Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scariest scene in a movie? (Spoiler alert)

figuring it all out
    The Exorcist.

The reason this movie is scary at all is because it was filmed by a documentarian (Billy Friedkin) in a documentary style for the first half of the film, which sets the stage ever so believably. Very serious, very factual. It wasn't the typical horror-genre crap of a bunch of lost dumb kids in the woods being killed by the boogey man. It comes off as very realistic fiction of some privileged wealthy white people (for whom nothing is ever supposed to go wrong) now have the goddamed devil inside of their daughter(!)

AW's resident Velociraptor ShaunHorton's Avatar
    So, it wasn't a horror movie, actually, I can't think of any Horror movies that have actually gotten to me.

The scene in E.T. where he's hiding among the stuffed animals. I was only 4 when I saw it, and my mom had to carry me out of the theater because I wouldn't stop screaming.

Contrast that with Gremlins a year later, where the main little monster, Stripe, was my favorite character out of the whole movie.
    My weekly blog
    My Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    Facebook

It's out! Hannah is finally out of my hands and on Amazon!

"Is there something seriously wrong with you?"
    "Well, yeah, but that's kind of the point."

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcLeod View Post
    It is literally a descent into hell with a vomit-inducing soundtrack, .
    Youtube has this for free online. I'll have to watch it now if only to hear the soundtrack.

EDITED: Apparently there are 2 movies by that name. The one I mentioned (the wrong one) is a 10 minute short. The other one doesn't sound like a movie I could watch.
    Last edited by Tinman; 06-26-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: 2 movies by that name

practical experience, FTW neandermagnon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    This is going to date me. The phone booth scene in The Birds flat terrified me. I had to be under 8 when I saw that on TV. I was also terrified by the scene in the Wizard of Oz when the Wicked Witch tells the monkeys "FLY! Fly!" I don't know if The Birds made me scared of the monkeys or the monkeys made me scared of The Birds.
    I watched the Birds when I was about 13 or 14 and it was proper freaky. What was terrifying though was a couple of days later I was in Trafalgar Square with a friend (who'd also just seen the Birds) and.... yeah, Londoner's know where I'm going with this ...this was back in the day when you still had people selling little pots of bird feed to feed the pigeons. Why we decided to buy some, just days after watching The Birds, I'll never know.

As soon as we had the little pots of feed in our hands, we were mobbed by the entire pigeon population of Trafalgar Square. People watched us screaming for our lives trying to bat all the pigeons away from us wondering why the hell we bought the bloody bird feed if we're that scared of pigeons.

Last edited by neandermagnon; 06-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    my blog - cave people and stuff - an imaginative look at palaeolithic life: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    In the St Louis area we had those movies on KTVI Channel 11. I had two scenes in two different movies that affected me:

Attack of the Giant Leaches. The leaches capture people swimming in a lake and drag them to an underground cave to suck on at their leisure. The people in the cave have these horrible, overly-large, open-wound hickies. In one scene a leach is approaching someone and the victim is screaming "No. Not me. Take someone else." Creeped me out big time, lol.

I don't know the name of the second movie, which I've never seen again, but it was some kind of werewolf/western. I was about 8 years old (give or take 2 years). It was night and my parents were sleeping. I was watching the movie alone in our livingroom -- which adjoined my parents' bedroom. A scene came on where this guy was bedded down near a campfire in the wilderness and this other man appears. They're friendly at first, but then they get into a fist fight and fall behind a large log. You can hear the grunts as they fight and see the occasional fist reach above the log as it prepares to land a blow. Suddenly the grunts turn into growling and you see a hand reach above the log . . . only now the hand is covered in hair and has claws. Not scary at all at this point, not even to an 8-year old. But then I hear the identical noise coming from somewhere behind me. It's coming from my parents' bedroom and I'm for god sure someone in there is turning into a werewolf. I flew up the stairs to my second-floor bedroom and covered my head.

Of course, I realize now it was my dad's snores. But they had never sounded so strange before -- so much like a werewolf undergoing the change.
    That last part is classic!

