Does Literary Fiction have a bad rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeannaR

Registered
Reaction score
The first rule of writing is avoid cliches, I know. But here I go breaking the rule anyway. I didn't choose literary fiction. I didn't research the genres and say yes this one this is what i want to write in. Rather, I wrote the story that needed to come out. So yes, Lit fic chose me. After I was part way through I studied the genre's and tried to "place my book on the shelf". I then asked my CW Prof what genre she felt it fit into, as I was struggling to place it. She told me she reads it as literary fiction.

But now, as I read forums, and attempt to write a query letter. I am finding that lit fic..has a bad rep!! I don't understand why. I have had several comments (both on AW forums and elsewhere) that suggest I should not try to sell my book as Lit Fic.

But it is lit fic. It is what it fits into. It is only a label, and I understand it may be harder to sell. But It is what it is. I cannot (will not) change my voice or my book because the genre may be difficult to sell. As much as I love Spec-fic and fantasy, I couldn't write in it, as much as I would love to. My heart is in the type of story I am telling, and that story falls into this genre. And, I'm pretty proud of that!

Besides, if I tried to sell it as anything else I think it would come off pretty poorly.

I think I just needed somewhere to vent some frustrations.

And, while I am here. Should I structure my query letter differently for this genre?

Thanks,
Dee

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And, while I am here. Should I structure my query letter differently for this genre?

Thanks,
Dee

Oops. I suspect it's this comment of mine
I do think if you want to sell this as lit fic (which I'm not sure is a good idea)
that's confusing you. I probably should have been clearer - I meant selling it per query to agents. It's not that lit fic has a bad rep, just that it might be a better idea to keep your options open. Lit fic itself isn't a genre - for the most part it's more the style in which a book was written. There are some books that are purely literary, and if you think yours is one of those, I'd advise putting a lot of voice in the query to prove your point.

That's what I was trying to get at. Sorry if my use of "sell" confused you.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first rule of writing is avoid cliches, I know. But here I go breaking the rule anyway. I didn't choose literary fiction. I didn't research the genres and say yes this one this is what i want to write in. Rather, I wrote the story that needed to come out. So yes, Lit fic chose me. After I was part way through I studied the genre's and tried to "place my book on the shelf". I then asked my CW Prof what genre she felt it fit into, as I was struggling to place it. She told me she reads it as literary fiction.

But now, as I read forums, and attempt to write a query letter. I am finding that lit fic..has a bad rep!! I don't understand why. I have had several comments (both on AW forums and elsewhere) that suggest I should not try to sell my book as Lit Fic.

But it is lit fic. It is what it fits into. It is only a label, and I understand it may be harder to sell. But It is what it is. I cannot (will not) change my voice or my book because the genre may be difficult to sell. As much as I love Spec-fic and fantasy, I couldn't write in it, as much as I would love to. My heart is in the type of story I am telling, and that story falls into this genre. And, I'm pretty proud of that!

Besides, if I tried to sell it as anything else I think it would come off pretty poorly.

Thanks,
Dee

Oh - the other thing is that lit fic is often a tricky proposition and publishers and agents might be less open to it from a debut author (I don't know if you are a debut author) unless the query is totally brilliant. So yes, if I'd written a novel that was purely literary and couldn't be defined in any other genre (as opposed to say a literary memoir or a literary thriller or something) I'd be throwing out the query rules. Otherwise I'd query the thriller and leave the literary part of it up to marketing to decide.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh - the other thing is that lit fic is often a tricky proposition and publishers and agents might be less open to it from a debut author (I don't know if you are a debut author) unless the query is totally brilliant. So yes, if I'd written a novel that was purely literary and couldn't be defined in any other genre (as opposed to say a literary memoir or a literary thriller or something) I'd be throwing out the query rules. Otherwise I'd query the thriller and leave the literary part of it up to marketing to decide.

Yep. This is exactly how to handle it.

DeannaR

Registered
Reaction score
Oops. I suspect it's this comment of mine .

that one is, but that isn't the part confusing me..actually that comment really helped me to take a step back and consider that I should approach it differently :). Which really worked. Ive been spinning my wheels for awhile and after reading your comment I actually got something down which I am proud of :)

The comments I have been getting/seeing across AW and beyond is what is really confusing me. and making me question that Lit Fic has a bad rep. What you said was clear and made sense, if it is lit fic I have to sell it as such. I can't try and force it into a query-style that is made for other styles as it won't show. And if it ISN'T truly lit fic, I cannot attempt to sell it as lit fic. As that would just end badly all around.

