• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Has anybody tried to write while depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Best case scenario: they change your life for the better.
Worst case scenario: they don't help and you're no worse off than you are right now.

I disagree. Best case scenario: they change your life for the better. And you only use antidepressants temporarily.
Worst case scenario: you become dependent on a chemical for your well-being. This can last decades or the rest of your life.

Rather than antidepressants, try therapy. A good therapist can work wonders and turn your life around. He/she can work on the causes of your depression, and find non-chemical solutions for your problems.

I would happily be dependent on chemicals for the rest of my life if it meant I was mentally healthy. Sounds like a dream come true, tbh.

But I still disagree with Tazlima. Taking anti-depressants can leave you worse off than you were before. It's not without risks. Some side effects are no big deal for me, but others are awful and exacerbate my depression. Side effects won't necessarily disappear as soon as you stop taking the drug, or it may take a while to taper off the drug. Going off medication can have withdrawal effects, etc. Also, I have found that trying new medications is draining, and each additional failure to respond to a medication leaves me more hopeless than before. (In fact, I regularly wish I'd never tried to treat my depression. I think I am worse off because of it. But my depression is particularly treatment resistant, and it is unlikely you will have my experience.) Still, I think it is worth talking to your doctor about meds, as they do work for many people.

Being able to see a psychiatrist is a nice thought, but where I live, not likely. Or if you do get to see one, it's for a one-time 20-min consult, and he/she will send suggestions back to your family doctor. And you may be waiting 6 months or more to see a psychiatrist, and you'll first need a referral from a family doctor anyway. I do have a psychiatrist, and I consider myself very lucky. So you'll have to see what the options are where you live.

It may be a good idea to try therapy as well, whether or not you also try an anti-depressant. Therapy in conjunction with an anti-depressant is quite effective for some people. Again, I am not one of those people and it usually makes me worse, but it works for many.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Depressed writing is nearly impossible in my experience.

Likewise

This is so me, right now.

I am a highly functional depressive. I can get out of bed early, go to work, maintain a cheerful facade, keep myself clean

I can completely relate to this.

But art/creativity/writing is so healing -- I cannot stress this enough. So I make every effort to continue to have some of it in my life. I've had to lower my expectations. I've turned to drawing, because it's less mentally taxing for me, and it's easy to pick up and put down. When I do write, I set the tweeniest little goals for myself. When I'm well, 1000 words is easy enough; right now I've allowed myself to feel that 2 sentences is a good session.

I've been there. Right now, in fact, I'm congratulating myself for one sentence. But my sessions are still very rare.

To the OP - As above, for the most part, my mental state really interferes with most forms of productivity for me. Just want to say good luck. I'm wishing for the best for you and me and all the others who came to this thread with the same problem.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice. My writer's block is directly linked to my depression, meaning my depression is the reason for my writer's block. When I'm not depressed, I can write like crazy. I talked to my doctor yesterday and she told me that an antidepressant is not something you stop taking as soon as you feel better, that I am going to need it 365 days a year. I haven't been to therapy in almost a month. I will call my psychiatrist's office to see when my next appointment with my therapist is going to be. I miss my therapist. :) I'm used to seeing her every two weeks. I just never had talked to my psychiatrist about an antidepressant before because I was afraid it wouldn't work, but like I said, it's impossible to know whether something's going to work for me if I don't try it. I've been reading your posts and taking them into consideration. LJD I'm cheering for you and hoping you feel better one day. Depression sucks.

Sincerely
Maggie.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I only write while depressed, because it's been my chronic state of being for almost a decade now. Yes, pills may help, but I can't help you as to what pill (there's like a million different ones) or dosage. Me, I'm treated for bipolar depression with a cocktail of lithium, lamitrogine, and carbomazepine. I feel I could use a boost though, but no idea what and how much.
Be careful what you have prescribed, if anything. Some meds are said to cause or increase suicidal urges.

On the bright side of depression - for me anyway - I get inspired to get into the deeper, darker, poetic/romantic/angsty shit. Which is my favourite. Embrace the darkness and milk it, if there's no light switch.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is so painfully relevant to me right now. Writing used to be the thing that buoyed me above my depression. Now, it's just one more thing to feel down about. I'm not writing much these days, which makes me sad and irritable. When I do write, I'm not happy with what's on the page, which makes me doubt myself, so I take a break. It's a vicious cycle, as others have noted. The worst part is that it's no longer just my craft that's "contaminated" but my idea pool as well. As soon as a premise pops up, my depression rears its head to shoot it down.