Action/Adventure/Thriller
    Icky Bug (Horror)
    Fantasy (D&D plot driven)
    Science Fiction Thriller

Web site: http://www.fredrayworth.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeleenasAdv...homepage_panel
    Twitter: @FredRayworth_Writer

Rejections as of Dec 10, 2015 = 689
    Good icky bug is a monster that eats half the characters, they say f***k a lot, and there is gratuitous sex that has nothing to do with the plot! LOL.
    Seriously, Treasure Of The Umbrunna (fantasy) Out now!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Youtube has this for free online. I'll have to watch it now if only to hear the soundtrack.

EDITED: Apparently there are 2 movies by that name. The one I mentioned (the wrong one) is a 10 minute short. The other one doesn't sound like a movie I could watch.
    Yeah, the feature length movie is quite hard to watch.

In The Orphanage, when the strange old woman is hit by the bus and jumps up unexpectedly.

That entire film was creepy scary, but reading subtitles through your fingers makes it all the scarier.

There are a lot of older scary movies, but as of late, the movie Green room was terrifying in a very raw and real way. If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommenced it.

It wasn't until last year that I was really freaked out by a scary movie, and I'd watched a fair amount--even The Exorcist--always complaining that scary movies weren't scary. The movie that finally got me was The Conjuring. And I don't know if I can really pinpoint it down to a single scene (maybe one of the scenes toward the end), but it left me feeling very dark afterward, even hours later. I'm very fascinated by spirits, but that movie had something wrapped around it and everywhere inside, and I wish I hadn't watched it. I felt like I had done more than watch a movie--like I had invited something unpleasant into the room. Maybe I'm just sensitive.
    Author of Across Carina - Visit me on Facebook and Goodreads

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin DeadMoon's Avatar
    It might now be the scariest but it sure is memorable. The scene in the Exercised where Regan crab walks down the stairs.. It only lasts a few seconds on screen but a lifetime in my head.
    So it goes...

Not your mother's dragon RedDragoness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    All scenes with long-haired Japanese ghosts creep me out and I always watch them with the lights on Especially when they go through the tv screen and into the room with the viewer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alma Matters View Post
    For me it has to be the climax of The Blair Witch Project when the account given by one of the talking heads at the beginning is finally realised in reality. No thank you. I'm out.

I personally think the entire film is pretty terrifying. I still wouldn't watch it at home, alone, at night.

These, right here. I don't get scared by much, but "The Ring" (both the Japanese original and the U.S. remake) scared the living crap out of me, and with both it was the scene where she climbs out of the well and walks towards the camera.

And the final shot in "Blair Witch," of that kid in the corner just before the cameraperson gets clunked on the head. OMG I did NOT sleep the night I saw that.

Also, the scene in "The Shining" where the freezer door opens by itself/from the ghost, who tells Jack Nicholson, "You know what you have to do."

The second-to-last scene in "Rosemary's Baby" where she can hear her neighbors and knows there is some sort of door directly into their apartment, and she follows the sounds...

Nothing else has affected me as much as these four scenes. :-)
    ~Speculative fiction from dark, dark places~

When I was a kid I watched The Evil Dead. Terrified the ever-loving poop out of me. The scene where the girl jumps up against the cellar door, after making them think she was human again. Doesn't help we actually had a cellar door at my house.

Plenty of scenes in the remake of The Blob scared me as a kid. There's that scene in which a boy fell into the Blob, and emerged out of it seconds later, his skin melting away. He sinks back in. That's one of the scariest. Now? Nothing much can scare me.

Then there's that other movie - The Thing, the 1982 version. One scene got stuck in my head for a really long time, until present. It's when a Norris-thing bursts out of Norris, ending up crawling on the ceiling. Close after that, Norris's head detaching itself and skittering away. No wonder Dead Space took so much inspiration from it! Again, the movie didn't age well, and nothing much scares me these days. The prequel didn't do it justice either.
    Last edited by xbriannova; 08-31-2016 at 01:18 PM.

When Michael Myers walks across the street to kill Laurie.