I have just heard lots of people, on here on various threads, in articles, and vlogs suggest that a person should never "claim" literary fiction as their genre or style (in these it seems to suggest that by doing do it is raising a "red flag" so to speak)

Sorry, reading this now it seems like it is about your comment. But it was not intended that way :)

DeannaR

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know I am fighting an uphill battle with this one. It is short. It is lit fic. and it is my first novel. I am not sure I could have dug myself a deeper hole if I tried. :(

But, it is what it is at this point. this book may or may not make it. I have started work on a second and will spread my eggs across a couple baskets and see what happens. This may be one which sits on the shelf for awhile until I (if i) make a name for myself (ish).

I appreciate the help. And tossing the rules out the window may be my best bet. Evoke the voice evoke the voice.

Thank you :)

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com

Thanks,
Dee

I don't think anyone has said anything of the sort to you. Not in the way it was construed at least.

For example, I wrote a Lit SF short a couple of months ago. When my writing group, most of whom weren't familiar with SF and its conventions, read the piece it was still obviously Literary in nature to them. I was advised to submit to Lit mags if I wasn't able to place it in an SFF mag. In fact, I was advised that they thought it would fit perfectly into a Lit mag. Like my story, the majority of LitFic can also be classed as something else. So saying a story is Literary doesn't mean much, because Literary isn't a concrete genre. It crosses a wide swath of settings and subject matter.

So I have to ask, what do you mean by Lit Fic. Where is your story set, what is it about, and how is it handled?

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does literary fiction have a bad rep? Meh, don't worry about that because every genre or category gets its share of putdowns. The literary writers get called snobs, the children's writers get called "not real writers because it's obviously simple," and let's not even get started on what the erotica writers get called! Some types of writing have larger audiences than others, but that's only one consideration when deciding what to write. If you decide to go with something possibly more commercial next time (whether with category, length or both) that's fine but I'd say there's also a lot to be said for writing what calls to you. :)

DeannaR

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has said anything of the sort to you. Not in the way it was construed at least.

What I am referring to is beyond the walls of AW. Within the walls are older threads I have read, which comments can go either way. This has been mentioned on various writing blogs, and other such opinion pieces. I tend to over-research sometimes and have found this time and time again. Beyond all that, this has (really) been said to me, with no room for error or misunderstanding.

In QLH this has not been said to me, the earlier miscommunication has been cleared up and I was not referring to that particular comment. There is a difference between a critique and making sure you're in the correct genre (or style) which is my experience at AW, and being told that lit fic is unpublishable and you should never claim your work to be that, because if you do it will be tossed with no further consideration.

This is something that I have come across time and time again and wanted to hear other's opinions on this matter. There was an older thread about the same idea on here as well so I am sure I'm not the only one who has read/heard/been told these things. I love books, all books, from classics, to childrens, to fantasy, spec fic, and science fiction. I love cross genre works that are unexpected and bring something new.

As for my book, my story is commenting on the human condition and societal pressures. It is set in the 1960s and discusses a variety of social issues which were an real issue then, and are still an issue today. Issues which are often seen as taboo and are still not openly talked about. Through this work I am trying to shine a light on some of the darker sides of people and the reasons people do some of the things they do. I don't believe my writing to be overly "flowery" or "poetic" which some attribute to literary fiction, but rather I feel it falls into this category because of the subject and the manner in which the story is being told.

- - - Updated - - -

Does literary fiction have a bad rep? Meh, don't worry about that because every genre or category gets its share of putdowns. The literary writers get called snobs, the children's writers get called "not real writers because it's obviously simple," and let's not even get started on what the erotica writers get called! Some types of writing have larger audiences than others, but that's only one consideration when deciding what to write. If you decide to go with something possibly more commercial next time (whether with category, length or both) that's fine but I'd say there's also a lot to be said for writing what calls to you. :)

Ha, yes I suppose you're right. :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
What I am referring to is beyond the walls of AW. Within the walls are older threads I have read, which comments can go either way. This has been mentioned on various writing blogs, and other such opinion pieces. I tend to over-research sometimes and have found this time and time again. Beyond all that, this has (really) been said to me, with no room for error or misunderstanding.

And, you may have noted from those older threads a decided disparity in opinion on what literary fiction is. Some say it's a style of writing, some say it's a genre. It's both and it's neither. All genre categories have works containing literary elements in the examination of societies and cultures and how they affect the inner world of the individual. Sorry if I'm adding to anyone's confusion, but I've been pounding this for thirty-some-odd years and am incapable of letting it go at this late date. It's exactly as you describe your book: "As for my book, my story is commenting on the human condition and societal pressures."

Take Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice—I'm using that work because most are familiar with it and it's such an easy work to breakdown this way—which most view as a Romance (love and marriage). Romance is the vehicle through which Austen examined a microcosm or encapsulation of a society that viewed money, connections (and pride in those connections), and being "well-bred" as paramount and the means by which classes are delineated. Within that view it was understood that those were all interconnected and one could not be had without the others. Yet, as the novel shows, wealth, connections, and social standing do not guarantee good breeding, nor a felicitous marriage, nor even good sense. So, P&P is a Romance that ends up a romantic comedy on the surface through the external view, but the real story takes place within the main characters by their overcoming excessive pride and prejudice through a re-interpretation of those valued "commodities" and the elevation of good sense in determining character. These changes in the hearts and minds of the characters make the novel a literary Romance.

In QLH this has not been said to me, the earlier miscommunication has been cleared up and I was not referring to that particular comment. There is a difference between a critique and making sure you're in the correct genre (or style) which is my experience at AW, and being told that lit fic is unpublishable and you should never claim your work to be that, because if you do it will be tossed with no further consideration.

That part I placed in bold? It's incorrect. Caveat: Determining whether your work is literary is best handled by your agent and publisher, not you the author. You tell the stories you need to tell.

This is something that I have come across time and time again and wanted to hear other's opinions on this matter. There was an older thread about the same idea on here as well so I am sure I'm not the only one who has read/heard/been told these things. I love books, all books, from classics, to childrens, to fantasy, spec fic, and science fiction. I love cross genre works that are unexpected and bring something new.
See above comment on opinions.

As for my book, my story is commenting on the human condition and societal pressures. It is set in the 1960s and discusses a variety of social issues which were an real issue then, and are still an issue today. Issues which are often seen as taboo and are still not openly talked about. Through this work I am trying to shine a light on some of the darker sides of people and the reasons people do some of the things they do. I don't believe my writing to be overly "flowery" or "poetic" which some attribute to literary fiction, but rather I feel it falls into this category because of the subject and the manner in which the story is being told.

Yet another erroneous idea some have about literary fiction--that it's flowery. That the prose is purple. Nope, some of the best literary fiction written uses and has used simple evocative language.

Nathan Bransford makes one of the best attempts at explaining literary fiction that I've seen in this old blog post: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/02/what-makes-literary-fiction-literary.html

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I have just heard lots of people, on here on various threads, in articles, and vlogs suggest that a person should never "claim" literary fiction as their genre or style (in these it seems to suggest that by doing do it is raising a "red flag" so to speak)

I don't know that it's a red flag, but it's not something with an agreed upon definition. It really isn't.

Now, since you're going to be individually crafting your queries for each agent/editor/etc, I'd look to see if they rep/publish lit fic and say so, using the phrase itself.

Otherwise, I wouldn't use the phrase. I would freely use any other genre descriptions that fit your book. Keep in mind that a single book can belong to three or four genres, easily, and even another two or three marketing categories (think of this as where the book is shelved, and keep in mind that were you to create a Venn diagram for marketing categories/genres, there'd be overlap).

And absolutely, look to see if they've repped /published books that are similar to yours in genre(s) no matter what they call it.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

A great many agents WANT lit fic. I've seen it on numerous websites etc. Check out querytracker.net for references.

So, don't sweat it. And dissenting opinion here: if you query one of those agents, go ahead and say it's literary fiction or literary whatever it is. But if you do, make sure your query has a lot of voice.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reactions: DeannaR

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There are more agents listed on querytracker who say they take literary fiction (528) than commercial (412) or thrillers/suspense (331) or romance (225) or fantasy (180), or even YA (480).

Doesn't sound like it has a bad rap to me.

I don't think it does, for publishers/editors/book stores, but like anything else, SF, Autobiography, Romance, there are people who love it, and people who don't.

So as an author, look for the people who you think are more likely to love your book, always.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

A great many agents WANT lit fic. I've seen it on numerous websites etc. Check out querytracker.net for references.

