage in question. It's from a query letter and Sarah is the mc:

Delivered by aliens, all kids receive a special box, a gizmo with secret techniques that protect you from madness. Sarah's a natural at using them.

The larger problem is with the first sentence. Its construction makes it sound as if the children are delivered by aliens - not the boxes.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being a wiz at using the gizmos or the special techniques is a moot distinction since they go hand in hand.

And I also agree the aliens delivered the kids not the boxes as written.

Last edited:

allthefeels

Registered
Reaction score
If there's potential for misunderstanding, I think it's best to rewrite the sentence. This can cause headaches too (like weighing the problem of a repeated word versus stretching to come up with a synonym that doesn't quite fit), but you don't want the reader to be scratching their head over ambiguity.

I agree with this. If you as the writer aren't sure, you should probably revise so it's clear. If you make the reader work too hard, they may choose not to bother at all.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing how someone asks what a single word means, and then the critiques, meaning criticisms, begin.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
First of all, I did NOT immediately understand "them" to refer to the techniques. While that is the only expressly plural noun in the previous sentence, box and gizmo are implied to be plural because every child gets one. I had to stop and think about it, and that's not good when you're trying to make a query letter flow.

Secondly, the first thing that occurred to me, well before I got to "them" was "Children are delivered by aliens?"

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Amazing how someone asks what a single word means, and then the critiques, meaning criticisms, begin.

This happens here so commonly that I've long considered it unremarkable, and I presume any regulars expect it when posting a question. Had it been me asking about one word in a sentence, I would have much appreciated people pointing out unrelated problems that I hadn't noticed.

It's possible you're conflating critiques and criticisms contrary to the intent of the posts' authors. I can speak to no one else's motives, but I read every post in this thread as trying to help Mikaelra improve his/her writing, not to tear it down.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score

Carefully considering what immediately precedes and immediately follows words, phrases, etc. can be helpful. The noun that immediately precedes a pronoun is usually the word that the pronoun is standing in for. As guttersquid pointed out, "them" is a plural pronoun, and "techniques" is the plural noun that immediately proceeds the pronoun. So, "techniques" is what "them" is standing in for. But look--the reader had to pass a few other nouns after "techniques" to get to the pronoun. That can cause confusion.

Looking at what immediately precedes and what immediately follows can be helpful in your first sentence, too. A few people here mentioned that it seemed the aliens delivered the kids. See what happened? "All kids" is immediately proceeded by "Delivered by aliens," so it seems the kids were delivered by aliens. (Made me wonder if the aliens are obstetricians or maybe midwives. Just playin'. I'm weird.) ;)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think most critiques on here are given in a spirit of helpfulness. And I have always found it useful when someone else has pointed out a problem I hadn't spotted.