*insert awkward waving-hello gif here*

beckyhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Hello out there! If you're reading this, I assume you're a newbie yourself or a member of the welcome wagon swinging by to greet newcomers. It's nice to meet you! (Hoo boy, it's very strange introducing myself to no one in particular.) My name is Becky and I'm an environmental lawyer (day job)/aspiring writer (nights and weekends and vacations and holidays job) based in the Washington, DC area -- Alexandria, Virginia, to be precise. I have an old hound dog named Walter and spend most of my free time cultivating various pop culture obsessions. If you ever want to talk for an indefinite amount of time about Game of Thrones, the X-Files, or Hamilton, I'm your girl.

More relevant to your interests, I've been working on a novel for about three years now, toiling away in complete solitude, and I finally decided it was time to get out there, meet some other writers, maybe try to find a critique partner or two so I can stop shouting into my lonely echo chamber. My WIP is a humorous, character-driven novel set in the hot and humid weirdness of central Florida. It somehow manages to involve manatees, basketball, gambling, bribery, and various other elements that sound too disparate to make any sense but hopefully add up to a fun reading experience. I'm excited to hear about what other folks are working on and get advice from those of you who know way more about the craft of writing than I do. Please introduce yourself -- I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Becky

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Becky.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Becky. Is your work-in-progress a mystery novel? Sounds as if it could be.

beckyhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the greetings! Nice to meet you all!

Becky, hello from fellow a Virginian down here in Richmond!

Yeah Virginia! w00t! I love Richmond. Hardywood beer is my #1 jam.

:welcome:, Becky. Is your work-in-progress a mystery novel? Sounds as if it could be.

It doesn't follow the conventions of the genre, so I'd have to say no. But it does have a few mystery elements in the sense that the MC uncovers various conspiracies and secrets. I'm trying to finish my second draft in the next couple weeks so I can finally get some feedback on it... I think it could be appealing to fans of mysteries!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Becky. Sound interesting. Which genre would you categorize it as?