Brexit

Cramp

Pain in the writing wrist
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, some examples of EU regulations that have harmed the population of the UK would be good! My vacuum cleaner is bloody amazing, and it's from a UK company.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You make children vacuum? There are child labor laws, you know. Poor little things, forced to use low HP motors!

No, no, you want to use low-horsepower vacuums when you're vacuuming crumbs off your children. High-suction models could be harmful!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, some examples of EU regulations that have harmed the population of the UK would be good! My vacuum cleaner is bloody amazing, and it's from a UK company.

The fisheries policy

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The fisheries policy

Please forgive me as an uninformed American, but I have no idea what that is.

The only thing I know about UK fisheries is when the UK lost the Cod Wars with Iceland and those were forty to sixty years ago.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
... And the only reason I know about the Cod Wars is that elsewhere after I asked whether the EU had had anything to do with the relative lack of big ugly European wars the last seventy or so years, someone mentioned them as proof that it was not so.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
The so-called Cod Wars were in the seventies, and were about Iceland's territorial waters vs. Britain's (correct me if I am wrong). Today's EU-imposed fisheries regulations are to prevent over fishing of stocks.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
And gave open access to European vessels to areas that had been British . Now there are an awful lot of ex-fisherman and fisheries workers, and a major employment sector is greatly reduced while French and Spanish boats take the fish. It also results in thousands of tonnes of fish (bycatch) being dumped at sea because the boat owners don't have a quota for those fish.

Last edited:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
And gave open access to European vessels to areas that had been British . Now there are an awful lot of ex-fisherman and fisheries workers, and a major employment sector is greatly reduced while French and Spanish boats take the fish. It also results in thousands of tonnes of fish (bycatch) being dumped at sea because the boat owners don't have a quota for those fish.

And gave open access to British vessels to areas that had not been British before! For example, Spanish territorial waters. There are also many Spanish and French (and other) ex-fishermen and fisheries workers who no longer have employment in the fishery industry and complain equally bitterly.

But I quite agree about the by-catches being dumped. Though that varies from country to country, depending on individual national markets (what fish is popular in supermarkets). Some countries (and I won't name names) are very picky with their catches, and discard huge amounts of fish or fish parts, while other countries waste nothing, and process all the 'unwanted' bits into fish meal. The former vessels are easily spotted by the amount of seagulls following them, whereas the latter tend to be seagull free.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Norwegians to UK: Don't be like us. Stay in the EU.

Norway not only has to accept the E.U.’s rules for commerce, it also has to embrace its core principles. Among them is the free movement of people, a critical sticking point for Brexit advocates who chafe at record immigration levels to the United Kingdom.

Eager to halt a possible contagion of defections, E.U. leaders have signaled that they will not be in a generous mood. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker noted pointedly last month that “deserters will not be welcomed back with open arms.”

It seems like leaving the EU would put the UK in the position of following all of the same rules as before, with none of the representation it currently has

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

And gave open access to British vessels to areas that had not been British before! For example, Spanish territorial waters. There are also many Spanish and French (and other) ex-fishermen and fisheries workers who no longer have employment in the fishery industry and complain equally bitterly.

But I quite agree about the by-catches being dumped. Though that varies from country to country, depending on individual national markets (what fish is popular in supermarkets). Some countries (and I won't name names) are very picky with their catches, and discard huge amounts of fish or fish parts, while other countries waste nothing, and process all the 'unwanted' bits into fish meal. The former vessels are easily spotted by the amount of seagulls following them, whereas the latter tend to be seagull free.

I wondered about that.

Fisherfolk are out of work everywhere. The US coasts are loaded with devastated ex-fishing communities because we humans have done such an efficient job of shlurping up all the fish out of the sea that either we have to pause now or there eventually will be none for anyone.

Last edited:

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in fisheries, or the relevant EU regulations, but perhaps a large segment of fisherfolk out of a job is due to the upscaling of the fleet? You can't really compare the floating factories that roam the high seas to the smaller vessels of the past. Just as we see a shrinking segment of the workforce being employed in agriculture due to mechanisation and such, doesn't the same go for the fisheries?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score

It seems like leaving the EU would put the UK in the position of following all of the same rules as before, with none of the representation it currently has

Its the threats that make me most inclined to leave. Not the immigrants or the straight bananas.

Eager to halt a possible contagion of defections, E.U. leaders have signaled that they will not be in a generous mood. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker noted pointedly last month that “deserters will not be welcomed back with open arms.”

Of course. The defectors take the power with them, no members, no European Commission President. Stay in the EU or else.

I hear talk of an EU army now. What might that be for then?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Federalization with with minimal representation. What's not to love.

Personally, I'd vote to leave before someone says, "Now, youse can't leave."

It seems like leaving the EU would put the UK in the position of following all of the same rules as before, with none of the representation it currently has.

Its the threats that make me most inclined to leave. Not the immigrants or the straight bananas.

Of course. The defectors take the power with them, no members, no European Commission President. Stay in the EU or else.

I hear talk of an EU army now. What might that be for then?
It looks like it might be too late already, Diana.

phoenixwings89

Registered
Reaction score
I'm voting to remain.

I know there's a lot of speculation from the vote remain, groups, that if we were out of the EU then our rights will be gone with them.

I don't know whether I agree with this.

What I do know is that I don't trust the guy.

It wasn't so long ago that he was banging his drum about leaving the EU. And now he wants us to remain.

That in itself smells fishy to me.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
During the aforementioned Brexit Flotilla delight, Bob Geldof proved his worth once again.

Addressing Mr Farage over a PA system as his boat, the Sarpedon, pulled alongside the boat carrying the UKIP leader, Mr Geldof called Mr Farage a "fraud"."Here are the facts about fishing. One, Britain makes more money than any other country in Europe from fishing. Two, Britain has the second largest quota for fish in Europe after Denmark. Three, Britain has the third largest landings. Four, you are no fisherman's friend.

"You were on the European Parliament Fishing Committee and you attended one out of 43 meetings."

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
This piece by parliamentary sketchwriter Michael Deacon (who was on Farage's boat) is very entertaining.

One day, years from now, when I’m sitting in my armchair beside the fire, my son will come up to me and ask, “Daddy… what did you do in the EU referendum?”

And I’ll put down my newspaper, remove the pipe from my mouth, and I’ll say, “Well, son. I went on a boozed-up boat trip down the Thames with Nigel Farage while men from Ukip shouted ‘Get a job!’ at Bob Geldof as he flicked V-signs at them from a pleasure cruiser and a load of Scottish fishermen squirted water at rival campaigners in a dinghy and Members of Parliament gazed in disbelief from the Commons terrace and 100 people on a bridge sang Rule Britannia.”

They say it’s difficult to engage the young in politics. But I reckon that story should help spark their interest.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
For all that a lot of British people like to poke fun at American electoral politics, we now live in a country where the phrase "Brexit flotilla" is being used straight-faced.