Hang in there, Maggie, and best of luck getting out from under. :Hug2:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna vent because this topic hits home. The last couple of months have been one punch to the face after another. Book didn't sell, left me agent, lost my job after 10 years, lost health insurance, rent increase, rejections galore on my current MS, the list goes on and on... I feel like I've been bulldozed by a train, a train so long that I can't reasonably see where the tail-end ends. I'm not sad, per se. I'd describe it as dysphoric.

It's a common misconception that you have to be weepy or sad or not wanting to get out of bed to be depressed. However, my current bout of depression (the most debilitating I've had in 7 years) has caused me to lose absolutely all interest in everything. I have tons of ideas and know exactly how my mss should go, but I have no desire or patience to write. No interest in reading. I don't care about anything. I no longer enjoy anything and get bored very easily. Nothing excites me. I've lost a massive amount of weight. The only time I've caught myself laughing is at silly cartoons. I avoid programs with that are highly dramatic and emotional in nature...

I don't know what to do with myself. I function normally. I just feel like an empty shell of my former self going on day to day, feeling nothing. Just anger. I thought I beat my anger, but slowly it's been creeping back in. Irritation. Loss of patience. Rage. Every little speed bump feels like a full blown punch in the gut. Anti depression meds are not an option as I no longer have health insurance. And hope. Well, hope is that furthest emotion from reach.

My love is writing. And to not write, to not get that excited feeling in the pit of my stomach, pains me so much.

Hang in there everyone. I hope you all get some relief soon.

Maggie Brooke

Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side of depression - for me anyway - I get inspired to get into the deeper, darker, poetic/romantic/angsty shit. Which is my favourite. Embrace the darkness and milk it, if there's no light switch.

This is my perspective too. Some of my best thoughts and words come when I am in darkness. It's one of the few silver linings.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score

It's the opposite for me. Depression makes me desperate to write light comedy.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score

Lionel Ritchie wrote that 'party, fiesta' song during one of the darkest times of his life.

("All Night Long" - yeah, I think that's what it's called)

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just starting on antidepressants. Still trying to figure out the right drug/dosage (current one is kind of helping, honestly hard to tell) but if nothing else it feels really good to be doing something.

I will say, though, that writing has been a refuge. I've been able to commit to writing so much more now that my depression has really gotten bad. I have all the control I want in my novel, and there are no deadlines, no obligations, just what I can handle. If I get one paragraph down, I count it as a win. That isn't the reality for a lot of writers, especially if you support yourself through writing, but it's where I am right now. I don't write much, but what I do write helps a lot.

Btw, thanks for starting this thread, maggie. It's nice to see what others' experiences have been. It's a crappy illness, but none of us is alone.

Last edited:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Daniela - I'm lurching/stumbling my way out of a period like this. Hang in there, too, ok?

Thanks Layla. You too. I hope to overcome this really soon.

I'm just starting on antidepressants. Still trying to figure out the right drug/dosage (current one is kind of helping, honestly hard to tell) but if nothing else it feels really good to be doing something.

I will say, though, that writing has been a refuge. I've been able to commit to writing so much more now that my depression has really gotten bad. I have all the control I want in my novel, and there are no deadlines, no obligations, just what I can handle. If I get one paragraph down, I count it as a win. That isn't the reality for a lot of writers, especially if you support yourself through writing, but it's where I am right now. I don't write much, but what I do write helps a lot.

Btw, thanks for starting this thread, maggie. It's nice to see what others' experiences have been. It's a crappy illness, but none of us is alone.

I'm trying to do this too. Every little bit is a win. I got about 350 on one WIP and another 300 on another. Wasn't feeling it, but it's a little further along than I was.

its-something.jpg

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I only write while depressed, because it's been my chronic state of being for almost a decade now. Yes, pills may help, but I can't help you as to what pill (there's like a million different ones) or dosage. Me, I'm treated for bipolar depression with a cocktail of lithium, lamitrogine, and carbomazepine. I feel I could use a boost though, but no idea what and how much.
Be careful what you have prescribed, if anything. Some meds are said to cause or increase suicidal urges.

Update: I have an appointment with my psychiatrist this Tuesday. I'm going to come back and tell you guys how it went since you've been such huge support. :) She noticed she hadn't booked appointments for me in over a month, called me yesterday after hours (meaning after her office closed) and we made an appointment. That's going to help a lot. I got prescribed Prozac the last time I saw my psychiatrist. I forgot to mention that. Right now I'm at the lowest dosage, 10 mg, but it doesn't work immediately. I was told it may take a few weeks to work. It's the first antidepressant I've tried, so we'll see how it works for me. I envy you, Ravioli. I wish I could write anything while depressed. That's why I want to feel better so desperately, because I want to be able to write.

This thread is so painfully relevant to me right now. Writing used to be the thing that buoyed me above my depression. Now, it's just one more thing to feel down about. I'm not writing much these days, which makes me sad and irritable. When I do write, I'm not happy with what's on the page, which makes me doubt myself, so I take a break. It's a vicious cycle, as others have noted. The worst part is that it's no longer just my craft that's "contaminated" but my idea pool as well. As soon as a premise pops up, my depression rears its head to shoot it down.

Hang in there, Maggie, and best of luck getting out from under. :Hug2:

Knowing I can't write even if my life depended on it right now, because I'm afraid what I'm going to write is gonna suck, that makes me so much sadder. I listen to my favorite music and it helps me feel a little better, but only while I'm listening to it. I noticed that while I'm listening to music, I get ideas for my series, but not for the books I'm currently working on, which one is set in 1979 and the other one is set in 1981, but for works that are much farther in the future, beyond 2030, when the children of my main characters are grandparents already. I'm going to hang in there, though. I can't thank you enough for your support. You guys are amazing.

I'm gonna vent because this topic hits home. The last couple of months have been one punch to the face after another. Book didn't sell, left me agent, lost my job after 10 years, lost health insurance, rent increase, rejections galore on my current MS, the list goes on and on... I feel like I've been bulldozed by a train, a train so long that I can't reasonably see where the tail-end ends. I'm not sad, per se. I'd describe it as dysphoric.

It's a common misconception that you have to be weepy or sad or not wanting to get out of bed to be depressed. However, my current bout of depression (the most debilitating I've had in 7 years) has caused me to lose absolutely all interest in everything. I have tons of ideas and know exactly how my mss should go, but I have no desire or patience to write. No interest in reading. I don't care about anything. I no longer enjoy anything and get bored very easily. Nothing excites me. I've lost a massive amount of weight. The only time I've caught myself laughing is at silly cartoons. I avoid programs with that are highly dramatic and emotional in nature...

I don't know what to do with myself. I function normally. I just feel like an empty shell of my former self going on day to day, feeling nothing. Just anger. I thought I beat my anger, but slowly it's been creeping back in. Irritation. Loss of patience. Rage. Every little speed bump feels like a full blown punch in the gut. Anti depression meds are not an option as I no longer have health insurance. And hope. Well, hope is that furthest emotion from reach.

My love is writing. And to not write, to not get that excited feeling in the pit of my stomach, pains me so much.

Hang in there everyone. I hope you all get some relief soon.

I haven't had any rejections, but that's because I haven't submitted anything. I decided not to submit until I start editing my works and until I get the help of a beta. All my manuscripts are in first draft status right now, all five of them. I have yet to edit and write a second draft. And a third. And a fourth. I have no idea how many attempts it's going to take for these books to be publishable, but then again, I feel like I'm just beginning, so yes, it's going to take a few yearsbefore I submit even my first book, the one in the series that's set in the year 2017, one of only two books I've finished in the series, so I won't have to worry about rejections for a while. I wanna make sure my books are the best they could possibly be before submitting. And oh, my God, that describes me perfectly right now, what you're experiencing. No, I don't sit here and cry, and no, I'm not ultra-sensitive. I have thick skin and I understand shit happens, so I don't get devastated, but like I said, nothing entertains me, I'm not interested in my favorite activities, and all I wanna do is sleep. My emotional status could be described simply as "Whatever".

This is my perspective too. Some of my best thoughts and words come when I am in darkness. It's one of the few silver linings.

You have no idea how much I envy you. The ability to write or to do any kind of art, while feeling like this, is something special.

