Media Player Advice, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Today I tried to watch a DVD on my laptop. Opened up the video player that came with it, clicked Eject, put in the DVD, shut the tray, and...nothing. Ejected and closed again and..."Toshiba Video Player stopped working." All the while the cursor is going really slow and I have to use Task Manager to shut the program off. I updated to Windows 10 last month, so maybe it's a compatibility problem. Unfortunately, I can't download an update for the video player because it looks like Toshiba doesn't support it anymore. :Headbang:

No biggie, right? I've heard that people who've updated to 10 can download a version of Windows Media Player that can play DVDs. So I checked the Windows store, and yes, it is free...plus in-app purchases, whatever that means.

Tried it again after dinner in case the video player problem was a one-time fluke. Nope, still not playing, even after trying with a different DVD.

So, should I download Media Player or look for an alternative? Thanks!

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
VLC or Media Player Classic that comes with the K-Lite Codec Pack are excellent players with none of the BS-interface and invasive character of Windows Media Player and/or the ghastly OEM substitutes. Uninstall the Toshiba player, install one of the good ones, and tell Winders to use it.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I have the VLC media player. I had the same problem two weeks ago, trying to watch a DVD in Windows Media Player on Windows 10 and I couldn't. I downloaded the VLC player and I use it exclusively to play DVD's.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I downloaded VLC yesterday. It took me a little while to figure out a few basic functions (like how to eject a disc), but otherwise it works fine.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just purchased a Dell laptop. It came with Power Media Player, which, from what I gather from the internet, will play DVDs. Should I try it out first or should I just download VLC right off the bat? Thanks!

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Power Media Player on my Dell laptop plays DVDs just fine, so you might as well give it a try and see if you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.