AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [ePub] Moby Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Charke's Avatar

[ePub] Moby Books

Cheers All,

Moby Books has appeared on Craigslist as a Vancouver based E-Publisher looking for manuscripts. I haven't been able to find anything about them. Their website is one page plus a stock submission form. There is very little information. I'd like to know who works there. There is a children's publisher by the same name who keeps popping up during searches. They don't seem to be on Absolute Write at all yet. It looks like they just started. Does anyone know anything about them?

Link Website
    http://www.moby-books.com/

Link Craigslist (until the add goes down)
    https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/wrg/5623176191.html

Mark Charke
    www.Charke.ca
    Writing the Makes you Think

That's an astonishingly uninformative web page. They have an equally uninformative Twitter account.

Independent ebook publisher Moby Books (Canada) is looking for novels, novellas, and short story collections by emerging and established authors. Authors can submit full length manuscripts or partial queries for consideration. Payment and contract based on a print publishing model. Deadline: ongoing.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Hmm. I just sent them a "mock" submission asking the sort of questions one would normally want answered by a publisher prior to trusting them with one's manuscript. We'll see if they answer. I'll share if they do.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available for pre-order Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    HYOOGE red flags with full klaxons sounding, flashing lights, and fire doors dropping:

1. There is no information about them on their site beyond the submission form. Nada. Nothing. Zero. Blank. Zippo grits.
    2. There is no information about them even on their Twitter page, really.
    3. Not even a blog page.
    4. I'm not even finding any way to contact them beyond the submission form or on Twitter. Seems rather foolish of them to limit their interaction with potential customers or authors.
    5. This little block of information:
      Moby Books has appeared on Craigslist as a Vancouver based E-Publisher looking for manuscripts.
      A publisher worth their salt wouldn't go trawling teh intarwebz like this to look for authors. They'd have other outlets available.

To quote...everybody in the Star Wars films, I have a really bad feeling about this.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 06-08-2016 at 04:52 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

I have snagged great art gigs off Craigslist before. I have NEVER seen a worthwhile publisher on it. Every time I see a publisher trolling Craigslist, I'm pretty sure they'll fall somewhere amid the Filigree's Rule criteria for Run While You Can.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    potential customers or authors.
    I would be astonished if those two groups don't turn out to be one and the same...
    Facebook Twitter Website

You donít have to believe in something to bump into it in a dark alley.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Potato, potato...
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Today I received a polite and intelligent email from Angela Caravan in response to my mock submission and accompanying questions. She stated that she is the principal of Moby Books and while "not very well established in the publishing world," she has a Master's degree in publishing and has worked "in editorial and production for small press in the past (right now I work as an editor and copywriter)." She also says:

1) They are brand new and have not yet published any books, and the sparseness of their website reflects that
    2) They are e-book only and will sell through Kobo, Amazon, Google Books and eventually, their website
    3) They plan on paying advances as well as royalties
    4) Their focus is currently on the local market "with a few feelers on the web"

She actually suggested that I wait to submit until they're a little better established, and that I might wish to subscribe to their newsletter to stay abreast of developments.

In all, I thought it was a considered and refreshingly honest response, and I wish Angela and Moby Books the best as they launch.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 06-10-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available for pre-order Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Okay...that's more honest than the usual response. I'll give her kudos for that.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Oh okay, wasn't expecting that! Fair play to her.
    Facebook Twitter Website

You donít have to believe in something to bump into it in a dark alley.