So, don't sweat it. And dissenting opinion here: if you query one of those agents, go ahead and say it's literary fiction or literary whatever it is. But if you do, make sure your query has a lot of voice.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Not so sure you're the dissenting opinion, Siri. I never said Lit wasn't marketable as such, just reminded the OP that Lit often fits within other categories. To be honest, without reading or further elaboration on the topics covered, I would clasify the OP's work as more mainstream in terms of Literary fiction. The period piece that isn't quite historical like 60's or even something set in the 80s is fairly common in Lit Fic that doesn't fall into a clearly defined genre in addition to being Literary. It's what is commonly thought of as Lit Fic in addition to something in a contemporary setting.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like you think calling something literary fiction makes it better or if it's good writing it has to be labeled as literary fiction. You are wrong on both those. I am speaking as a lover of contemporary literary fiction and don't know why you would there's anything negative about today's literary fiction. Sure, people that don't read or like literary works have used the snob word, but you say you have done research? Did that include coming across who won the booker award or the pulitzer? Did you read those books? That is much more relevant to your research, don't you think. And when literary writers query an agent they don't say, "I wrote a literary novel." They say, "I wrote a novel and my publications include The Paris Review and I have four pushcarts." Or they just say I wrote a novel.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's what Deanna's saying. Earlier she stated the reason she considers her novel a literary work:

And in a less rambling way than my earlier post: I concur with her assessment.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
OP, I notice you mentioned your creative writing class. Creative writing classes can often bias a bit towards literary. It's not really a bad thing--classes, especially at universities, tend to aggregate people who read widely and eclectically. This makes them excellent critters and also perhaps a bit prone to focusing on voice and experimentation over what the story is. I've been in classes where everything gets called literary, and everyone is trying to write literary, even if the stories are quite varied--which is one of the pleasures of literary as a label. It just makes it less useful for pitching.

Look at genre pragmatically, as a way to sell the book. Part of the process of submitting to agents and publishers is distancing yourself a bit from personal judgments. It doesn't mean your preferences don't matter, just that you can change the focus of how it's pitched without changing the true nature of the project itself. So like Lillith said, pick a few overlapping labels. Look at the ways your story is similar, and the ways in which it's different. The purpose of a pitch is not to box the book in. It's to give a quick summary so the agent knows what she's dealing with before reading it.

DeannaR

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like you think calling something literary fiction makes it better or if it's good writing it has to be labeled as literary fiction. You are wrong on both those. I am speaking as a lover of contemporary literary fiction and don't know why you would there's anything negative about today's literary fiction. Sure, people that don't read or like literary works have used the snob word, but you say you have done research? Did that include coming across who won the booker award or the pulitzer? Did you read those books? That is much more relevant to your research, don't you think. And when literary writers query an agent they don't say, "I wrote a literary novel." They say, "I wrote a novel and my publications include The Paris Review and I have four pushcarts." Or they just say I wrote a novel.

This is not what i am saying. At all. I don't think there is anything negative about todays lit fic. I read it, i love it. You missed my point completely. It is in the research of querying, hows, tips, etc where I am coming across this. Not within those who write it, or works written.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read that in your post either FWIW.

DeannaR

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate all the insight. I will see if i can find an appropriate overlap. I have put a lot of research into agents and selected in a few waves which ones to submit to based on their desire for lit fic, and books/authors they rep.

I think this is all a matter of too much 'research' and nerves ;) thanks again.

I'm away from my computer at the moment so Im just posting a quick reply i will check back soon and answer with a bit more detail soon.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's what Deanna's saying. Earlier she stated the reason she considers her novel a literary work:

Her work might be literary fiction, but she said she did research and came up with the idea that there's some bad feeling about literary fiction today. I don't know what kind of research she's doing, but it sure doesn't seem the right kind of research to get a feel for today's literary market.

I just don't see the point and personally think it seems kind of amateur to call something a literary novel vs. just calling it a novel. Sure, make sure that agent of publisher takes literary fiction, if that is indeed what it is, but I don't think it has to be said in a query. And I did get from the OP the feeling she thought her work was somehow better if it was called literary.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Her work might be literary fiction, but she said she did research and came up with the idea that there's some bad feeling about literary fiction today. I don't know what kind of research she's doing, but it sure doesn't seem the right kind of research to get a feel for today's literary market.

I just don't see the point and personally think it seems kind of amateur to call something a literary novel vs. just calling it a novel. Sure, make sure that agent of publisher takes literary fiction, if that is indeed what it is, but I don't think it has to be said in a query. And I did get from the OP the feeling she thought her work was somehow better if it was called literary.

I read Deanna's OP and her responses to comments and came away with an entirely different view. Subjectivity, hey?

Status
Not open for further replies.