Tame by today's standards, I guess, but I have nightmares about old Mikey chasing me and this scene freaks me out.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.--Johann Wolfgang Goethe

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.--Vincent Van Gogh

Blair Witch. The first and only movie ever to get me to sleep with the bedroom door open and lights on...lol it was the last scene, the way it ended that got me!
    the Ring. only because of a real life occurrence. See, it was a Sunday night when we had seen it. And a week goes by. Next Sunday...same time at night...I'm in a Meijer. no one is around and the back of the store there were a bunch of tvs flashing the snowy static. well, 1 one off, 3 were just straight static and the 1 was flashing static.... in the aisle over I hear a faint repetitive Wilhelm scream.... i took one look at the tvs and then bolted out of that area.

wasn't scared when i first saw Exorcist, or the Omen...or any of those types of classic movies...

oh and Lovely Molly is one of my fav movies!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie007 View Post
    Blair Witch. The first and only movie ever to get me to sleep with the bedroom door open and lights on...
    I haven't watched Blair Witch

Thick Skin Pre-Installed Zombie Fraggle's Avatar
    John Carpenter's remake of The Thing (1982) still scares the holy bejeezus out of me, in particular the scene where the one guy's head grows king crab legs and skitters across the floor.

I'm also terrified of the scene in Philip Kaufman's 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers when you see a pug with a human head.

I'll have nightmares tonight just for mentioning these. *shudders*

practical experience, FTW Tazlima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMoon View Post
    It might now be the scariest but it sure is memorable. The scene in the Exercised where Regan crab walks down the stairs.. It only lasts a few seconds on screen but a lifetime in my head.
    I agree that this is the creepiest scene, but sadly many people who have seen The Exorcist never got to watch it. It was cut from the original release because they couldn't get the effects to look right. It was only years later, when they were able to use updated technology to make it look better, that it was put back in, and as far as I know, it still only appears in extended editions/directors cuts. Definitely the best part, though!
    "One of the hardest things to do, I think, is learn to trust your own creativity." - Ambrosia

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    When I was about nine, my mom let my older sister and me stay up to watch The Haunting one night (not the horrible 1999 remake but the original 1963 b&w film starring Julie Harris as Eleanor). There's a scene in which Eleanor and Theo (Claire Bloom) are asleep in their bedroom and Eleanor wakes up to the sound of voices. There's no special effects, no nothing - just Eleanor watching a pattern on the wall and listening. It scared the life of out me. Here's the scene on YouTube.

I've been startled by the scenes in Jaws and Alien that others have cited, but the only movie that truly creeped me out in the same way as The Haunting was The Sixth Sense. Every time the poor kid realized he's about to get another ghostly visitor, I was just as terrified as he was.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post
    I've been startled by the scenes in Jaws
    That, to me, is the scariest scene in horror movie history. The fact that you never see the shark, and you imagination is left to construct the scene of what is going on under the water.........horrifying.....

I shouldn't admit this, I'm still mocked during family reunions for it. My parents picked Jaws up from the DVD bargain when I was a kid (around 4 or so I'd say). After watching it, I refuse to get under the covers for bedtime, afraid that a Great White possibly lurked beneath my retro Star Wars sheets. ....and......

practical experience, FTW grandma2isaac's Avatar
    Afraid now??

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    For me, it's no contest:

Silence of the Lambs - "I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."

The final scene where Dr. Lecter hangs up the phone and melts into the crowd of tourists, stalking his long-time enemy Dr. Chilton, all accompanied by a climactic disharmonious score, still gives me gooseflesh.

A close second would be the opening scene of Jurassic Park, but it's more thrilling than scary.
    Last edited by Taylor Harbin; 09-17-2016 at 06:42 AM.
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

figuring it all out Albert Buck's Avatar
    The introduction of the Cenobites in Hellraiser was a rough one. Having these brutal creatures under bright lights was an interesting turn, in that it gave the impession they no longer have to reside in the shadows. Alien and Exorcist were fantastic too, and the Hell scene from Event Horizon made me want to exit 1998 as quickly as possible -- just to put some distance between me and the night I saw it.

US remake of the Grudge was the last movie to scare me (and to do it as I was an adult)

I think Ghost Story has some scary scenes in it.

I agree that the introduction of the Cenobites had a great atmosphere to it. I also second The Exorcist spider walk.

As usual it wasn't a horror film that scared me but, of course, Superman 3 when that evil lady gets turned into a robot. Ha!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast