What would you advise one on writing his first sonnet?

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Write something. Just get started. That way you have something to build on and learn from. Will your first try stink? Probably. So what? Notebooks have a hundred sheets of paper. You don't have to get it right the first time. As long as each draft improves you doing great.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Given the breadth of your question, I can only give some very broad advice. I will assume you are familiar with the various forms of sonnets (there's more than one) or at least the particular form you want to use. If not, you can easily find plenty of information online. e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnet

(1) Read a bunch of sonnets. Get a feel for the meter and the way the stresses fall. If you are working with a formal form such as a sonnet, you should be rigorous about this -- do not fluff it with too many or too few syllables, or with stresses falling in the wrong places.

(2) That said, as with any poem, you should not hopelessly contort your words and stuff a bunch of unnecessary ones in simply so you have the right number of syllables and the rhyme falls at the end. If the line does not read cleanly, easily, and naturally, rewrite it. This is poetry. It matters.

(3) Each line should add something to your poem. Do not keep repeating the same idea (or stick in random unnecessary ideas) just so you get in the proper number of lines and end rhymes. It really is not enough that your poem fits the form and rhymes -- it should say something, and every word should count. (Again, I would apply this thought to any poem.)

(4) If you do not know this already, your sonnet should have a turn (aka volta), wherein the poem changes direction, emotion, or emphasis. Again, plenty of information on this online, including where it should fall in your poem.

ETA:

Here's a very simplified primer: https://blog.udemy.com/how-to-write-a-sonnet-poem/

Last edited:

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Our AW Poet Laureate has given great advice. I suspect most of what I'll say will be merely rephrasing what she says, but here goes.

First, you should be very familiar with the sonnet form, or, perhaps I should say the different sonnet forms: Petrarchan, Shakespearean, and more. The content ought to make sense with the form of the sonnet.

I'd suggest, if you haven't done so already, that you pick up a couple of used college level textbooks on poetry, almost all of which will include lots of information on the sonnet. I have a whole bookshelf of them, purchased mostly for $0.50 to $1.50 at thrift stores.

Familiarity with iambic meter is a must, and with how to make the meter pleasant to the ear through avoiding sing-songy regularity. That takes a lot of practice for some, less for others. I was fortunate that iambic came fairly natural to me. Others struggle with it. At some point you'll need to add rhyme, without forced rhyme, archaisms, or tortured syntax to achieve rhyme (and meter as well).

Then you have to come up with a story plot that can be completed in 14 lines of iambic and appear completely natural. Progressive subject matter if you write in Shakespearean form, strong volta if you write in Petrarchan form.

Read, read, read. Write, write, write. Study, study, study. Critique, critique, critique.

Best Regards,
NDG

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, don't be afraid if it sucks. First attempts at new forms often suck. Write more of them, and you'll get better.

Secondly, while generally I like breaking the rules, as the saying goes, you should learn them before breaking them. So yes, start off by becoming familiar with the traditional forms and try to stick to one of them (whether it be Shakespearean, Petrarchan, Spenserian, etc.). Do keep in mind that many poets (including the masters) will "break" the rules, and they do this purposefully. Eventually, you can do it, too, but you need to learn the form first before you can start messing with it..

Thirdly, if you think your poem will be dramatically improved by doing something that is against form, go ahead and do that instead. It's your poem. But try to think about why you're doing it, and why you've chosen this form. Ultimately, you want to get to the point where you can think "I think this poem would work best as a sonnet" rather than "I want to write a sonnet, and now I must think of something to write about". That may take a lot of time and many sonnets, though.

Lastly, from a practical perspective, try not to lock yourself into a rhyming scheme that leaves you stretching for obscure words to make it work. Sometimes, English can make this difficult. Sometimes, a bad word choice can throw your whole poem off. But sometimes, creativity can turn an unexpected word into a great choice.

Good luck.

Edit: One more thing. When you're reading a lot of sonnets, try to read contemporary ones too. When you're only exposure to sonnets are poems from four hundred years ago, it can have a weird impact on how you write and approach the form. A lot of people have written sonnets since Petrarch and Shakespeare, and a lot of people have done a lot of new and different things with it since then.

Last edited:

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I think I'ma try free verse for what my dad wanted for Father's Day.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If it's a poem for your father, then I'm sure he will love it no matter what you do. Don't let us tell you. :)

absolutely. I guarantee he will love whatever your heart moves you to create.

cellajam

Not the one and only
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I think I'ma try free verse for what my dad wanted for Father's Day.

:) Free verse is not necessarity easier or structureless, but whatever you choose just go at it whole-heartedly and have fun putting it together.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. :)

Let us know if you want help with the actual work once you have a draft. The crit forum is a fine place with kind people who can help with the nuts and bolts.