Is linking to your work in the SYW thread acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Landers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is even the right place to ask this, but I'm assuming it is. I was previously a member on a different (terrible) writing forum, and was frustrated with the fact that when I would cut and paste my work, the format would NEVER look the way it was supposed to on the board. What I mean is that the paragraphs wouldn't be indented, the italics wouldn't be there, etc. I obviously know that there are the controls to do all this on the board, but I don't think anyone actually does their writing ON the board. I would guess that most people, like myself, write in Word or Pages and, when the time comes, cut and paste it here. I'm wondering if inserting a link to your ACTUAL work on Google Drive is allowed? No personal blog or ads or anything like that, just a clean link to a PDF of the work you want to share.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Prolly better to just follow the herd on this one. Otherwise you're going to have to be explaining to people why you're driving them to a different site - and for various reasons, you'll risk losing squirrels that way.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You rarely are putting more than a couple of pages into SYW. Cut and paste from word, and then adjust the formatting here. I've done it many times -- it's not hard.

Whether it is permitted or not, I for one would be much less likely to crit someone if I had to open up a pdf -- much less go back and forth from it to here in order to crit it

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whether it is permitted or not, I for one would be much less likely to crit someone if I had to open up a pdf -- much less go back and forth from it to here in order to crit it

You see? :hi:

ETA: That emoter isn't waving at you, Cass - he's pointing out your words of wisdom. Cheeky bugger.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Nope; linking for SYW crits is not acceptable.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Check your editor settings here on the board, which could affect how text pastes into your about-to-be-posted message. Select Settings (top of the page) then scroll down in the left column to General Settings and then scroll down the page (quite some way) to Miscellaneous Options, and look at Message Editor Interface. I have the Standard Editor selected, and pasting from MS Word or Google Docs goes pretty smoothly. All I have to do is manually insert blank lines between paragraphs for easy reading, since tabs aren't available in vBulletin bbcode.

Another alternative is to paste text from your doc into Notepad or similar basic text editor, which drops all the fancy invisible codes, then copy/paste from Notepad into your forum post.

There are so many sticky threads and FAQs that it's easy to miss one more, the "Reformatting text before posting" section in the info announcement visible from all SYW sub-forums lists these suggestions.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.