That's interesting.

Lionel Ritchie wrote that 'party, fiesta' song during one of the darkest times of his life.

("All Night Long" - yeah, I think that's what it's called)

I didn't know that about Lionel Richie.

Daniela - I'm lurching/stumbling my way out of a period like this. Hang in there, too, ok?

Me, too. I'm trying to crawl out of this hole because this episode started only two weeks ago, and it's not until 5 months after the episode starts that I start to feel better (cold turkey, without medication) and I start writing and enjoying things again, little by little. Then, six to seven months in, it's like I get out of it from one day to the next and I start feeling normal again.

That was the purpose in starting the thread, to find out if it was possible to write during a bout of depression and if it was possible for anyone to write while feeling like this. I found out I'm not the only one who's in a dark hole right now, and that brought me a slim sense of hope. The support I've gotten here has been incredible.

Thanks Layla. You too. I hope to overcome this really soon.

I'm trying to do this too. Every little bit is a win. I got about 350 on one WIP and another 300 on another. Wasn't feeling it, but it's a little further along than I was.

its-something.jpg

You're right. A little bit is better than nothing.

I'm glad I joined AW because here I find a lot of great advice about writing and just about life in general. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will keep reading this thread every now and again for more advice. You guys are the best.

-maggie.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Maggie19 - So glad your psych reached out! That's fantastic. Prozac I think is probably the antidepressant with least side effects. At least from the ones I've tried in the past. I have a bottle that I stopped taking last year and I'm tempted to start it again, but I'm not too keen on self medicating, especially when I won't have a refill in the future and you can't just drop those things.

As for the writing, take your time! Don't rush into querying until it's perfect. Oh, and definitely not when you're depressed. Take it from me, some of those speed bumps I've been hitting that feel like a punch to the gut sometimes come from receiving rejections. So I wouldn't recommend doing it while your mood is low.

On the bright side, I've prepped my resume (finally) and will be applying this weekend to a couple of county jobs. I've also finally gotten engrossed by a good book (that feeling has eluded me for a long time), and I got 3 full request for my manuscript, back to back.

I'm still struggling to start things. Took me forever just to push myself to start writing my resume. I have to write a synopsis and I must once again work my self up to doing it. It's mentally exhausting, but nobody is going to goad me, so I might as well take the first step. Depression is like a Dementor--sucks the life out of you. But you just got to think of your happiest thought, make it your goal, and banish those those suckers back to Azkaban. :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
A few day ago I wrote a bit of a scene with this character I want to write a book about. I have lots of elements but a lack of clarity about the story. A week or two before that I wrote the first two sentences of an old story that I see a new way to rewrite it. Well, I wrote 2 sentences. I'm stuck on the third. Oh - and sometime also recently I wrote a bit with the wife of the MC I mentioned above. Yesterday I sat and just re-read what I had written about my MC a few days ago. That was about the most I could do. I wanted to write, but it was hard just to re-read. I got a lot of ideas about what worked vs everything else...

I want to have a mind that works so that I can accomplish goals I set for myself.

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
Maggie,

Struggling with depression is more common than people recognize, partly because so many of us don't want to admit/talk about it... and that just deepens the problem. Coming here and starting this discussion is a beautiful step in the right direction for all of us.

I won't try to diagnose your problem or suggest the best course of treatment for you (that's between you and your therapist/physician) but I'll tell you what I do. Take it for what it's worth...

I've found that my "mood" dictates what I write, but I choose to always write something. I know what you're experiencing: the fear of churning out crap when writing when I don't want to be writing. However, I make a point to write anyways. It's usually not the work that I want to be working on at the moment. But Writers write. Writing is writing; and writing is practice toward honing your skill. When I'm fighting a bout of depression, I still sit down and write. Usually, I'm just writing out what I feel, describing in detail the spiral of despair and frustration. For me, it helps me to look at what hurts, put it on "paper" and read it. Sometimes when reading what I put down, I see that the problems aren't as bad as I imagine them; sometimes it just helps me to own the depressive feelings.

Stay strong and write, always. You may not make progress on the works that you feel you need to be working on, but honing your craft is something you'll work on for the rest of your life.

under the moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
staceyebryan.wordpress.com
It's definitely a challenge to accomplish just about anything, I find, when the mind isn't situated correctly. Whatever *correct* may be for any given individual. Sometimes the thought of having to wash the car becomes a mountain I can't climb. So writing will take its punishment, too, either through lack of attention or moodily scribbled paragraphs. Sometimes I erase that work later, but sometimes it actually stays, so it's not always a total loss. But if I didn't make the attempt while I was down, I wouldn't have the choice of either editing, throwing away, or keeping...so at least there's that.

vanilla

hmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what to add to what other people have said because I truly believe in everybody being different and nobody being forced to confront things when they're not ready. I only know what has helped me. Like any illness, certain medications and treatments will work for one person and not work for someone else.

I was clinically diagnosed 13 years ago. After dealing with it all these years and trying literally everything from meds and therapy, I picked up a book by Debbie Ford and did some deep-sea soul diving. My depression manifested as an irritability with everything that wasn't fantasy; anything that is an escape from my life, dreaming/sleeping, daydreaming, reading, writing, watching tv, was really easy to do, but then I'd get super blisteringly angry at the drop of a hat while working my grocery store cashiering job. Stupid stuff, like stuff nobody should be getting mad about, chafed against my existence. Haven't been on medication in a while and it didn't really do anything about the anger while I was on it either. But Ford's book got me asking why I was so angry and tired when everything in my life should at the very least leave me content(seriously; decent money, good work environment, close to family, churning out amazing work while writing; what problem?). Shadow Work is not for the faint of heart but it has helped me tremendously in feeling in control of my experiences and helping me recognize any time I don't feel in control, all I need to do is listen to myself, and it gave me the tools to be able to hear what I have to say. I don't really know if I'm depressed anymore because 1. haven't been to a doc in about 2 years and 2. because I no longer see it as a state of being. What were originally symptoms of depression, I now attribute to a subconscious message from myself. Looking for the source has helped me not only feel closer to myself but more in control of my life.

Last edited:

balancethewind

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to note that no matter what you’re feeling, you can try to use it to understand how to write that into your characters. Perhaps your current novel’s protagonist isn’t depressed, but you could imagine a situation in which they might feel the way you do. You can use that fiction writing to explore your own emotions, if you don’t have someone / a therapist to listen, or just want to try a different coping method. Every experience we have, we can try to take at a different angle – maybe using depression intentionally in your writing could be a motivational tool to get yourself writing, and if you’re able to do that, you may gain some positive feeling from that accomplishment.

But at the same time, getting stuck in revising / writing a scene or character who is by his nature already depressed, or grieving, or angry – or feeling any emotion – can really change my own mood when I’m done working. It’s been something I’ve had to be careful of, since my protagonist loses family and friends as part of the inciting action in my novel, and is ripe with negative emotion.

One thing though that, after scanning the posts, I don’t think I saw much of was our society’s obsession with the destination over the journey. Maybe it’s cliché to some, but to me it has been a really important notion to keep in perspective. (My novel has been in the works since 2010…) But I think too often we let ourselves get caught up in this idea of ‘I have to get 2000 words written today!’ and if/when we don’t reach that, we feel we let ourselves down. One thing I’ve tried (small fix) is to shift into a time allotment instead: “I’m going to work for one hour.” By doing that I try to shift the focus from what I got ‘done’ to what I am ‘doing’.

We writers write because we love it. But for me, when I abused that and made constant demands and focused upon the end result rather than the fact that I was writing, I lost that joy. I write fantasy to reflect and deal with society, and in part to escape it; but recently writing became the very representation of what I at first used writing to avoid: a focus on accomplishment, on having a product, a published novel that I could judge my self-worth upon and that society could judge my self-worth upon. I obsessed over the latest draft of my novel, glued to the comp screen any minute I wasn’t at work. For a few weeks I was logging anywhere between five and even twelve – yes twelve – hours of writing in a day.

And you know what happened? I finished my draft, sure. But it only took one beta reader before I realized how I still had huge issues in it, that I had not allowed myself to be aware of because I just wanted it done, and accomplished. But in that obsession I lost a lot of human and life interaction, barely left the apartment, and also stressed some of the most important relationships I had, put myself in negative space for hours and days on end, which became weeks, things I’m still trying to remedy now. And I felt so negatively toward writing, which like many posters here have said, is a key coping/escape for me on a daily basis, that I didn’t do any writing for months.

We writers have to watch out for each other and ourselves; it can be a dangerous thing to get stuck in one’s own head for too long.

So now that I’ve written enough words that no one will look twice at this post (can you tell I write epic fantasy?) I guess in summary I just wanted to say in my experience we should be careful focusing too much on the accomplishment (the finished/published novel), and just value something for its own sake (the act of writing) again. There’s a lot of potential for disappointment and negativity in the former; and a great chance of calm contentedness in the latter. Sure, our country gets a lot of stuff done, but how happy are we for it?

Thank you for starting this thread, and I hope you continue to find ways to cope with your depression. I guess I had a lot more to say than I thought.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I can't thank you guys enough. I've been taking Prozac for a few days now, but my therapist says it takes a month or two to fully work, especially against my disinterest in my favorite things, so we'll see how it goes. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

-maggie

SallyB

Dancing Through Life
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been formally diagnosed with depression, but I can always feel it rolling in when I don't write. I become lethargic, I cry a lot, and I go inside myself. I've been writing steadily for two years now, so I've been fine. If I ever get writers block though, I will be royally screwed.

Jslaterwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have much to add to the conversation. It's wonderful how empathetic and generous everyone has been with their responses. I guess I would just say this, let go of your guilt. For me, the worst part of depression is the constant, gentle thud of guilt banging against my skull. It's rarely in the forefront of my brain, but if I'm quiet enough, I can always hear this constant loop of "You're too lazy. You're too scared. You're too average. You're a hack." rolling through my head. Eventually, that surface level guilt turns into some kind of awful meta-guilt where I feel guilty for feeling guilty about being paralyzed by depression. I'll spend weeks stuck in that spiral. Too depressed to work-->guilty for not working-->guilt worsens depression-->guilty for wasting my very finite life feeling depressed and guilty-->too depressed to work...

Maybe you don't suffer the same symptoms. I hope you don't. But if you do, know you're not the first and you're not alone. And don't take that to mean you're not unique either. We may share symptoms, but you have things to offer the world that no one else has.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I've been taking my antidepressant for almost a month now, but I still haven't done any writing. I've been told it might be two months on the antidepressant before I get back to normal, so I'll keep on waiting and see how it goes.

Once again, thank you so much for everything.
-maggie

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have much to add to the conversation. It's wonderful how empathetic and generous everyone has been with their responses. I guess I would just say this, let go of your guilt. For me, the worst part of depression is the constant, gentle thud of guilt banging against my skull. It's rarely in the forefront of my brain, but if I'm quiet enough, I can always hear this constant loop of "You're too lazy. You're too scared. You're too average. You're a hack." rolling through my head. Eventually, that surface level guilt turns into some kind of awful meta-guilt where I feel guilty for feeling guilty about being paralyzed by depression. I'll spend weeks stuck in that spiral. Too depressed to work-->guilty for not working-->guilt worsens depression-->guilty for wasting my very finite life feeling depressed and guilty-->too depressed to work...

Maybe you don't suffer the same symptoms. I hope you don't. But if you do, know you're not the first and you're not alone. And don't take that to mean you're not unique either. We may share symptoms, but you have things to offer the world that no one else has.

This. This is it. This is what it's been like for me the last several months! I feel guilty I'm not writing making me more depressed. I haven't worked on a story in 7 months, stuck in a vicious circle of guilt and depression because of it. I don't wish it on you, but I'm so relieved I'm not alone!

I don't know how to get out of it, but I did ease up on the guilt. Not completely, but I don't beat myself up anymore for opting to play video games instead of writing. I've been writing for five years straight anyway. Let's take a brake. Something will give. I hope you get better.

I've been taking my antidepressant for almost a month now, but I still haven't done any writing. I've been told it might be two months on the antidepressant before I get back to normal, so I'll keep on waiting and see how it goes.

Once again, thank you so much for everything.
-maggie

I'm glad you decided to take them and hope it works. It's a very slow process with antidepressants. Give them a chance and check back with us when you can. I'm currently doing some "exposure" treatments to try and improve my agoraphobia that developed from a panic disorder I've been experiencing for the last 10 years. It's a battle. But we've got to get better right? And you can't get better without wanting to get better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.